Windows XP won't work due to DEP problem (incompatability?).

Frank

Windows XP won't work due to DEP problem (incompatability?).
Tried to shut off DEP. but don't have a "System and Maintenance" choice in my
Control Panel, as stated in the directions to perform this operation, and so
don't know how to get to the Data Execution Prevention tab to deselect the
DEP for Windows XP.
thecreator

Re: Windows XP won't work due to DEP problem (incompatability?).
Easily! Right-click My Computer. Left-click Properties. Left-click
Advanced. Under Performance, left-click Settings. Left-click Data Execution
Prevention.

Warning, can't deselect Windows XP. Try doing what you need to do, in
Safe Mode. Then boot back into Regular Mode.

Please explain why you want to invite Viruses in? Unless you want to
spread viruses and you are a criminal. Are you trying to sabotage a person's
computer?

--
thecreator

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tried to shut off DEP. but don't have a "System and Maintenance" choice in
> my
> Control Panel, as stated in the directions to perform this operation, and
> so
> don't know how to get to the Data Execution Prevention tab to deselect the
> DEP for Windows XP.

Frank

"Frank" wrote:

> Tried to shut off DEP. but don't have a "System and Maintenance" choice in my
> Control Panel, as stated in the directions to perform this operation, and so
> don't know how to get to the Data Execution Prevention tab to deselect the
> DEP for Windows XP.

Nothing that evil. I just downloaded photos from a trip into My Pictures and
I can't open them as I get message that there is an incompatibility problem
with DEP that closes the program. They suggest that I try to find a DEP
compatible version of the program. I tried and can't find, though don't
really know where or how to find one.

I tried microsoft site and couldn't maneover around it to find one.

I should add that I do not spend a lot of time on the computer and so am
not sure what I am doing or the ramifications of it. I just want to be able
to work with my photos.

I need to ask. How do I get into Safe Mode?
thecreator

Re: Windows XP won't work due to DEP problem (incompatability?).
Hi Frank,

That's easy for Safe Mode.

Two ways:

First is to tap the F8 Function key as the computer boots up. There you
have the menu to Select what to do.

Second way:
Start > Run > type in msconfig and click OK.
Click on BOOT.INI
Check /SAFEBOOT and Dot MINIMAL click Apply
Click OK. Click Restart.

You boot automatically into Safe Mode of two or more USER Ids on the
screen to choose from. If you have just one User, then you will have two
choices: Administrator and your User ID.

Do you have Nero installed? How about Roxio PhotoSuite 8?
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/ph.../overview.html

Nero has a PhotoSnap Viewer available with Nero to use. Have you tried
these to view your pictures?