Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name

Steve T

Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
I looked at as many of the previous posts as I could handle. I didn't see my
issue. I can Sort By Name when I right click on any folder in my favorites
directly when I click on the Star for favorites, when I click on a favorites
folder from the start menu and from classic view. The favorites sort okay
for all locations except for the favorites when I click on the star. Whats
up with that? I have deleted individual favorites and or folders and started
over and it still happens

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
Huh? Your post is self-contradictory.

Steve T wrote:
> I looked at as many of the previous posts as I could handle. I didn't see
> my issue. I can Sort By Name when I right click on any folder in my
> favorites directly when I click on the Star for favorites, when I click on
> a favorites folder from the start menu and from classic view. The
> favorites sort okay for all locations except for the favorites when I
> click
> on the star. Whats up with that? I have deleted individual favorites and
> or folders and started over and it still happens
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve

Steve T

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
Locations I see my favorites:

Star
Start Menu

Favorites in the Star are not sorted correctly
Favorites in the start menu are sorted correctly

I have tried to get them to sort by name by right clicking and selecting
sort by name. Nothing happens. I used classic view and tried to sort by
right clicking and selecting sort by name. Nothing happens. I tried going
into organize favorites and drag and drop to correct position. When I look
at favorites in the star menu they again are not sorted.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Huh? Your post is self-contradictory.
>
> Steve T wrote:
> > I looked at as many of the previous posts as I could handle. I didn't see
> > my issue. I can Sort By Name when I right click on any folder in my
> > favorites directly when I click on the Star for favorites, when I click on
> > a favorites folder from the start menu and from classic view. The
> > favorites sort okay for all locations except for the favorites when I
> > click
> > on the star. Whats up with that? I have deleted individual favorites and
> > or folders and started over and it still happens
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Steve

Don Varnau

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Steve T" <SteveT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Locations I see my favorites:
>
> Star
> Start Menu
>
> Favorites in the Star are not sorted correctly
> Favorites in the start menu are sorted correctly
>
> I have tried to get them to sort by name by right clicking and selecting
> sort by name. Nothing happens. I used classic view and tried to sort by
> right clicking and selecting sort by name. Nothing happens. I tried

going
> into organize favorites and drag and drop to correct position. When I

look
> at favorites in the star menu they again are not sorted.

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Huh? Your post is self-contradictory.

> > Steve T wrote:
> > > I looked at as many of the previous posts as I could handle. I didn't

see
> > > my issue. I can Sort By Name when I right click on any folder in my
> > > favorites directly when I click on the Star for favorites, when I

click on
> > > a favorites folder from the start menu and from classic view. The
> > > favorites sort okay for all locations except for the favorites when I
> > > click
> > > on the star. Whats up with that? I have deleted individual favorites

and
> > > or folders and started over and it still happens
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Steve

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1), Steve.

[Star = Favorites Center]

Steve T wrote:
> Locations I see my favorites:
>
> Star
> Start Menu
>
> Favorites in the Star are not sorted correctly
> Favorites in the start menu are sorted correctly
>
> I have tried to get them to sort by name by right clicking and selecting
> sort by name. Nothing happens. I used classic view and tried to sort by
> right clicking and selecting sort by name. Nothing happens. I tried
> going
> into organize favorites and drag and drop to correct position. When I
> look
> at favorites in the star menu they again are not sorted.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Huh? Your post is self-contradictory.
>>
>> Steve T wrote:
>>> I looked at as many of the previous posts as I could handle. I didn't
>>> see
>>> my issue. I can Sort By Name when I right click on any folder in my
>>> favorites directly when I click on the Star for favorites, when I click
>>> on
>>> a favorites folder from the start menu and from classic view. The
>>> favorites sort okay for all locations except for the favorites when I
>>> click
>>> on the star. Whats up with that? I have deleted individual favorites
>>> and
>>> or folders and started over and it still happens
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Steve

Steve T

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
MS Office 2007
Outlook 2007 Standalone

Also....The favorites are sorted correctly in Outlook 2007. It's only in
the Star location in IE 7 that is not sorted correctly.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1), Steve.
>
> [Star = Favorites Center]
>
> Steve T wrote:
> > Locations I see my favorites:
> >
> > Star
> > Start Menu
> >
> > Favorites in the Star are not sorted correctly
> > Favorites in the start menu are sorted correctly
> >
> > I have tried to get them to sort by name by right clicking and selecting
> > sort by name. Nothing happens. I used classic view and tried to sort by
> > right clicking and selecting sort by name. Nothing happens. I tried
> > going
> > into organize favorites and drag and drop to correct position. When I
> > look
> > at favorites in the star menu they again are not sorted.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Huh? Your post is self-contradictory.

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
[We're getting there.]

If you open the Favorites Center by clicking on the star:

1. Is there a right-click option to "Sort by name"?

2. Assuming there is and you do so, is Favorites Center then "sorted by
name" or not?

3. If they are & you reboot, is Favorites Center still "sorted by name" or
not?

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you installed Vista SP1?

4b. Does the unwanted behavior persist if UAC is disabled?

[OT: Why do you have MS Office 2007 and MS Outlook 2007 Standalone
installed?]
--
~PA Bear

Steve T wrote:
> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
> MS Office 2007
> Outlook 2007 Standalone
>
> Also....The favorites are sorted correctly in Outlook 2007. It's only in
> the Star location in IE 7 that is not sorted correctly.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1),
>> Steve.
>>
>> [Star = Favorites Center]
>>
>> Steve T wrote:
>>> Locations I see my favorites:
>>>
>>> Star
>>> Start Menu
>>>
>>> Favorites in the Star are not sorted correctly
>>> Favorites in the start menu are sorted correctly
>>>
>>> I have tried to get them to sort by name by right clicking and selecting
>>> sort by name. Nothing happens. I used classic view and tried to sort
>>> by
>>> right clicking and selecting sort by name. Nothing happens. I tried
>>> going
>>> into organize favorites and drag and drop to correct position. When I
>>> look
>>> at favorites in the star menu they again are not sorted.

Steve T

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
1. & 2. Yes that option is available & I have done 10 million times. All
favorites started out sorted (impoted bookmark.htm file) then when I started
adding new entries apprx 2-3 months ago (?) they will not sort.

3. I've rebooted IE & my system everyday multiple times since this started.
No change.

4a. When this started I was running MxAfee Internet Suite. Antivirus,
firewall, antispam/spyware...the whole ball of wax. I started using ESET
Security Suite last week. All the same apps included. Issue still exists.
(FYI..ESET is far better than McAfee) McAfee was not running when I installed
SP1. I initially could not get SP1 to install. I did a clean install of
Vista and downloaded and installed SP1 & all updates before reinstalling
McAfee or anything else.

4b. UAC is disabled. Immediately! Can't stand it.

(OT) I think you're asking why the standalone and not the full version.
Money. It was much cheaper. You're not the first to question that. I wish
I had the advice prior to purchasing the software.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [We're getting there.]
>
> If you open the Favorites Center by clicking on the star:
>
> 1. Is there a right-click option to "Sort by name"?
>
> 2. Assuming there is and you do so, is Favorites Center then "sorted by
> name" or not?
>
> 3. If they are & you reboot, is Favorites Center still "sorted by name" or
> not?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed Vista SP1?
>
> 4b. Does the unwanted behavior persist if UAC is disabled?
>
> [OT: Why do you have MS Office 2007 and MS Outlook 2007 Standalone
> installed?]
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Steve T wrote:
> > Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
> > MS Office 2007
> > Outlook 2007 Standalone
> >
> > Also....The favorites are sorted correctly in Outlook 2007. It's only in
> > the Star location in IE 7 that is not sorted correctly.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1),
> >> Steve.
> >>
> >> [Star = Favorites Center]

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
So the right-click option "Sort by name" is available but it does not work.
By any chance have you moved your Favorites folder to a non-default
location?

> When this started I was running MxAfee Internet Suite. Antivirus,
> firewall, antispam/spyware...the whole ball of wax. I started using ESET
> Security Suite last week.

See if doing this three-step fix & rebooting helps at all (dboutful):
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS100507

> ...McAfee was not running when I
> installed SP1. I initially could not get SP1 to install. I did a clean
> install of Vista and downloaded and installed SP1 & all updates before
> reinstalling McAfee or anything else.

After the clean install, did you install SP1 via Windows Update or did you
install it manually? (I think this might be the source of your problems,
Steve.)

[Is MS Office 2007 Student/Teacher Edition installed?]

Steve T wrote:
> 1. & 2. Yes that option is available & I have done 10 million times. All
> favorites started out sorted (impoted bookmark.htm file) then when I
> started
> adding new entries apprx 2-3 months ago (?) they will not sort.
>
> 3. I've rebooted IE & my system everyday multiple times since this
> started.
> No change.
>
> 4a. When this started I was running MxAfee Internet Suite. Antivirus,
> firewall, antispam/spyware...the whole ball of wax. I started using ESET
> Security Suite last week. All the same apps included. Issue still
> exists.
> (FYI..ESET is far better than McAfee) McAfee was not running when I
> installed SP1. I initially could not get SP1 to install. I did a clean
> install of Vista and downloaded and installed SP1 & all updates before
> reinstalling McAfee or anything else.
>
> 4b. UAC is disabled. Immediately! Can't stand it.
>
> (OT) I think you're asking why the standalone and not the full version.
> Money. It was much cheaper. You're not the first to question that. I
> wish
> I had the advice prior to purchasing the software.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [We're getting there.]
>>
>> If you open the Favorites Center by clicking on the star:
>>
>> 1. Is there a right-click option to "Sort by name"?
>>
>> 2. Assuming there is and you do so, is Favorites Center then "sorted by
>> name" or not?
>>
>> 3. If they are & you reboot, is Favorites Center still "sorted by name"
>> or
>> not?
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
>> your
>> applications running in the background when you installed Vista SP1?
>>
>> 4b. Does the unwanted behavior persist if UAC is disabled?
>>
>> [OT: Why do you have MS Office 2007 and MS Outlook 2007 Standalone
>> installed?]
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Steve T wrote:
>>> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
>>> MS Office 2007
>>> Outlook 2007 Standalone
>>>
>>> Also....The favorites are sorted correctly in Outlook 2007. It's only
>>> in
>>> the Star location in IE 7 that is not sorted correctly.

Steve T

Re: Sorting IE 7 Favorites by name
The favorites folder is in it's default location and has never been moved.
Yes, I followed those exact steps and used MCPR.exe after uninstalling McAfee
Security Center using the uninstall in Programs and Features. I can't be
sure if I ran the downloaded SP1 or if I ran it through Windows Update. I
saved the file and ran it in an attempt to get it to install prior to
reinstalling Vista. "I think" I ran the saved to hard disk version. Yes,
the version of Office is the Home/Student version.