Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7

DJTN

Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7
I have several Vista 32 bit machines and they're all having the same problem.
All of them have the latest OS updates and the latest Flash plugin. All of my
security updates are up to date as well and I dont have any malware, registry
issues or viruses. Some sites that have Flash content dont affect IE while
others cause IE to stop responding and lock up. I've sent the error report to
Microsoft and the solution returned is to update the flash plugin but I have
the latest.

Yahoo and MySpace almost always cause IE to crash with their Flash embeded
content. If I disable the shockwave Flash object add-on I have no problems
with any of the sites. I've uninstalled the flash player and re-installed the
latest from Adobe and it didnt resolve the issue. I started noticing this
problem after the security update for for IE 7: KB960714 on 12/18/2008.

To me, it appears to be some type of code that is used in the Flash object.
That is why it breaks on some Flash sites and not others.

Is anyone else having this issue and if so, have you found a solution?

Todd

Sven Pran

Re: Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7
This is the first really helpful post I have seen here for a L-O-N-G time!!!

I have had similar symptoms regularly since November 5th. and have now
narrowed the suspected items down to two components on my system:
Shockwave Flash Object (Flash10a.ocx) and
Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper (AcroIEHelper.dll)
both from Adobe Systems, Incorporated

There has been numerous posts here about IE7 freezing and they are all told
to start IE7 "with no add-ons", and if that makes the problem disappear "we
can tell you how to find the bad add-on". I have however to this date not
seen any information on how to find it (in spite of asking) so I have been
debugging my system on my own now for weeks, narrowing the suspected items
down to the two mentioned above.

Until Adobe comes out with a solution that works it would seem that the only
"solution" is to completely disable the culprit (i.e. flash).

regards Sven

"DJTN" <DJTN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have several Vista 32 bit machines and they're all having the same
>problem.
> All of them have the latest OS updates and the latest Flash plugin. All of
> my
> security updates are up to date as well and I dont have any malware,
> registry
> issues or viruses. Some sites that have Flash content dont affect IE while
> others cause IE to stop responding and lock up. I've sent the error report
> Microsoft and the solution returned is to update the flash plugin but I
> have
> the latest.
>
> Yahoo and MySpace almost always cause IE to crash with their Flash embeded
> content. If I disable the shockwave Flash object add-on I have no problems
> with any of the sites. I've uninstalled the flash player and re-installed
> the
> latest from Adobe and it didnt resolve the issue. I started noticing this
> problem after the security update for for IE 7: KB960714 on 12/18/2008.
>
> To me, it appears to be some type of code that is used in the Flash
> object.
> That is why it breaks on some Flash sites and not others.
>
> Is anyone else having this issue and if so, have you found a solution?
>
> Todd

Sven Pran

Re: Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7
Coincidence or not?

As reported below my own problems began on November 5th.
I happened to go to the install/uninstall programs panel right now and what
did I discover?

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX was installed on my system on November 5th.!

I have had no recollection of installing anything recently when my problems
began, but this may have been part of an automatic service upgrade that
otherwise missed my attention.

During the next weeks of testing I expect to definitely verify if this is
the component that has caused my IE7 to freeze more or less randomly during
the last weeks. "The rope is tightening"

regards Sven

"Sven Pran" <no.direct@mail.please> wrote in message
> This is the first really helpful post I have seen here for a L-O-N-G
> time!!!
>
> I have had similar symptoms regularly since November 5th. and have now
> narrowed the suspected items down to two components on my system:
> Shockwave Flash Object (Flash10a.ocx) and
> Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper (AcroIEHelper.dll)
> both from Adobe Systems, Incorporated
>
> There has been numerous posts here about IE7 freezing and they are all
> told to start IE7 "with no add-ons", and if that makes the problem
> disappear "we can tell you how to find the bad add-on". I have however to
> this date not seen any information on how to find it (in spite of asking)
> so I have been debugging my system on my own now for weeks, narrowing the
> suspected items down to the two mentioned above.
>
> Until Adobe comes out with a solution that works it would seem that the
> only "solution" is to completely disable the culprit (i.e. flash).
>
> regards Sven
>
> "DJTN" <DJTN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have several Vista 32 bit machines and they're all having the same
>>problem.
>> All of them have the latest OS updates and the latest Flash plugin. All
>> of my
>> security updates are up to date as well and I dont have any malware,
>> registry
>> issues or viruses. Some sites that have Flash content dont affect IE
>> while
>> others cause IE to stop responding and lock up. I've sent the error
>> report to
>> Microsoft and the solution returned is to update the flash plugin but I
>> have
>> the latest.
>>
>> Yahoo and MySpace almost always cause IE to crash with their Flash
>> embeded
>> content. If I disable the shockwave Flash object add-on I have no
>> problems
>> with any of the sites. I've uninstalled the flash player and re-installed
>> the
>> latest from Adobe and it didnt resolve the issue. I started noticing this
>> problem after the security update for for IE 7: KB960714 on 12/18/2008.
>>
>> To me, it appears to be some type of code that is used in the Flash
>> object.
>> That is why it breaks on some Flash sites and not others.
>>
>> Is anyone else having this issue and if so, have you found a solution?
>>
>> Todd

DJTN

Re: Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7
I still have not received anything on this issue. I see a lot of people
having the same issue but no solution except to disable the flash add-on.

"Sven Pran" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Microsoft and the solution returned is to update the flash plugin but I
> >> have
> >> the latest.
> >>
> >> Yahoo and MySpace almost always cause IE to crash with their Flash
> >> embeded
> >> content. If I disable the shockwave Flash object add-on I have no
> >> problems
> >> with any of the sites. I've uninstalled the flash player and re-installed
> >> the
> >> latest from Adobe and it didnt resolve the issue. I started noticing this
> >> problem after the security update for for IE 7: KB960714 on 12/18/2008.
> >>
> >> To me, it appears to be some type of code that is used in the Flash
> >> object.
> >> That is why it breaks on some Flash sites and not others.
> >>
> >> Is anyone else having this issue and if so, have you found a solution?

DJTN

Re: Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7
I still have not received a solution to this issue. I see tons of people
having the same problem but no solution is discussed.

"Sven Pran" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Microsoft and the solution returned is to update the flash plugin but I
> >> have
> >> the latest.
> >>
> >> Yahoo and MySpace almost always cause IE to crash with their Flash
> >> embeded
> >> content. If I disable the shockwave Flash object add-on I have no
> >> problems
> >> with any of the sites. I've uninstalled the flash player and re-installed
> >> the
> >> latest from Adobe and it didnt resolve the issue. I started noticing this
> >> problem after the security update for for IE 7: KB960714 on 12/18/2008.
> >>
> >> To me, it appears to be some type of code that is used in the Flash
> >> object.
> >> That is why it breaks on some Flash sites and not others.
> >>
> >> Is anyone else having this issue and if so, have you found a solution?

chris.laughren@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTN View Post
[...]

Dear Sven?
Your discription of your troubles are exactly what I'm going thru. I've just reformatted C and gotten all the up to date drivers to be had but every once in an hour or so, IE logs off the internet, just like that! The only clue I get is a rectangle that states 'Flash 10a. OCX'. I updated my Flash Bios to version .....20 a day or so ago. I only mention this because it's the only thing I can think of and I'll be damned if I know how to reset back to the old BIOS. Btw, it's an HP dv5, dual laptop.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Chris
Calgary, Canada

[...]

Flash 10a.OCX suspect? Here's the cure...

Thanks to 'Pancake'...

Problem with Add-on - PC World Forums

Re: Problem with Add-on
Not sure where the file are on Vista but what you will need to do is find the flash10a.ocx file and copy it as flash.ocx.

To do this, browse to the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder. Locate the flash10a.ocx file and right click it and select copy. Now just right click in a blank spot of the same folder and select paste. You will then find you have a file called Copy of Flash10a.ocx in the folder. Right click the new file and select rename and change the name to flash.ocx.

Once complete, the error should be history.
__________________

Originally Posted by chris.laughren@gmail.com View Post
Flash 10a.OCX suspect? Here's the cure...

Thanks to 'Pancake'...

Problem with Add-on - PC World Forums

Re: Problem with Add-on
Not sure where the file are on Vista but what you will need to do is find the flash10a.ocx file and copy it as flash.ocx.

To do this, browse to the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder. Locate the flash10a.ocx file and right click it and select copy. Now just right click in a blank spot of the same folder and select paste. You will then find you have a file called Copy of Flash10a.ocx in the folder. Right click the new file and select rename and change the name to flash.ocx.

Once complete, the error should be history.
__________________
Well, I did what apply PANCAKE'S cure to Flash10a.OCX but after 58 minutes of working perfectly, my screen again went blank but, unlike before, I did not get the rectangled box stating 'Flash10a.OCX', so now I have nothing to go on, no clues. I wonder if this could have something to do with BIT COMET because that's the only thing that was open.
Chris

"chris.laughren@gmail.com"
<chris.laughrengmail.com.3lk1w3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
> Dear Sven?
> Your discription of your troubles are exactly what I'm going thru. I've
> just reformatted C and gotten all the up to date drivers to be had but
> every once in an hour or so, IE logs off the internet, just like that!
> The only clue I get is a rectangle that states 'Flash 10a. OCX'. I
> updated my Flash Bios to version .....20 a day or so ago. I only mention
> this because it's the only thing I can think of and I'll be damned if I
> know how to reset back to the old BIOS. Btw, it's an HP dv5, dual
> laptop.
> Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
> Chris

Last time I looked up on an Adobe forum I found confirmation that the
culprit is Adobe Flash player and that (at that time) no solution had so far
been presented. (The so called "fact" that thousands of users have Flash
player enabled without any problem is reaslly irrelevant, sufficient
evidence has been presented.)

I have now permanently disabled "Shockwave Flash Object" from "Adobe
Systems, Incorporated", "ActiveX Control", File "Flash10a.ocx" in my IE7,
and after I did so have not had a single "freeze".

The consequence for me is that my IE7 runs in a crippled mode, and ever so
often I receive messages that I need Flash player, but I prefer not having
an operative Flash player rather than experiencing those IE7 troubles all
the time.

Eventually I shall visit Adobe again and see if they have come up with any
kind of solution, but for the time being I have more important matters
(programming) to deal with.

regards Sven

Notageek is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Shockwave Flash Object locks up IE7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Pran View Post
"chris.laughren@gmail.com"
<chris.laughrengmail.com.3lk1w3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
> Dear Sven?
> Your discription of your troubles are exactly what I'm going thru. I've
> just reformatted C and gotten all the up to date drivers to be had but
> every once in an hour or so, IE logs off the internet, just like that!
> The only clue I get is a rectangle that states 'Flash 10a. OCX'. I
> updated my Flash Bios to version .....20 a day or so ago. I only mention
> this because it's the only thing I can think of and I'll be damned if I
> know how to reset back to the old BIOS. Btw, it's an HP dv5, dual
> laptop.
> Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
> Chris

Last time I looked up on an Adobe forum I found confirmation that the
culprit is Adobe Flash player and that (at that time) no solution had so far
been presented. (The so called "fact" that thousands of users have Flash
player enabled without any problem is reaslly irrelevant, sufficient
evidence has been presented.)

I have now permanently disabled "Shockwave Flash Object" from "Adobe
Systems, Incorporated", "ActiveX Control", File "Flash10a.ocx" in my IE7,
and after I did so have not had a single "freeze".

The consequence for me is that my IE7 runs in a crippled mode, and ever so
often I receive messages that I need Flash player, but I prefer not having
an operative Flash player rather than experiencing those IE7 troubles all
the time.

Eventually I shall visit Adobe again and see if they have come up with any
kind of solution, but for the time being I have more important matters
(programming) to deal with.

regards Sven

This is a known bug in Flash 10a. Adobe is aware of this problem. There are no workarounds at this time except to use anothe rbrowser such as Firefox. You can see the bug report issued by Adobe at: [#FP-1238] IE7 Crashes when running Flash Player 10.0.12.36 - Adobe Bug System
You can add your comments and vote on the importance of this issue on this site and let Adobe know how this problem is impacting your work.