problem with constant security certificate and blocked sites.

Richard

problem with constant security certificate and blocked sites.
i am having a problem with internet explorer. I get restricted from sites
because explorer tells me that the site is trying to use activex in an unsafe
manner, and am blocked from sites because suposedly the security cirtificate
isnt valid. thes sites i use often, and can se even now with no problems on
other computers. i cant even run a secuity check from microsofts own site
because its telling me even this site is using activex in an unsafe manner.
ive updated everything, installed the latest explorer, updated all my
antivirus software and its still the same. anybody any answers.

am running xp with all service packs and latest explorer + avast antivirus
Daniel Crichton

Re: problem with constant security certificate and blocked sites.
Richard wrote on Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:22:00 -0800:

> i am having a problem with internet explorer. I get restricted from
> sites because explorer tells me that the site is trying to use activex
> in an unsafe manner, and am blocked from sites because suposedly the
> security cirtificate isnt valid. thes sites i use often, and can se
> even now with no problems on other computers. i cant even run a
> secuity check from microsofts own site because its telling me even
> this site is using activex in an unsafe manner.
> ive updated everything, installed the latest explorer, updated all my
> antivirus software and its still the same. anybody any answers.

> am running xp with all service packs and latest explorer + avast
> antivirus

This sounds like your trusted root certificate store could be corrupt. These
root certificates are used to validate the SSL certificates from sites and
the ActiveX control signatures for signed controls, and so would impact them
both.

I'm not sure how you would go about repairing this if it is the problem,
however I'd suggested running an IE repair, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

--
Dan

Robert Aldwinckle

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4A35240-7E88-4915-B6E4-88B96DF856AC@microsoft.com...
>i am having a problem with internet explorer. I get restricted from sites
> because explorer tells me that the site is trying to use activex in an unsafe
> manner, and am blocked from sites because suposedly the security cirtificate
> isnt valid. thes sites i use often, and can se even now with no problems on
> other computers. i cant even run a secuity check from microsofts own site
> because its telling me even this site is using activex in an unsafe manner.
> ive updated everything, installed the latest explorer, updated all my
> antivirus software and its still the same. anybody any answers.
>

> am running xp with all service packs and latest explorer + avast antivirus

I'm wondering if your AV could be the problem. E.g. the symptom
with security certificates could be a sign of a man-in-the-middle
interception of an encrypted transmission. (Fiddler2 would be another
cause along this tack.) I know that there is at least one AV which has
a "feechur" which tries to scan all inbound HTTP traffic. If you have such
a feature enabled (or any other ones which might be interfering with the
legitimate data transmission you should try try disabling them or removing
the app which does it. Make sure that you at least have the Windows
firewall active in place of whatever security features you disable.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---