IE7 starts frequently crashing

PT

IE7 starts frequently crashing
My IE7.0.5730.13 has, in the last week or so, begun sporadically
crashing. Same on a second computer in my home.

Both computers are up to date on Windows XP Home and IE updates.

The crashes occur when I load up IE by ctrl-clicking on several unrelated
web links. It only happens about once every few dozen times, but I use IE
enough that it's a headache.

When it happens, I get the message to report to MS, which I ignore. If I
repeat the failed operation, IE behaves normally.

Any ideas?

Is this the result of a buggy Windows Update?

--

PT

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 starts frequently crashing
Problems can result when add-ons you have installed, such as browser
toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PT wrote:
> My IE7.0.5730.13 has, in the last week or so, begun sporadically
> crashing. Same on a second computer in my home.
>
> Both computers are up to date on Windows XP Home and IE updates.
>
> The crashes occur when I load up IE by ctrl-clicking on several unrelated
> web links. It only happens about once every few dozen times, but I use IE
> enough that it's a headache.
>
> When it happens, I get the message to report to MS, which I ignore. If I
> repeat the failed operation, IE behaves normally.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is this the result of a buggy Windows Update?

Re: IE7 starts frequently crashing
posting to this newsgroup.

=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PT wrote:
> My IE7.0.5730.13 has, in the last week or so, begun sporadically
> crashing. Same on a second computer in my home.
>
> Both computers are up to date on Windows XP Home and IE updates.
>
> The crashes occur when I load up IE by ctrl-clicking on several unrelated
> web links. It only happens about once every few dozen times, but I use IE
> enough that it's a headache.
>
> When it happens, I get the message to report to MS, which I ignore. If I
> repeat the failed operation, IE behaves normally.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is this the result of a buggy Windows Update?

PT

Re: IE7 starts frequently crashing
I use Windows XP Home SP3

Right clicking the IE icon didn't offer the disable choice. So I turned off
add-ons using ctrl-panel. I also created your sugggested startup icon.

I'll monitor the system for a while to see if it improves.

FWIW, after doing so, the IE Tools | Manage Add-Ons | Enable or Disable
options shows 3 add-ons disabled and 24 enabled.
--

PT