too many windows pop open

Deb0424

too many windows pop open
For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start opening out
of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end task IE in order to
close them all. What causes this and how can I fix it please.
Display name:

Re: too many windows pop open
Install a spyware utility.

Deb0424 wrote:
> For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start
> opening out of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end
> task IE in order to close them all. What causes this and how can I
> fix it please.

Don Varnau

Re: too many windows pop open
Hi,
Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)

This is probably being caused by malware (spyware, trojan, hijacker, etc.)
See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Removing Malware:

Partial list of forums- there are others:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look for
one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
you choose, for specific instructions.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Deb0424" <Deb0424@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start opening

out
> of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end task IE in order to
> close them all. What causes this and how can I fix it please.

Lorann

Re: too many windows pop open

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
>
> This is probably being caused by malware (spyware, trojan, hijacker, etc.)
> See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
> of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:
>
> The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>
> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> Removing Malware:
>
> Partial list of forums- there are others:
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
> http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
>
> You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look for
> one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
> you choose, for specific instructions.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Deb0424" <Deb0424@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start opening

> out
> > of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end task IE in order to
> > close them all. What causes this and how can I fix it please.

Deb0424

Re: too many windows pop open
I have Microsoft One Care and Spybot installed on my PC. I'm using Vista SP1

> Hi,
> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
>
> This is probably being caused by malware (spyware, trojan, hijacker, etc.)
> See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
> of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:
>
> The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>
> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> Removing Malware:
>
> Partial list of forums- there are others:
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
> http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
>
> You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look
> for
> one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
> you choose, for specific instructions.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Deb0424" <Deb0424@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start opening

> out
>> of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end task IE in order
>> close them all. What causes this and how can I fix it please.

Lorann

Re: too many windows pop open
This is happening to me also, ver annoying. What's the difference between
spyware utility and a virus program like McAfee that I have. Also why doesn't
a scan find these?

"Display name:" wrote:

> Install a spyware utility.
>
> Deb0424 wrote:
> > For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start
> > opening out of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end
> > task IE in order to close them all. What causes this and how can I
> > fix it please.

Re: too many windows pop open
=> Multiple browser windows open when you click on a mailto: link:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MailtoProtocol.htm

=> However, chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware
infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Deb0424 wrote:
> For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start opening
> out of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end task IE in
> order
> to close them all. What causes this and how can I fix it please.

Deb0424

Re: too many windows pop open
I used the one care live online scan and it didn't find any thing wrong.

>=> Multiple browser windows open when you click on a mailto: link:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MailtoProtocol.htm
>
> => However, chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware
> infection.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Deb0424 wrote:
>> For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start opening
>> out of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end task IE in
>> order
>> to close them all. What causes this and how can I fix it please.

Re: too many windows pop open
And #1 and #3?

Deb0424 wrote:
> I used the one care live online scan and it didn't find any thing wrong.

>> => Multiple browser windows open when you click on a mailto: link:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MailtoProtocol.htm
>>
>> => However, chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware
>> infection.
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your
>> hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> this
>> isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Deb0424 wrote:
>>> For some reason lately when I'm using IE7 dozens of windows start
>>> opening
>>> out of the blue and I have to go to my task manager to end task IE in
>>> order
>>> to close them all. What causes this and how can I fix it please.

Deb0424

Re: too many windows pop open
It has nothing to do with a mailto link and I have ran spybot and have
onecare on my computer all the time.

>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm