Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7

Steve A

Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
A security update has definately changed a loophole SOMEWHERE, But after
several attempts, I don't think it is just IE7... I have Windows XP (32bit)
SP3 - up till about 3 days ago I could right click on any photo on any
internet page, choose "save as" direct it to as place "My Pictures" for
example and have it saved. Now explorer locks up, freezes and has to be task
manager closed to exit the frozen program. I have uninstalled all updates in
an attempt to find what caused this, then even tried I E 8 Beta 3 (did same
thing) and finally Mozilla Firefox (also freezes when saving a photo). I have
Norton Internet Security and have tried this with firewall and Intrusion
prevention off so I am certain Norton is not affecting this. I've ran I E 7
with no Add-ons (still locks up) and at this point could use some help.
Don Varnau

Re: Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
Hi,
The fact that both browsers are affected suggests that a program like NIS is
causing the problem.

Try this test very briefly- you will be running with reduced protection.

Turn on the Windows firewall (Control panel> Windows Firewall.) Prevent NIS
from loading at startup, from within NIS settings/options or Start> Run>
msconfig> Startup. Restart and see if the problem still occurs.

If NIS is causing the problem, this may be the solution:
Uninstall NIS and run the removal tool
Reinstall the updates from Microsoft.
Reinstall NIS.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Steve A" <Steve A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A security update has definitely changed a loophole SOMEWHERE, But after
> several attempts, I don't think it is just IE7... I have Windows XP

(32bit)
> SP3 - up till about 3 days ago I could right click on any photo on any
> internet page, choose "save as" direct it to as place "My Pictures" for
> example and have it saved. Now explorer locks up, freezes and has to be

task
> manager closed to exit the frozen program. I have uninstalled all updates

in
> an attempt to find what caused this, then even tried I E 8 Beta 3 (did

same
> thing) and finally Mozilla Firefox (also freezes when saving a photo). I

have
> Norton Internet Security and have tried this with firewall and Intrusion
> prevention off so I am certain Norton is not affecting this. I've ran I E

7
> with no Add-ons (still locks up) and at this point could use some help.

Steve A

Re: Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
Thank for the attempt but NIS is NOT the problem 100% gone and the "save
picture as" function still locks up once the "save" button is clicked (it
works right up till the actual save attempt.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> The fact that both browsers are affected suggests that a program like NIS is
> causing the problem.
>
> Try this test very briefly- you will be running with reduced protection.
>
> Turn on the Windows firewall (Control panel> Windows Firewall.) Prevent NIS
> from loading at startup, from within NIS settings/options or Start> Run>
> msconfig> Startup. Restart and see if the problem still occurs.
>
> If NIS is causing the problem, this may be the solution:
> Uninstall NIS and run the removal tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> Reinstall the updates from Microsoft.
> Reinstall NIS.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Steve A" <Steve A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > A security update has definitely changed a loophole SOMEWHERE, But after
> > several attempts, I don't think it is just IE7... I have Windows XP

> (32bit)
> > SP3 - up till about 3 days ago I could right click on any photo on any
> > internet page, choose "save as" direct it to as place "My Pictures" for
> > example and have it saved. Now explorer locks up, freezes and has to be

> task
> > manager closed to exit the frozen program. I have uninstalled all updates

> in
> > an attempt to find what caused this, then even tried I E 8 Beta 3 (did

> same
> > thing) and finally Mozilla Firefox (also freezes when saving a photo). I

> have
> > Norton Internet Security and have tried this with firewall and Intrusion
> > prevention off so I am certain Norton is not affecting this. I've ran I E

> 7
> > with no Add-ons (still locks up) and at this point could use some help.

Donald Anadell

> Thank for the attempt but NIS is NOT the problem 100% gone

Does "100% gone" include running the NIS removal tool?
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> and the "save
> picture as" function still locks up once the "save" button is clicked (it
> works right up till the actual save attempt.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> The fact that both browsers are affected suggests that a program like NIS
>> is
>> causing the problem.
>>
>> Try this test very briefly- you will be running with reduced protection.
>>
>> Turn on the Windows firewall (Control panel> Windows Firewall.) Prevent
>> NIS
>> from loading at startup, from within NIS settings/options or Start> Run>
>> msconfig> Startup. Restart and see if the problem still occurs.
>>
>> If NIS is causing the problem, this may be the solution:
>> Uninstall NIS and run the removal tool
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>> Reinstall the updates from Microsoft.
>> Reinstall NIS.
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Steve A" <Steve A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > A security update has definitely changed a loophole SOMEWHERE, But
>> > after
>> > several attempts, I don't think it is just IE7... I have Windows XP

>> (32bit)
>> > SP3 - up till about 3 days ago I could right click on any photo on any
>> > internet page, choose "save as" direct it to as place "My Pictures" for
>> > example and have it saved. Now explorer locks up, freezes and has to be

>> task
>> > manager closed to exit the frozen program. I have uninstalled all
>> > updates

>> in
>> > an attempt to find what caused this, then even tried I E 8 Beta 3 (did

>> same
>> > thing) and finally Mozilla Firefox (also freezes when saving a photo).

>> have
>> > Norton Internet Security and have tried this with firewall and
>> > Intrusion
>> > prevention off so I am certain Norton is not affecting this. I've ran I

>> 7
>> > with no Add-ons (still locks up) and at this point could use some help.

Steve A

Re: Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
Yes, I already have the Norton removal tool saved to my computer. Did not
make any difference. This is something new that just started after the last
update, but I do not remember the names of all the updates (some were
Microsoft Office and now I'm wondering if THOSE updates did something to
cause this)

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Steve A" <SteveA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thank for the attempt but NIS is NOT the problem 100% gone

> Does "100% gone" include running the NIS removal tool?
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > and the "save
> > picture as" function still locks up once the "save" button is clicked (it
> > works right up till the actual save attempt.
> >
> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> The fact that both browsers are affected suggests that a program like NIS
> >> is
> >> causing the problem.
> >>
> >> Try this test very briefly- you will be running with reduced protection.
> >>
> >> Turn on the Windows firewall (Control panel> Windows Firewall.) Prevent
> >> NIS
> >> from loading at startup, from within NIS settings/options or Start> Run>
> >> msconfig> Startup. Restart and see if the problem still occurs.
> >>
> >> If NIS is causing the problem, this may be the solution:
> >> Uninstall NIS and run the removal tool
> >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> >> Reinstall the updates from Microsoft.
> >> Reinstall NIS.
> >> -
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Don
> >> [MS MVP- IE]
> >>
> >> "Steve A" <Steve A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> (32bit)
> >> task
> >> in
> >> same
> >> have
> >> 7

Nissi1

Re: Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
Hello Steve,

First let me say I am somewhat of a newbie, however I can share my
experience of a system gone awry after an update. On separate occasions I
have done one of the following:

Restore to a time before the update; or
Uninstalled the update.

Before doing both of these, I make a list of the recent updates, which can
be viewed at Start >Update>View Update History

You can tell the recent Updates by the date (if the dates are not in
descending order, with the most recent date first, click Date Installed until
they are). On this same page above the Updates you will see "Installed
updates". Click it. Next window will be Uninstall an Update. Click View
and select Details. Once in Details view scroll over across to the date
column and again click Installed On until you have the most recent date at
the top. (All of this is to ensure you are viewing the most recent updates.)

You may uninstall the updates one at a time, testing IE after each, until
you find the culprit. Not to worry, you can download the other updates again
from Microsoft site. Also, the update feature may downloaded the offending
update again.

The Restore option is also temporary. Although it will take you to a point
before the installation of the updates, the same updates will eventually be
downloaded again.

To prevent problem updates from downloading again I have chosen to change
the Update setting to Download Updates but let me choose whether to install
them. If the Update is considered Urgent or Important I leave it
uninstalled until I find a solution to the problem it causes.

This is the link to the Microsoft Update Discussions Group:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...an g=en&cr=US

I hope this is of help.

Nissi1

"Steve A" wrote:

> Yes, I already have the Norton removal tool saved to my computer. Did not
> make any difference. This is something new that just started after the last
> update, but I do not remember the names of all the updates (some were
> Microsoft Office and now I'm wondering if THOSE updates did something to
> cause this)
>
> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

> > "Steve A" <SteveA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Thank for the attempt but NIS is NOT the problem 100% gone

> > Does "100% gone" include running the NIS removal tool?
> > http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Donald Anadell
> >

> > > and the "save
> > > picture as" function still locks up once the "save" button is clicked (it
> > > works right up till the actual save attempt.

Don Varnau

Re: Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
Hi,
1. The problem persisted after uninstalling all recent updates?
2. Try the (zipped) REG file to restore the JPG/JPEG file associations at

> Yes, I already have the Norton removal tool saved to my computer. Did not
> make any difference. This is something new that just started after the

last
> update, but I do not remember the names of all the updates (some were
> Microsoft Office and now I'm wondering if THOSE updates did something to
> cause this)

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>
> > "Steve A" <SteveA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Thank for the attempt but NIS is NOT the problem 100% gone

> > Does "100% gone" include running the NIS removal tool?

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

> > Good luck,
> >
> > Donald Anadell

> > > and the "save
> > > picture as" function still locks up once the "save" button is clicked

(it
> > > works right up till the actual save attempt.

NIS

protection.

Prevent

XP

any

for

to be

(did

photo).

ran I

help.

Steve A

RE: Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
Don, thanks for the attempt, the JPG reset DID help with a few stubborn
thumbnails that weren't displaying in the "my Pictures" window shell but no
luck with my current problem. I'm now convinced that the problem lies in XP
and quite probably corruption in the registry.
Again, my problem is when I right click on the "save image as" in either I E
7 or Firefox browsers point to a parent directory and click "save" the save
box freezes on the screen and the program hangs and can only be shut down by
the task manager.
Right now I would like to know where the "process" is in the registry or the
windows shell that this command lies so I can compare the code to that of a
working Windows XP pro (like my laptop which works fine)
Steve A

Re: Saving pictures on Internet Explorer 7
It MAY come down to a restore of the whole XP if I can fix this Nissi1, even
a restore back to an ealier date and a reload of a registry back up I made on
12-8-08 (when it worked) has not corrected this.

> Don, thanks for the attempt, the JPG reset DID help with a few stubborn
> thumbnails that weren't displaying in the "my Pictures" window shell but
> no
> luck with my current problem. I'm now convinced that the problem lies in
> XP
> and quite probably corruption in the registry.

> Again, my problem is when I right click on the "save image as" in either I
> 7 or Firefox browsers point to a parent directory and click "save" the
> save
> box freezes on the screen and the program hangs and can only be shut down
> by
> the task manager.

Try stopping the generation of "Thumbs.db" (as described in the article at
the link below) to see if it has any affect on this issue.
http://www.alliancegroup.co.uk/thumbs.htm

> Right now I would like to know where the "process" is in the registry or
> the
> windows shell that this command lies so I can compare the code to that of
> working Windows XP pro (like my laptop which works fine)

Process Monitor, or RegMon located here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...s/default.aspx

Good luck,

Donald Anadell