ie 7 cpu usage

bob

ie 7 cpu usage
i use win xp pro, with a 2.2g processor and 1gb memory and ie7
i usually have 3-6 instances of ie7 going, trying to multitask and just like
the convenience of having some windows open that might refresh on their own,
eg. yahoo finance, and searching down something where i want to keep the
trail.
at some point ie7 will start to gobble up cpu usage to a point that it is
causing 100% usage system wide. it maybe 50,60,70 itself and the other apps
using a combined remainder of cpu and i pretty much start grinding to a halt.
so i just kill ie in task manager, system goes back to a high % of system
idle, and i start all over again. ususally it seems to be one instance of ie
that causes the problem. i can exit each instance separately and get the same
result. but its just quicker to go to task manager and do it all at once. is
there some settings that can give better behavior?
i dont remember having this same problem with ie6. don't have the same
problem with firefox, so it seems its unique to ie7.
rob^_^

Re: ie 7 cpu usage
Hi Bob,

It is a beta product. Already there have been reports of high memory usage
on certain sites that are using a large number of absolutely positioned divs
or other layout standards reasons.

You should be able to identify yourself which sites are chewing up memory
and add those sites to your Compatibility list (Tools>Compatibility View
Settings) so that they render using the IE7 emulation instead of IE8
standards.

IE8 Beta 2 is near the end of its testing cycle and there should be a new
release available soon that may address the problem.

In the mean time you can report problem web sites (that use up memory or
cause the browser to crash or which don’t render properly in any of IE8's
rendering modes) with the Web Page Problems report tool. Download from -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displayLang=en

If you can identify which sites may be causing this and post them back here,
it would be most helpful.

Note also, that you should also test IE8 in no-Addons mode to eliminate
effects caused by Addons.

Regards.

"bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i use win xp pro, with a 2.2g processor and 1gb memory and ie7
> i usually have 3-6 instances of ie7 going, trying to multitask and just
> like
> the convenience of having some windows open that might refresh on their
> own,
> eg. yahoo finance, and searching down something where i want to keep the
> trail.
> at some point ie7 will start to gobble up cpu usage to a point that it is
> causing 100% usage system wide. it maybe 50,60,70 itself and the other
> apps
> using a combined remainder of cpu and i pretty much start grinding to a
> halt.
> so i just kill ie in task manager, system goes back to a high % of system
> idle, and i start all over again. ususally it seems to be one instance of
> ie
> that causes the problem. i can exit each instance separately and get the
> same
> result. but its just quicker to go to task manager and do it all at once.
> is
> there some settings that can give better behavior?
> i dont remember having this same problem with ie6. don't have the same
> problem with firefox, so it seems its unique to ie7.

Sorken

Re: ie 7 cpu usage

> It is a beta product. Already there have been reports of high memory usage
> on certain sites that are using a large number of absolutely positioned
> divs or other layout standards reasons.

IE7 is not beta.

Display name:

Re: ie 7 cpu usage
rob^_^ wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> It is a beta product. Already there have been reports of high memory
> usage on certain sites that are using a large number of absolutely
> positioned divs or other layout standards reasons.
>
> You should be able to identify yourself which sites are chewing up
> memory and add those sites to your Compatibility list
> (Tools>Compatibility View Settings) so that they render using the IE7
> emulation instead of IE8 standards.

But he's using IE7, according to the thread title.

> IE8 Beta 2 is near the end of its testing cycle and there should be a
> new release available soon that may address the problem.
>
> In the mean time you can report problem web sites (that use up memory
> or cause the browser to crash or which don't render properly in any
> of IE8's rendering modes) with the Web Page Problems report tool.
> Download from -
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displayLang=en
>
> If you can identify which sites may be causing this and post them
> back here, it would be most helpful.
>
> Note also, that you should also test IE8 in no-Addons mode to
> eliminate effects caused by Addons.
>
> Regards.
>
> "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> i use win xp pro, with a 2.2g processor and 1gb memory and ie7
>> i usually have 3-6 instances of ie7 going, trying to multitask and
>> just like
>> the convenience of having some windows open that might refresh on
>> their own,
>> eg. yahoo finance, and searching down something where i want to keep
>> the trail.
>> at some point ie7 will start to gobble up cpu usage to a point that
>> it is causing 100% usage system wide. it maybe 50,60,70 itself and
>> the other apps
>> using a combined remainder of cpu and i pretty much start grinding
>> to a halt.
>> so i just kill ie in task manager, system goes back to a high % of
>> system idle, and i start all over again. ususally it seems to be one
>> instance of ie
>> that causes the problem. i can exit each instance separately and get
>> the same
>> result. but its just quicker to go to task manager and do it all at
>> once. is
>> there some settings that can give better behavior?
>> i dont remember having this same problem with ie6. don't have the
>> same problem with firefox, so it seems its unique to ie7.

rob^_^

Re: ie 7 cpu usage
Hi bob,

Well, I got it wrong. sb.

IE7 memory leakage -

IEBlog : Tools for Detecting Memory Leaks
Tools for Detecting Memory Leaks. Hi everyone, As many web devs know, it ...
Based on Drip, sIEve improves the usability in a ... test case, and we have
sadly found a new memory leak ...

blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/11/29/tools-for-detecting-memory-leaks.aspx ·
Cached page

Again, it is probably caused by one of the sites that you have loaded in
your IE tabs. But you should also try running IE7 in noAddons mode.

Regards.

"bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i use win xp pro, with a 2.2g processor and 1gb memory and ie7
> i usually have 3-6 instances of ie7 going, trying to multitask and just
> like
> the convenience of having some windows open that might refresh on their
> own,
> eg. yahoo finance, and searching down something where i want to keep the
> trail.
> at some point ie7 will start to gobble up cpu usage to a point that it is
> causing 100% usage system wide. it maybe 50,60,70 itself and the other
> apps
> using a combined remainder of cpu and i pretty much start grinding to a
> halt.
> so i just kill ie in task manager, system goes back to a high % of system
> idle, and i start all over again. ususally it seems to be one instance of
> ie
> that causes the problem. i can exit each instance separately and get the
> same
> result. but its just quicker to go to task manager and do it all at once.
> is
> there some settings that can give better behavior?
> i dont remember having this same problem with ie6. don't have the same
> problem with firefox, so it seems its unique to ie7.

Re: ie 7 cpu usage
WinXP SP2 or SP3, Bob?

=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/