Problems with Links not Working

honda1980

Problems with Links not Working
I use IE7 on a Windows XP machine with service pack 3 and one of my web links
was working great and now it takes me to a compleatly different site. I know
the site is up because I can get to the site from another computer. I have
tried deleting the cookies, internet history, and etc. and rebooting the
computer but the link still didn't work. I even did a search and copied and
pasted the URL into the address bar but it still took me to the wrong web
site. Does anyone have any suggestions?
--
honda1980

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Don Varnau

Re: Problems with Links not Working
Hi,
Your computer should be checked for malware (more on that later.)

See if the redirect is coming from an entry in the HOSTS file.
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

More:
The Hosts File (Gorilla Design Studio): http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
- - -
Redirects like this are often caused by malware (spyware, parastites,
hijackers, trojans, etc.)

See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Removing Malware:

Partial list of forums- there are others:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://www.spywareinfoforum.info/

You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look for
one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
you choose, for specific instructions.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]