After I updated webshots Ask.com has hijacked my search engine!

sblacktex

After I updated webshots Ask.com has hijacked my search engine!
My internet explorer search engine has been hijacked by "Powered by
Ask.com"
I use IE7 as my main browser. In an attempt to get rid of the useless
search engine, I continually deleted the "Powered by Ask.com" and made
Google my default search engine, and every time I rebooted, Ask.com
was back!!
After trying many, many different things suggested on different groups
and webpages to get rid of "Powered by Ask.com" I solved the problem
by deleting Webshots. I would rather have my Google search engine
than Webshots on my computer!!
Nothing else worked.

I realized it had appeared when I updated Webshots, so I deleted
Webshots and, amazingly, the Powered by Ask.com search engine stayed
deleted.
VanguardLH

Re: After I updated webshots Ask.com has hijacked my search engine!
sblacktex wrote:

> My internet explorer search engine has been hijacked by "Powered by
> Ask.com"
> I use IE7 as my main browser. In an attempt to get rid of the useless
> search engine, I continually deleted the "Powered by Ask.com" and made
> Google my default search engine, and every time I rebooted, Ask.com
> was back!!
> After trying many, many different things suggested on different groups
> and webpages to get rid of "Powered by Ask.com" I solved the problem
> by deleting Webshots. I would rather have my Google search engine
> than Webshots on my computer!!
> Nothing else worked.
>
> I realized it had appeared when I updated Webshots, so I deleted
> Webshots and, amazingly, the Powered by Ask.com search engine stayed
> deleted.

Even simpler:
http://dl.ask.com/toolbar/faq.html#na3
sblacktex

On Dec 25, 10:27*pm, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
> sblacktex wrote:
> > My internet explorer search engine has been hijacked by "Powered by
> > Ask.com"
> > I use IE7 as my main browser. *In an attempt to get rid of the useless
> > search engine, I continually deleted the "Powered by Ask.com" and made
> > Google my default search engine, and every time I rebooted, Ask.com
> > was back!!
> > After trying many, many different things suggested on different groups
> > and webpages to get rid of "Powered by Ask.com" I solved the problem
> > by deleting Webshots. *I would rather have my Google search engine
> > than Webshots on my computer!!
> > Nothing else worked.

> > I realized it had appeared when I updated Webshots, so I deleted
> > Webshots and, amazingly, the Powered by Ask.com search engine stayed
> > deleted.

> Even simpler:http://dl.ask.com/toolbar/faq.html#na3- Hide quoted text -

That did not work, because I did not have the Ask.com toolbar loaded.
So, it was not an option in the add/delete programs menu.
dmpratt16@gmail.com

On Dec 26, 7:28*am, sblacktex <sbl...@itexas.net> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 10:27*pm, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
>

> > sblacktex wrote:
> > > My internet explorer search engine has been hijacked by "Powered by
> > > Ask.com"
> > > I use IE7 as my main browser. *In an attempt to get rid of the useless
> > > search engine, I continually deleted the "Powered by Ask.com" and made
> > > Google my default search engine, and every time I rebooted, Ask.com
> > > was back!!
> > > After trying many, many different things suggested on different groups
> > > and webpages to get rid of "Powered by Ask.com" I solved the problem
> > > by deleting Webshots. *I would rather have my Google search engine
> > > than Webshots on my computer!!
> > > Nothing else worked.

> > > I realized it had appeared when I updated Webshots, so I deleted
> > > Webshots and, amazingly, the Powered by Ask.com search engine stayed
> > > deleted.

> > Even simpler:http://dl.ask.com/toolbar/faq.html#na3-Hide quoted text -

> That did not work, because I did not have the Ask.com toolbar loaded.
> So, it was not an option in the add/delete programs menu.- Hide quoted text -

I had the same problem. I've already complained to the company, now
American Greetings, however, for now you can download an older, non-
hijacking version of webshots from download.com
http://www.download.com/Webshots-Des...html?tag=mncol

Good luck
mrfixit51's Avatar

mrfixit51 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: After I updated webshots Ask.com has hijacked my search engine!

> My internet explorer search engine has been hijacked by "Powered by
> Ask.com" I use IE7 as my main browser. *In an attempt to get rid of the
> useless search engine, I continually deleted the "Powered by Ask.com"
> and made Google my default search engine, and every time I rebooted,
> Ask.com was back!!

I too suffered from this same problem, Googled around for a solution, and
came up dry. It occurred to me that the Google toolbar when loaded, will
prevent hijacking of it's search agent. I installed the toolbar, and then
de-selected the toolbar from the dropdown menu of IE7. It is running, but
not visible using valuable screenspace. Upon reboot, it reported a hijack
attempt, and blocked it. So I now have Webshots running, and Ask.com
is nowhere to be found!! Enjoy the easy fix!
Regards,,, David