IE can't use DNS???

Don Crossman

IE can't use DNS???
VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP SP2 (a
situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).

If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/) it will
connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter http://speedstream/
(the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The same holds true for non-
local addresses, so connectivity is not an issue.

Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
something like that?

More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS re-install
to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)

Thanks a million.

-- Don Crossman
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE can't use DNS???

"Don Crossman" <upperus@spamcity.us> wrote in message news:Xns9B7AEB2515FE8dcrossmanemailcom@74.209.131. 13...
> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP SP2 (a
> situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>
> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/) it will
> connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter http://speedstream/
> (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The same holds true for non-
> local addresses, so connectivity is not an issue.

Can you ping -n 1 that name and get an address for it?
If not why do you think you would be able to?
Note that the address you are mentioning is a local address.

> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
> something like that?

If you can't get that name resolved to an address or if it resolves
to the wrong address, yes.

After your ping -n 1 you may be able to find out how long IE can use
that lookup. E.g. enter this command in your cmd window:

ipconfig /displaydns

and then right-click Find (Up) speedstream

E.g. here is what I got after ping -n 1 speedstream.org

<displaydns>
speedstream.org
Record Name . . . . . : speedstream.org
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 14183
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 69.89.18.25
</displaydns>

Note that nslookup got no address for speedstream.com

So, for example, your ping response may look similar to this:

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>ping -n 1 speedstream.com
Ping request could not find host speedstream.com. Please check the name and try again.
</cmd_output>

> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS re-install
> to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)

I doubt that is necessary or would help with this scenario. ; )

> Thanks a million.
>
> -- Don Crossman

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Jim

Re: IE can't use DNS???

"Don Crossman" <upperus@spamcity.us> wrote in message
news:Xns9B7AEB2515FE8dcrossmanemailcom@74.209.131. 13...
> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP SP2 (a
> situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>
> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/) it
> will
> connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter http://speedstream/
> (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The same holds true for non-
> local addresses, so connectivity is not an issue.
>
> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
> something like that?
>
> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS re-install
> to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> -- Don Crossman

You should add this line to the hosts file:
192.168.254.254 speedstream

As for the non-local names, that is a dns server issue. My router (Linksys)
setup defines dns servers for non-local names.

And, no there is no reason to reinstall the OS...

Jim

Don Crossman

Re: IE can't use DNS???
"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in

> "Don Crossman" <upperus@spamcity.us> wrote in message
> news:Xns9B7AEB2515FE8dcrossmanemailcom@74.209.131. 13...
>> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP
>> SP2 (a situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>>
>> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/)
>> it will connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter
>> http://speedstream/ (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The
>> same holds true for non- local addresses, so connectivity is not an
>> issue.

> Can you ping -n 1 that name and get an address for it?
> If not why do you think you would be able to?
> Note that the address you are mentioning is a local address.
>

>> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
>> something like that?

> If you can't get that name resolved to an address or if it resolves
> to the wrong address, yes.
>
> After your ping -n 1 you may be able to find out how long IE can use
> that lookup. E.g. enter this command in your cmd window:
>
> ipconfig /displaydns
>
> and then right-click Find (Up) speedstream
>
> E.g. here is what I got after ping -n 1 speedstream.org
>
> <displaydns>
> speedstream.org
> Record Name . . . . . : speedstream.org
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 14183
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 69.89.18.25
> </displaydns>
>
> Note that nslookup got no address for speedstream.com
>
> So, for example, your ping response may look similar to this:
>
> <cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
> E:\>ping -n 1 speedstream.com
> Ping request could not find host speedstream.com. Please check the
> name and try again. </cmd_output>
>

>> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS
>> re-install to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)

> I doubt that is necessary or would help with this scenario. ; )
>

>> Thanks a million.
>>
>> -- Don Crossman

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert,

Thanks. The problem is that this laptop will not resolve ANY hostname,
local or otherwise. I've renamed the hosts file, which did nothing,
reset winsock, which did nothing, and reset TCP/IP, which did nothing.

I used http://speedstream/ because that is the hostname of my DSL modem
(and has an IP address of 192.168.254.254). I can connect to it via IP
address, but NOT via hostname.

BTW. the laptop is connected to the modem through the same router as my
desktop, which I'm using to post this follow-up. So everything upstream
of the computer itself is working.

Any further ideas?

-- Don
Jim

Re: IE can't use DNS???

"Don Crossman" <upperus@spamcity.us> wrote in message
news:Xns9B7AEB2515FE8dcrossmanemailcom@74.209.131. 13...
> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP SP2 (a
> situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>
> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/) it
> will
> connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter http://speedstream/
> (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The same holds true for non-
> local addresses, so connectivity is not an issue.
>
> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
> something like that?
>
> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS re-install
> to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> -- Don Crossman

Http://speedstream/ is the name of an ISP. It is not the name of any of
your devices.
Didn't your router login to the ISP (by whatever means they describe) and
receive an IP address for the external port? It will not be any address in
the range 192.168.x.x.
The only way that I have found to be able to connect to my router by name is
to define its name in the HOSTS file.

What are the IP addresses of the DNS servers for Speedstream? You can tell
from the output of ipconfig/all. You may have defined them in the router
setup. Or, the router may get them from the ISP.

Jim

N. Miller

Re: IE can't use DNS???
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:01:19 +0000, Don Crossman wrote:

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in

>> "Don Crossman" <upperus@spamcity.us> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9B7AEB2515FE8dcrossmanemailcom@74.209.131. 13...

>>> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP
>>> SP2 (a situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>>>
>>> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/)
>>> it will connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter
>>> http://speedstream/ (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The
>>> same holds true for non- local addresses, so connectivity is not an
>>> issue.

>> Can you ping -n 1 that name and get an address for it?
>> If not why do you think you would be able to?
>> Note that the address you are mentioning is a local address.

>>> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
>>> something like that?

>> If you can't get that name resolved to an address or if it resolves
>> to the wrong address, yes.
>>
>> After your ping -n 1 you may be able to find out how long IE can use
>> that lookup. E.g. enter this command in your cmd window:
>>
>> ipconfig /displaydns
>>
>> and then right-click Find (Up) speedstream
>>
>> E.g. here is what I got after ping -n 1 speedstream.org
>>
>> <displaydns>
>> speedstream.org
>> Record Name . . . . . : speedstream.org
>> Record Type . . . . . : 1
>> Time To Live . . . . : 14183
>> Data Length . . . . . : 4
>> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
>> A (Host) Record . . . : 69.89.18.25
>> </displaydns>
>>
>> Note that nslookup got no address for speedstream.com
>>
>> So, for example, your ping response may look similar to this:
>>
>> <cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
>> E:\>ping -n 1 speedstream.com
>> Ping request could not find host speedstream.com. Please check the
>> name and try again. </cmd_output>

>>> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS
>>> re-install to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)

>> I doubt that is necessary or would help with this scenario. ; )

>>> Thanks a million.

>> HTH

> Thanks. The problem is that this laptop will not resolve ANY hostname,
> local or otherwise. I've renamed the hosts file, which did nothing,
> reset winsock, which did nothing, and reset TCP/IP, which did nothing.
>
> I used http://speedstream/ because that is the hostname of my DSL modem
> (and has an IP address of 192.168.254.254). I can connect to it via IP
> address, but NOT via hostname.

Where is that hostname specified? Not in DNS, that is for sure:

| 12/21/08 11:45:08 dns speedstream
| No DNS for this address
| (host doesn't exist)

If it was established in the 'hosts' file, then it would work. As this
hostname works:

| 12/21/08 11:46:08 dns megumi
| Canonical name: megumi.aosake.net
| Aliases:
| Megumi
| Addresses:
| 192.168.102.31

At least until you renamed the 'hosts' file; after which, it would not work.

> BTW. the laptop is connected to the modem through the same router as my
> desktop, which I'm using to post this follow-up. So everything upstream
> of the computer itself is working.
>
> Any further ideas?

If your computer is not resolving any hostname, is it actually even getting
a DNS server? Check at the command prompt: 'ipconfig -all'.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
VanguardLH

Re: IE can't use DNS???
Don Crossman wrote:

> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP SP2 (a
> situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>
> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/) it will
> connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter http://speedstream/
> (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The same holds true for non-
> local addresses, so connectivity is not an issue.
>
> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
> something like that?
>
> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS re-install
> to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> -- Don Crossman

Well, since you are using an unqualified host name (i.e., not a FQDN =
fully qualified domain name, which includes host, domain, and top-level
domain [and perhaps country code]), are you running a WINS server (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...t_Name_Service) to resolve
just the hostnames within your intranet (the names you assigned to each
of your own hosts and which must be unique)? If so, did you configure
your TCP/IP network config to use that WINS server? If not, just how
did you ever expect your Windows host to find your router by that
hostname? Did you add an entry to your hosts file, as Jim suggested, to
provide the resolution since obviously 'speedstream' is not a FQDN that
your [ISP's] DNS server can resolve.

Does your router's documentation actually claim that you should use a
hostname? I bet it tells you to use the IP address. RTFM. Why would
you even bother to memorize your router's IP address? Just create a URL
shortcut to http://192.168.254.254 in a toolbar in the Windows taskbar
or somewhere under your Start menu and just use that to open the config
pages in your router's internal web server.
Don Crossman

Re: IE can't use DNS???
Don Crossman <upperus@spamcity.us> wrote in
news:Xns9B7AEB2515FE8dcrossmanemailcom@74.209.131. 13:

> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP
> SP2 (a situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>
> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/) it
> will connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter
> http://speedstream/ (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The
> same holds true for non- local addresses, so connectivity is not an
> issue.
>
> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
> something like that?
>
> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS
> re-install to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> -- Don Crossman

Well, thank you everyone. though it seemed at times that some of you
were more interested in arguing than helping.

I tried to describe a very strange problem as best I could. This laptop
could connect to any IP address, but NOT to any hostname (fully
qualified or not -- believe me, I tested!)

I finally just re-installed (clean install) the operating system from
the System Restore partition. It took several hours to rebuild the
machine to where these luddites (owners of the laptop) would be happy,
but all is fixed now.

The machine is orders of magnitude better than it was before. It's
happily running XP SP 3, IE 7, AVG 8, Adobe Reader 9, and OpenOffice 3.
All documents, photos, and OE6 settings/emails preserved.

I feel good.

-- Don
Don Crossman

Re: IE can't use DNS???
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:gim94h$bv7$1@news.motzarella.org:

> Don Crossman wrote:
>
>> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP
>> SP2 (a situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>>
>> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/)
>> it will connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter
>> http://speedstream/ (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The
>> same holds true for non- local addresses, so connectivity is not an
>> issue.
>>
>> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
>> something like that?
>>
>> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS
>> re-install to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)
>>
>> Thanks a million.
>>
>> -- Don Crossman

> Well, since you are using an unqualified host name (i.e., not a FQDN =
> fully qualified domain name, which includes host, domain, and
> top-level domain [and perhaps country code]), are you running a WINS
> server (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...t_Name_Service) to resolve
> just the hostnames within your intranet (the names you assigned to
> each of your own hosts and which must be unique)? If so, did you
> configure your TCP/IP network config to use that WINS server? If not,
> just how did you ever expect your Windows host to find your router by
> that hostname? Did you add an entry to your hosts file, as Jim
> suggested, to provide the resolution since obviously 'speedstream' is
> not a FQDN that your [ISP's] DNS server can resolve.
>
> Does your router's documentation actually claim that you should use a
> hostname? I bet it tells you to use the IP address. RTFM. Why would
> you even bother to memorize your router's IP address? Just create a
> URL shortcut to http://192.168.254.254 in a toolbar in the Windows
> taskbar or somewhere under your Start menu and just use that to open
> the config pages in your router's internal web server.

You're not even close to the real problem. Thanks.
VanguardLH

Re: IE can't use DNS???
Don Crossman wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:gim94h$bv7$1@news.motzarella.org:
>
>> Don Crossman wrote:
>>
>>> VERY strange problem on a friend's laptop. It's running IE6 with XP
>>> SP2 (a situation I'll take care of after the big problem is fixed).
>>>
>>> If I type in an actual IP address (such as http://192.168.254.254/)
>>> it will connect (in this case to the router), but if I enter
>>> http://speedstream/ (the exact same router), IE cannot connect. The
>>> same holds true for non- local addresses, so connectivity is not an
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Does this have something to do with the hosts file, or lmhosts, or
>>> something like that?
>>>
>>> More importantly, is there anything I can do short of a full OS
>>> re-install to fix it? (I'm very comfortable with a command prompt.)
>>>
>>> Thanks a million.
>>>
>>> -- Don Crossman

>> Well, since you are using an unqualified host name (i.e., not a FQDN =
>> fully qualified domain name, which includes host, domain, and
>> top-level domain [and perhaps country code]), are you running a WINS
>> server (see
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...t_Name_Service) to resolve
>> just the hostnames within your intranet (the names you assigned to
>> each of your own hosts and which must be unique)? If so, did you
>> configure your TCP/IP network config to use that WINS server? If not,
>> just how did you ever expect your Windows host to find your router by
>> that hostname? Did you add an entry to your hosts file, as Jim
>> suggested, to provide the resolution since obviously 'speedstream' is
>> not a FQDN that your [ISP's] DNS server can resolve.
>>
>> Does your router's documentation actually claim that you should use a
>> hostname? I bet it tells you to use the IP address. RTFM. Why would
>> you even bother to memorize your router's IP address? Just create a
>> URL shortcut to http://192.168.254.254 in a toolbar in the Windows
>> taskbar or somewhere under your Start menu and just use that to open
>> the config pages in your router's internal web server.

> You're not even close to the real problem. Thanks.

You're not even close to how hostname resolution works. Your welcome.