IE7 Crashes After Security Update

kje514

IE7 Crashes After Security Update
Internet Explorer 7 used to crash regularly but you seemed to have fixed
that. Now it is crashing a lot again after the new security update. It hung
twice today after I watched videos so I had to stop it with the task manager.
Now it just crashed while being launched by another window. Additionally, I
am not getting the window that asks me to report the problem so I am
reporting it here since there does not seem to be another place to do this.
I installed your newest security update yesterday.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 Crashes After Security Update
'We' did not fix anything. 'We' are peer-to-peer newsgroup composed of
fellow computer users who try to help each other out with using Internet
Explorer.

Problems can result when add-ons you have installed, such as browser
toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

kje514 wrote:
> Internet Explorer 7 used to crash regularly but you seemed to have fixed
> that. Now it is crashing a lot again after the new security update. It hung
> twice today after I watched videos so I had to stop it with the task manager.
> Now it just crashed while being launched by another window. Additionally, I
> am not getting the window that asks me to report the problem so I am
> reporting it here since there does not seem to be another place to do this.
> I installed your newest security update yesterday.

Sorken

> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being caused
> by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you how to
> identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

I can confirm that there is indeed a problem with IE7. I have 3 machines
with completely diffrent hardware setup. The machines are running XP Pro SP3
32bit, Vista Ultimate SP1/SP2 64bit and Vista Business SP1 64bit. All of
them have issues with explorer freezing/hanging randomly when you attempt to
load a page either by clicking a link or using the back arrow. Have tried
running IE7 with all addons disabled, have tried cleaning out temp files,
have reset it to default settings. Neither of those standard solutions seem
to help on any of the machines. It doesnt happen that frequently, 2-3 times
a day or so, but its kinda annoying.

The machines all have up to date Avast running and passes a full scan with
no problems. The machines also have all available (non-beta)
critical/important updates installed. System hardware tests such as Prime95,
Orthos, Intel Burn Test and MemTest86+ can run on all 3 machines for 24
hours or more and shows no errors. All drivers for all machines are up to
date and keept updated whenever a new driver version is released. Have
tested with and without internal gateway, doesnt seem to matter.

In addition, the Vista Ultimate (my desktop) machine has been reinstalled
from a full format, then had all updates added from windows update while
being kept behind a hardware firewall only to discover IE7 still hangs, so i
went for SP2 beta which didnt solve the problem either. Note that the system
was kept completely clean apart from fresh install/updates.

I cant see it any other way then there being a problem with IE7.

michael

Re: IE7 Crashes After Security Update
You sound like you know what you're talking about. The other day I fell
asleep while watching netflix (I had come down with the flu, so it is
possible that I unconciously did something in my sleep or picked up some
Malware). When I next tried using my computer, hardly anything
worked...(Word, Excel, Power Point etc)...Explorer was somehow reduced to 64
bits which I can still access, but with only limited results. Any ideas?
--
mm

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> 'We' did not fix anything. 'We' are peer-to-peer newsgroup composed of
> fellow computer users who try to help each other out with using Internet
> Explorer.
>
> Problems can result when add-ons you have installed, such as browser
> toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> kje514 wrote:
> > Internet Explorer 7 used to crash regularly but you seemed to have fixed
> > that. Now it is crashing a lot again after the new security update. It hung
> > twice today after I watched videos so I had to stop it with the task manager.
> > Now it just crashed while being launched by another window. Additionally, I
> > am not getting the window that asks me to report the problem so I am
> > reporting it here since there does not seem to be another place to do this.
> > I installed your newest security update yesterday.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 Crashes After Security Update
If it is "indeed a problem with IE7" then why isn't my copy of IE 7
affected?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

> If it is "indeed a problem with IE7" then why isn't my copy of IE 7
> affected?

I dont know. Perhaps it does have it but you dont experience the problem
because you dont use a particular driver or hardware.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 Crashes After Security Update
<smile> Keep trying...
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

> <smile> Keep trying...

Thats not really helpful.

I dont have any insight into your hardware setup. But i do have multiple
machines with diffrent hardware and diffrent operating systems and they are
all having the same problem. One of the machines is used by the girlfriend
and she doesnt use the same software as i do at all. I have atleast one
friend who reports similar issues. The newsgroup is also getting alot of
posts. What im saying is, just cause you arent afflicted doesnt mean there
isnt a problem.

If you have any helpful ideas please post but keep the stupid stuff to
yourself, please.

Sven Pran

Re: IE7 Crashes After Security Update
Excuse me for butting in, but didn't he state that he experienced the freeze
also when running IE7 with all add-ons disabled and on a system that hade
been reset?

> <smile> Keep trying...
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est

Indeed!

Sven

Sven Pran

Re: IE7 Crashes After Security Update
BTW. May I remind those interested that I some time ago reported an incident
where Microsoft Management Console (the help application for EVENTVWR.EXE)
was hung with exactly the same symptoms as those so frequently reported for
IE7?

I am not even convinced that the IE7 problem is an error with IE7, I suspect
it can be an error in Windows (nucleus) itself, but that it mainly shows up
with IE7 because this is the susceptible application most often in use.

The sporadic nature of the problem tells me that we are probably faced with
some kind of timing coincidence in the system like an external interrupt
occuring during a particular "window" in some code.

Believe me, such problems can be some of the most difficult to identify. I
was back around 1975 engaged in an error situation that occurred once in
about thirty compilation job runs on an IBM mainframe system, it took us
about half a year with intense investigations to solve, and we had never
solved it without an open mind to where the error could be.

Sven