IE 6 Hanges on Intranet

roger.pray@gmail.com

IE 6 Hanges on Intranet
We are running Windows XP SP2 & SP3 on some fairly new high-end PCs,
our apps require that we stick with IE 6 at this point in time and
cannot use IE 7 or any alternative browser.

We have seen this issue on one or two PCs in the past, but in the last
few weeks I've started to see it more and more.

When launching IE 6, which is set to our Intranet page as the Home
Page the browser effectively hangs. The page is fairly simple, no
flash, mostly text with some image links and maybe a small smattering
of javascript with one java based applet.

Once this happens, there appear to be two solutions - 1 complete
reboot of the PC and this may clear the issue for a few minutes or
hours; 2 - one of our staff has been changing his IP from static to
DHCP and back again and this allows IE to start functioning again.

Now...on some of the PCs (most actually) this only affects IE, but in
one instance Outlook 2003 will also freeze up and on another the issue
seems to spread to FireFox as well (but only when IE freezes).

I've loaded all the latest IE patches and this has changed nothing.
We've upgraded drivers and BIOS, added ram, replaced the PC outright
in one case and the problem always returns. We're experiencing this
to date on two different models of PC and one model of laptop - all
are made with unique images.

We are operating in a microsoft domain with group policies in effect.

Any advice will be welcome!
Kayman

Re: IE 6 Hanges on Intranet
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:36:42 -0800 (PST), roger.pray@gmail.com wrote:

> We are running Windows XP SP2 & SP3 on some fairly new high-end PCs,
> our apps require that we stick with IE 6 at this point in time and
> cannot use IE 7 or any alternative browser.
>
> We have seen this issue on one or two PCs in the past, but in the last
> few weeks I've started to see it more and more.
>
> When launching IE 6, which is set to our Intranet page as the Home
> Page the browser effectively hangs. The page is fairly simple, no
> flash, mostly text with some image links and maybe a small smattering
> of javascript with one java based applet.
>
> Once this happens, there appear to be two solutions - 1 complete
> reboot of the PC and this may clear the issue for a few minutes or
> hours; 2 - one of our staff has been changing his IP from static to
> DHCP and back again and this allows IE to start functioning again.
>
> Now...on some of the PCs (most actually) this only affects IE, but in
> one instance Outlook 2003 will also freeze up and on another the issue
> seems to spread to FireFox as well (but only when IE freezes).
>
> I've loaded all the latest IE patches and this has changed nothing.
> We've upgraded drivers and BIOS, added ram, replaced the PC outright
> in one case and the problem always returns. We're experiencing this
> to date on two different models of PC and one model of laptop - all
> are made with unique images.
>
> We are operating in a microsoft domain with group policies in effect.
>
> Any advice will be welcome!

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out
quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK' button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...'button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete files
and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "cleanmgr" (w/out quotation
marks into the box, then click the 'OK' button. Select your drive
(presumably WinXP (C and click OK.

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and--
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tools (FREE)
1.Kaspersky AVP Tool
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
2.Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 7.0
http://www.kaspersky.com/support/vir...vptool?level=2
--and--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

NOTE:
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tools, Dr.Web CureIt!® and the free version of
Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer.
Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is cleaned you are
supposed to remove these tools from your operating system and revert back
to your (updated) resident (real-time) AV application..
Re: K/AVPTool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable self-defense' must be
unchecked!

The free version of Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware have an update
feature, keep them installed in addtion to your resident AV/A-S
applications and scan frequently.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck