ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista

BerlinTop

ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista
Just try to open the following file:
http://www.rnax.de/presentations/RNAi Animation.wmv

On my XP-machine, the IE 7.0 opens WMP11, and playback starts.

On my Vista (Ultimate) machine, IE 7.0 says: "Page cannot be displayed"

Why IE 7.0 would not start WMP 11 to playback the file? (File association is
set correctly)

Any clue? I have seen several other posts relating to that, but no good
answer anywhere.

Re: ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista
[Forwarded to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player via crosspost]

BerlinTop wrote:
> Just try to open the following file:
> http://www.rnax.de/presentations/RNAi Animation.wmv
>
> On my XP-machine, the IE 7.0 opens WMP11, and playback starts.
>
> On my Vista (Ultimate) machine, IE 7.0 says: "Page cannot be displayed"
>
> Why IE 7.0 would not start WMP 11 to playback the file? (File association
> is
> set correctly)
>
> Any clue? I have seen several other posts relating to that, but no good
> answer anywhere.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista

The MIME type is set wrong:
===
telnet www.rnax.de 80
Trying 213.198.47.5...
Connected to www.rnax.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /presentations/RNAi%20Animation.wmv HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:49:03 GMT
Server: Rapidsite/Apa/1.3.33 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.22
OpenSSL/0.9.8d
Last-Modified: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:37:12 GMT
ETag: "fbcb67-28d4f8-495b2f38"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
===

The correct MIME type is video/x-ms-wmv. There's no registered handler for
application/x-ms-wmv. Fix that first. If you're still having problems when
that's set correctly, post up then and I'll look again. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.
> [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player via crosspost]
>
> BerlinTop wrote:
>> Just try to open the following file:
>> http://www.rnax.de/presentations/RNAi Animation.wmv
>>
>> On my XP-machine, the IE 7.0 opens WMP11, and playback starts.
>>
>> On my Vista (Ultimate) machine, IE 7.0 says: "Page cannot be displayed"
>>
>> Why IE 7.0 would not start WMP 11 to playback the file? (File association
>> is
>> set correctly)
>>
>> Any clue? I have seen several other posts relating to that, but no good
>> answer anywhere.

BerlinTop

Re: ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista
Why mime-types?
When you paste the URL directly in WMP 11, playback starts, even in VISTA.
So, mime-types should not be the issue, as far as I understand things.

Further, WMP 11 is launched when the URL is entered in IE 7.0 on a
XP-machine. So, mime-types should not be the issue, again.

Third, ALWAYS, when IE 7.0 is supposed to open WMP11 to playback media
contents on the VISTA-machine (e.g. when trying to play a radio station), IE
fails to open WMP11. When the URL is entered in WMP11 directly (..open URL),
playback starts without any problem. This is true for ANY media content.

This is not a playback problem of WMP11, and is not related to media types.
It is related to a problem that IE does not know what program to open to
start playback. Then it does not know better than bringing up the error page:
"page cannot be displayed" - which is not pointing the user in a correct
direction.

Again: all file associations for media files are correctly set to WMP11 (and
WMP11 plays them, when it is told to do so directly). IE 7.0 does not hand
over the request to WMP11, for some strange reason.

Did the point come across this time? If not, I am happy to repeat the prayer
again and again.

Hayyp new year, folks.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> The MIME type is set wrong:
> ===
> telnet www.rnax.de 80
> Trying 213.198.47.5...
> Connected to www.rnax.de.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD /presentations/RNAi%20Animation.wmv HTTP/1.0
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:49:03 GMT
> Server: Rapidsite/Apa/1.3.33 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.22
> OpenSSL/0.9.8d
> Last-Modified: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:37:12 GMT
> ETag: "fbcb67-28d4f8-495b2f38"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> ===
>
> The correct MIME type is video/x-ms-wmv. There's no registered handler for
> application/x-ms-wmv. Fix that first. If you're still having problems when
> that's set correctly, post up then and I'll look again. =)
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> > [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player via crosspost]
> >
> > BerlinTop wrote:
> >> Just try to open the following file:
> >> http://www.rnax.de/presentations/RNAi Animation.wmv
> >>
> >> On my XP-machine, the IE 7.0 opens WMP11, and playback starts.
> >>
> >> On my Vista (Ultimate) machine, IE 7.0 says: "Page cannot be displayed"
> >>
> >> Why IE 7.0 would not start WMP 11 to playback the file? (File association
> >> is
> >> set correctly)
> >>
> >> Any clue? I have seen several other posts relating to that, but no good
> >> answer anywhere.

zachd [MSFT]

"BerlinTop" <BerlinTop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why mime-types?
> When you paste the URL directly in WMP 11, playback starts, even in VISTA.
> So, mime-types should not be the issue, as far as I understand things.

Apples-to-oranges comparison.
WMP in that instance is directly consuming the MIME type and rendering it.
Within IE, IE has to figure out what to do with the MIME type.

> Further, WMP 11 is launched when the URL is entered in IE 7.0 on a
> XP-machine. So, mime-types should not be the issue, again.

Yeah, I worked on all aspects of that. Vista has improved MIME security and
thus would reject spoofing that you might be able to get away with in XP.

> Third, ALWAYS, when IE 7.0 is supposed to open WMP11 to playback media
> contents on the VISTA-machine (e.g. when trying to play a radio station),
> IE
> fails to open WMP11. When the URL is entered in WMP11 directly (..open
> URL),
> playback starts without any problem. This is true for ANY media content.

That's information I believe you previously didn't share. Given the URL you
supplied, I personally spent the time to verify that your MIME type was set
incorrectly. You are certainly welcome to ignore my work, but that seems
like a sad use of my time. =)

> This is not a playback problem of WMP11, and is not related to media
> types.

I wrote or reviewed large chunks of the code you're dealing with here. If
you want to ignore my expert advice when you provide me exact input, you're
welcome to. It probably would be a slower path to solution for you though.
And weird to get to talk to the one of the world's area experts and then
(admittedly politely!) ignore his comments/expertise. =)

> It is related to a problem that IE does not know what program to open to
> start playback. Then it does not know better than bringing up the error
> page:
> "page cannot be displayed" - which is not pointing the user in a correct
> direction.

> Again: all file associations for media files are correctly set to WMP11
> (and
> WMP11 plays them, when it is told to do so directly). IE 7.0 does not hand
> over the request to WMP11, for some strange reason.

This is another area I have written a lot of code for. There's multiple
levels to file associations and many people do not understand the levels.
File associations can look correct but not necessarily actually be correct
to any non-multiple-registry level inspection.

> Did the point come across this time? If not, I am happy to repeat the
> prayer
> again and again.

I guarantee you upon the soul of my grandfather that the MIME type you
specified is wrong. You are welcome to disagree until the end of the world,
but you would still be wrong. =)

Why don't you just get that fixed up and then we can reengage in this
discussion? Even if we resolve some other problem for you, that problem
would still be there.

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> The MIME type is set wrong:
>> ===
>> telnet www.rnax.de 80
>> Trying 213.198.47.5...
>> Connected to www.rnax.de.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> HEAD /presentations/RNAi%20Animation.wmv HTTP/1.0
>>
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:49:03 GMT
>> Server: Rapidsite/Apa/1.3.33 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.22
>> OpenSSL/0.9.8d
>> Last-Modified: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:37:12 GMT
>> ETag: "fbcb67-28d4f8-495b2f38"
>> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>> ===
>>
>> The correct MIME type is video/x-ms-wmv. There's no registered handler
>> for
>> application/x-ms-wmv. Fix that first. If you're still having problems
>> when
>> that's set correctly, post up then and I'll look again. =)
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> > [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player via crosspost]

BerlinTop

Re: ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista
Ok. Several things:

I did not specify any mime-type. All I did was uploading a file, and
expected, it could be accessed via a hyperlink in a word document. And it
does - in Windows XP. I didn't assume I would spend days to make the same
thing work in the "improved" VISTA.

By the way, why Vista lists file associations, when they are useless at the
end of the day?

Before I forget: When I change the mime-type, I get an error-message in
Word, saying, the contents cannot be downloaded. So, I get a stop sign even
one step before.

I've had it for the time being. My goal of using computers is to save time,
not to fix "improvements" created by world experts who make software
unusable for anyone, except themselves. No wonder VISTA has the reputation it
has.

Cheers

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> ===
> >> telnet www.rnax.de 80
> >> Trying 213.198.47.5...
> >> Connected to www.rnax.de.
> >> Escape character is '^]'.
> >> HEAD /presentations/RNAi%20Animation.wmv HTTP/1.0
> >>
> >> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> >> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:49:03 GMT
> >> Server: Rapidsite/Apa/1.3.33 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.22
> >> OpenSSL/0.9.8d
> >> Last-Modified: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:37:12 GMT
> >> ETag: "fbcb67-28d4f8-495b2f38"
> >> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> >> ===
> >>
> >> The correct MIME type is video/x-ms-wmv. There's no registered handler
> >> for
> >> application/x-ms-wmv. Fix that first. If you're still having problems
> >> when
> >> that's set correctly, post up then and I'll look again. =)

Matthias Berke

Re: ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player via crosspost]
>
> BerlinTop wrote:
>> Just try to open the following file:
>> http://www.rnax.de/presentations/RNAi Animation.wmv

read news:6s4mg2F4798uU1@mid.individual.net

Matthias
zachd [MSFT]

> I did not specify any mime-type. All I did was uploading a file, and
> expected, it could be accessed via a hyperlink in a word document. And it
> does - in Windows XP.

This is not true. I can break your XP system in this capacity in seconds.
You are extremely lucky that this works at all on your XP system. There are
any number of supported mechanisms (such as installing a third party player)
that would break this functionality in XP or any version of Windows ever or
any version of any MIME validating browser ever. =)

You supplied a specific URL. That URL is broken. If you have another URL
that is not broken that produces this issue, we can reengage on that front.
I have hundreds, but I'm not sure if you were trying to fix your server or
what.

> I didn't assume I would spend days to make the same
> thing work in the "improved" VISTA.

Read above. It's probably cute to blame software du Jour, but it's such a
useless waste of time.

> By the way, why Vista lists file associations, when they are useless at
> the
> end of the day?

I am totally unaware of what local file association you have set for the
broken MIME type. That's not supported by any instance of the player that's
ever been produced. That MIME type is not supported by any media client
ever produced.

Your non-Microsoft web server is broken. If you want to blame Microsoft
for the faults of the misconfiguration of some random web server -- I guess
maybe MS causes all the bad things in the world. =)

> Before I forget: When I change the mime-type, I get an error-message in
> Word, saying, the contents cannot be downloaded. So, I get a stop sign
> even
> one step before.

Yeah, it looks you broke your web server:
===
$ telnet www.rnax.de 80
Trying 213.198.47.5...
Connected to www.rnax.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /presentations/RNAi%20Animation.wmv HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 01:43:15 GMT
Server: Rapidsite/Apa/1.3.33 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.22
OpenSSL/0.9.8d
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.
====

> I've had it for the time being. My goal of using computers is to save
> time,
> not to fix "improvements" created by world experts who make software
> unusable for anyone, except themselves. No wonder VISTA has the reputation
> it
> has.

Yes, if it's gotten to the point where you need to insult Vista because your
Unix web server is broken and misconfigured, I'm not sure how to help you.
If your goal was/is to save time, I'd listen to me as I helped design most
of this particular area. If your goal is to ignore me completely, your next
best bet would be to talk to any media player architect or any HTTP/MIME
wizard, who will tell you pretty much absolutely exactly what I just told
you. IE peoples would probably know more about this too, but as I've worked
directly on this area you have the opportunity to talk to someone that
understands this area most thoroughly.

Realistically, you can only help those that want to be helped. =) I
understand how easy it is to get frustrated so I never take this personally.
So I do wish you well. =)

Happy New Year and kind regards,
-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.

Matthias Berke wrote:
>> BerlinTop wrote:
>>> Just try to open the following file:
>>> http://www.rnax.de/presentations/RNAi Animation.wmv

> read news:6s4mg2F4798uU1@mid.individual.net

=>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0fcd8bba?hl=en

BerlinTop

Re: ie 7.0 fails to open wmp 11 for playback in Vista
I will use a different method to supply the file (embedding it directly into
the Word-document, instead of inserting a link to it).

But once I got everybody shaken up here:
- the link is up again (I put the file back on the server) - if you want to
give it another try
- here is a whole collection of links that is not working, either (not
produced by me, so I couldn't supposedly "brake" any servers, sorry folks):
http://www.tuner2.com/wmp.html
If I click on any of the radio stations on that page, the message comes
up: "page cannot be
displayed" (wrong mime-type???)
If I open the URL of any of those stations in WMP11 directly, playback
starts
- for a change, here is a link that is working:
www.jazzradio.net
If I click on the WM stream, WMP opens fine and playback starts (they are
sticking to the microsoft rules?)
- to make you aware of my file associations: they are set correctly. but as
we heard, that does not really matter, and is misleading.