IE version old messages when I am running IE 7

Tiger92

IE version old messages when I am running IE 7
A week ago I had to resent my IE back to the default configuration. Today I
tried to conduct a Microsoft update of my computer but got a message saying
that the version of IE was too old. I re-loaded IE 7, but I continue to get
the same message. How can I get programs to recognize the IE 7 that I am
running?

Re: IE version old messages when I am running IE 7
Post the complete (verbatim) error message.

What third-party firewall is installed?

> A week ago I had to resent my IE back to the default configuration.

Why? Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)
when posting to this newsgroup.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tiger92 wrote:
> A week ago I had to resent my IE back to the default configuration. Today
> tried to conduct a Microsoft update of my computer but got a message
> saying
> that the version of IE was too old. I re-loaded IE 7, but I continue to
> get
> the same message. How can I get programs to recognize the IE 7 that I am
> running?

Tiger92

RE: IE version old messages when I am running IE 7

Thanks for the reply.

I will try to answer your questions below:

I reset IE because it was not running properly. It has been locking up and
showing us screens saying that the web page we were looking for was not
availavle, and refreshing was not successful in fixing the problem. As it
was unusable after all attempts to fix it, we decided to re-set it.

We are running WinXP v5.1.2600, SP3

The IE we are running says it is version 7.0.5730.13

The firewall we are running is Panda Antivirus/Firewall 2008 version 7.0

The error message I get from Microsoft when I try to do a Microsoft Update is:

"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer
Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from
the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest
critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on
Automatic Updates:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one
of the following:
Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the
Automatic Updates tab.
Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned
off. "

I get a similar message from Netflix as well (i.e., that my browser version
is below that needed - which is ver 6 for Netflix).

"Tiger92" wrote:

> A week ago I had to resent my IE back to the default configuration. Today I
> tried to conduct a Microsoft update of my computer but got a message saying
> that the version of IE was too old. I re-loaded IE 7, but I continue to get
> the same message. How can I get programs to recognize the IE 7 that I am
> running?

Re: IE version old messages when I am running IE 7
Is Automatic Updates enabled? See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

If you (1) disable the Panda Firewall (FW) and then (2) enable the Windows
FW, do any of these problems persist?
--
~PA Bear

Tiger92 wrote:
> I reset IE because it was not running properly. It has been locking up
> and
> showing us screens saying that the web page we were looking for was not
> availavle, and refreshing was not successful in fixing the problem. As it
> was unusable after all attempts to fix it, we decided to re-set it.
>
> We are running WinXP v5.1.2600, SP3
>
> The IE we are running says it is version 7.0.5730.13
>
> The firewall we are running is Panda Antivirus/Firewall 2008 version 7.0
>
> The error message I get from Microsoft when I try to do a Microsoft Update
> is:
>
> "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
>
> To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or
> later...
> If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from
> the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest
> critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates...
> <snip>
>
> I get a similar message from Netflix as well (i.e., that my browser
> version
> is below that needed - which is ver 6 for Netflix).
>
> "Tiger92" wrote:
>> A week ago I had to resent my IE back to the default configuration.
>> Today
>> I tried to conduct a Microsoft update of my computer but got a message
>> saying that the version of IE was too old. I re-loaded IE 7, but I
>> continue to get the same message. How can I get programs to recognize
>> the
>> IE 7 that I am running?

hpizzle

Re: IE version old messages when I am running IE 7
Tiger 92,

Were you able to solve the problem? I'm experiencing the same thing!

Thanks!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Automatic Updates enabled? See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>
> If you (1) disable the Panda Firewall (FW) and then (2) enable the Windows
> FW, do any of these problems persist?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Tiger92 wrote:
> > I reset IE because it was not running properly. It has been locking up
> > and
> > showing us screens saying that the web page we were looking for was not
> > availavle, and refreshing was not successful in fixing the problem. As it
> > was unusable after all attempts to fix it, we decided to re-set it.
> >
> > We are running WinXP v5.1.2600, SP3
> >
> > The IE we are running says it is version 7.0.5730.13
> >
> > The firewall we are running is Panda Antivirus/Firewall 2008 version 7.0
> >
> > The error message I get from Microsoft when I try to do a Microsoft Update
> > is:
> >
> > "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> >
> > To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or
> > later...
> > If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from
> > the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest
> > critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates...
> > <snip>
> >
> > I get a similar message from Netflix as well (i.e., that my browser
> > version
> > is below that needed - which is ver 6 for Netflix).
> >
> > "Tiger92" wrote:
> >> A week ago I had to resent my IE back to the default configuration.
> >> Today
> >> I tried to conduct a Microsoft update of my computer but got a message
> >> saying that the version of IE was too old. I re-loaded IE 7, but I
> >> continue to get the same message. How can I get programs to recognize
> >> the
> >> IE 7 that I am running?

stinkey is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE version old messages when I am running IE 7
Make sure the userAgent knows it is Windows. I found this problem when working on a system that had to be repaired via CD/install. The system was unable to connect to the WindowsUpdate site, manual or automatic. I found the following registry key/entry (string value) to be the cause of this problem (exported before deleting, Mac OS?):

<b>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\C urrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]</b>
@="Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011912 Firefox/3.0.6
Accept-encode: "

This may have been caused (remnants of) by spy/malware. I do know that deleting this string value fixed the problem. The system recreates a string value named (default) with a value of "value not set" under this key. In my search to fix this I always exported my registry values before deleting them.Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpizzle View Post