OPERATION ABORTED

wdlaporte

OPERATION ABORTED
Box pops up WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER. Message reads:
Internet Explorere cannot open site http://www.foxnews.com/
OPERATION ABORTED.
This happens after the page has been open for sometime. This website
happens to be my homepage. Everytime I re-open it works fine. After it sits
for awhile then the message box appears and the site has to be closed down
and re-opened. It appears all updates are current. I am using EX7. My
system is XP Service pack 3.
Thank you for any help.

Leonard Grey

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
Is meta-refresh blocked, either in Tools > Internet Options > Security >
Internet Zone or by third-party software?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

wdlaporte wrote:
> Box pops up WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER. Message reads:
> Internet Explorere cannot open site http://www.foxnews.com/
> OPERATION ABORTED.
> This happens after the page has been open for sometime. This website
> happens to be my homepage. Everytime I re-open it works fine. After it sits
> for awhile then the message box appears and the site has to be closed down
> and re-opened. It appears all updates are current. I am using EX7. My
> system is XP Service pack 3.
> Thank you for any help.

wdlaporte

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
Under "Miscellaneous" it shows META-REFRESH: Enabled.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Is meta-refresh blocked, either in Tools > Internet Options > Security >
> Internet Zone or by third-party software?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> wdlaporte wrote:
> > Box pops up WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER. Message reads:
> > Internet Explorere cannot open site http://www.foxnews.com/
> > OPERATION ABORTED.
> > This happens after the page has been open for sometime. This website
> > happens to be my homepage. Everytime I re-open it works fine. After it sits
> > for awhile then the message box appears and the site has to be closed down
> > and re-opened. It appears all updates are current. I am using EX7. My
> > system is XP Service pack 3.
> > Thank you for any help.

Leonard Grey

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
Good. How about your third-part software?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

wdlaporte wrote:
> Under "Miscellaneous" it shows META-REFRESH: Enabled.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Is meta-refresh blocked, either in Tools > Internet Options > Security >
>> Internet Zone or by third-party software?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> wdlaporte wrote:
>>> Box pops up WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER. Message reads:
>>> Internet Explorere cannot open site http://www.foxnews.com/
>>> OPERATION ABORTED.
>>> This happens after the page has been open for sometime. This website
>>> happens to be my homepage. Everytime I re-open it works fine. After it sits
>>> for awhile then the message box appears and the site has to be closed down
>>> and re-opened. It appears all updates are current. I am using EX7. My
>>> system is XP Service pack 3.
>>> Thank you for any help.

wdlaporte

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
Would that be under another name or something other than Security? Couldn't
find anything that said "Thirdparty software."

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Good. How about your third-part software?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> wdlaporte wrote:
> > Under "Miscellaneous" it shows META-REFRESH: Enabled.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Is meta-refresh blocked, either in Tools > Internet Options > Security >
> >> Internet Zone or by third-party software?
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

wdlaporte

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
Upon further investigation I did find under Internet Options > ADVANCED >
Third party browser extention" was ENABLED. Is that it?

"wdlaporte" wrote:

> Would that be under another name or something other than Security? Couldn't
> find anything that said "Thirdparty software."
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
> > Good. How about your third-part software?
> > ---
> > Leonard Grey
> > Errare humanum est
> >
> > wdlaporte wrote:
> > > Under "Miscellaneous" it shows META-REFRESH: Enabled.

Jim

Re: OPERATION ABORTED

"wdlaporte" <wdlaporte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would that be under another name or something other than Security?
> Couldn't
> find anything that said "Thirdparty software."
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Good. How about your third-part software?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> wdlaporte wrote:
>> > Under "Miscellaneous" it shows META-REFRESH: Enabled.

Of course you did not find anything named "third-party software" because
that string means any software not furnished by Microsoft. It is a generic
name for all software not furnished by the primary source.
Jim

wdlaporte

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
The only THIRD PARTY software I can think that would be running, that isn't
from microsoft, is my anti-virus, EMBARQ.

"Jim" wrote:

> "wdlaporte" <wdlaporte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Would that be under another name or something other than Security?
> > Couldn't
> > find anything that said "Thirdparty software."
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Good. How about your third-part software?
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

> Of course you did not find anything named "third-party software" because
> that string means any software not furnished by Microsoft. It is a generic
> name for all software not furnished by the primary source.
> Jim

Daniel Crichton

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
wdlaporte wrote on Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:37:01 -0800:

> Box pops up WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER. Message reads:
> Internet Explorere cannot open site http://www.foxnews.com/
> OPERATION ABORTED.
> This happens after the page has been open for sometime. This website
> happens to be my homepage. Everytime I re-open it works fine. After
> it sits for awhile then the message box appears and the site has to be
> closed down and re-opened. It appears all updates are current. I am
> using EX7. My system is XP Service pack 3.
> Thank you for any help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917

What's happening is that a dynamic part of the site is being reloaded, most
likely through scripting, and that new dynamic part has sloppy coding which
has scripting that attempts to modify an element that has not been closed.
While IE is showing you the error, it's not IE that is at fault here, it's
the author of that sloppy code. You could try emailing the admin of the
foxnews.com site but with a site that big it's unlikely it will get fixed.

--
Dan

Re: OPERATION ABORTED
Daniel Crichton wrote:
>> Box pops up WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER. Message reads:
>> Internet Explorere cannot open site http://www.foxnews.com/
>> OPERATION ABORTED.
>> This happens after the page has been open for sometime. This website
>> happens to be my homepage. Everytime I re-open it works fine. After
>> it sits for awhile then the message box appears and the site has to be
>> closed down and re-opened. It appears all updates are current. I am
>> using EX7. My system is XP Service pack 3.
>> Thank you for any help.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917
>
> What's happening is that a dynamic part of the site is being reloaded,
> most
> likely through scripting, and that new dynamic part has sloppy coding
> which
> has scripting that attempts to modify an element that has not been closed.
> While IE is showing you the error, it's not IE that is at fault here, it's
> the author of that sloppy code. You could try emailing the admin of the
> foxnews.com site but with a site that big it's unlikely it will get fixed.

NB: Please note that despite what KB927917 implies, IE8 is still in beta!
--
~PA Bear