security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly

Angela1

security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
Greetings,

I installed the security download of 12-17-08 on 12-17-08 and since then, my
Internet Explorer 7 crashes regularly several times so far. For example, I
was reading the academic journal Science online--as I always do--and out of
nowhere Explorer turned white and crashed, closing all windows and
auto-restarted. This has become rather inconvenient since I have multiple
tabs open all the time with various email accounts logged into, which always
cancels every login when Explorer crashes.

Earlier today it crashed in the middle of a purchase and several other times
in simlarly completely inconvenient circumstances.

This did not happen prior to the security update and I have not installed
any new software since, so the change is (must be) in the security update.

Sincerely,
--
Angela

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
Do you temporarily disable your anti-malware software when installing
updates? (You should.)

Problems can also result when add-ons you have installed, such as
browser toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Angela1 wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I installed the security download of 12-17-08 on 12-17-08 and since then, my
> Internet Explorer 7 crashes regularly several times so far. For example, I
> was reading the academic journal Science online--as I always do--and out of
> nowhere Explorer turned white and crashed, closing all windows and
> auto-restarted. This has become rather inconvenient since I have multiple
> tabs open all the time with various email accounts logged into, which always
> cancels every login when Explorer crashes.
>
> Earlier today it crashed in the middle of a purchase and several other times
> in simlarly completely inconvenient circumstances.
>
> This did not happen prior to the security update and I have not installed
> any new software since, so the change is (must be) in the security update.
>
> Sincerely,

Angela1

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
Thanks for your response and I can see this is Microsoft's standard response
to everyone complaining about pretty much the same thing... I would have
expected Microsoft to fix the bug in that what used to work before doesn;t
work now because of Microsoft updates... hence the trouble is not with google
toolbar--which is now auto-deactivated--but with Microsoft.

I actually got so angry that I installed Explorer 8 Beta, which was a HUGE
mistake! And upon uninstalling that and resetting version 7, I went through
the hair-raising experience of losing all my last day's data... but I figured
out where to find and what with tghe help of a techie (my son)... but I don;t
recommend anyone doing what I just did!

Please encourage Microsoft to get back to its good name... fix explorer!

Thanks!
--
Angela

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Do you temporarily disable your anti-malware software when installing
> updates? (You should.)
>
> Problems can also result when add-ons you have installed, such as
> browser toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Angela1 wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I installed the security download of 12-17-08 on 12-17-08 and since then, my
> > Internet Explorer 7 crashes regularly several times so far. For example, I
> > was reading the academic journal Science online--as I always do--and out of
> > nowhere Explorer turned white and crashed, closing all windows and
> > auto-restarted. This has become rather inconvenient since I have multiple
> > tabs open all the time with various email accounts logged into, which always
> > cancels every login when Explorer crashes.
> >
> > Earlier today it crashed in the middle of a purchase and several other times
> > in simlarly completely inconvenient circumstances.
> >
> > This did not happen prior to the security update and I have not installed
> > any new software since, so the change is (must be) in the security update.
> >
> > Sincerely,

N. Miller

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:52:08 -0800, Angela1 wrote:

> Thanks for your response and I can see this is Microsoft's standard response
> to everyone complaining about pretty much the same thing... I would have
> expected Microsoft to fix the bug in that what used to work before doesn;t
> work now because of Microsoft updates... hence the trouble is not with google
> toolbar--which is now auto-deactivated--but with Microsoft.
>
> I actually got so angry that I installed Explorer 8 Beta, which was a HUGE
> mistake! And upon uninstalling that and resetting version 7, I went through
> the hair-raising experience of losing all my last day's data... but I figured
> out where to find and what with tghe help of a techie (my son)... but I don;t
> recommend anyone doing what I just did!
>
> Please encourage Microsoft to get back to its good name... fix explorer!

I don't do betas, as a rule. I have only ever encountered one bug caused by
a Microsoft Update (one other problem turned out not to be an MSFT bug, and
each was easily dealt with).

I had no problem with this MSIE 7 update, and not seen many others reporting
problems. As a rule, I disable AV before updates, and run a lean browser
(very few add-ins). So I am not inclined to think that this is a bug. I am
inclined to accept that the advice you were given is as good as it gets.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
Leonard Grey

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
How come it worked fine for me? Could it be...possibly...that you are
the one who needs to fix things?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Angela1 wrote:
> Thanks for your response and I can see this is Microsoft's standard response
> to everyone complaining about pretty much the same thing... I would have
> expected Microsoft to fix the bug in that what used to work before doesn;t
> work now because of Microsoft updates... hence the trouble is not with google
> toolbar--which is now auto-deactivated--but with Microsoft.
>
> I actually got so angry that I installed Explorer 8 Beta, which was a HUGE
> mistake! And upon uninstalling that and resetting version 7, I went through
> the hair-raising experience of losing all my last day's data... but I figured
> out where to find and what with tghe help of a techie (my son)... but I don;t
> recommend anyone doing what I just did!
>
> Please encourage Microsoft to get back to its good name... fix explorer!
>
> Thanks!

Daniel Crichton

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
If you took the time to read the replies you'll see that's not "Microsoft's"
response - this group is full of non-Microsoft people who happen to try and
help out people with issues.

The security update changed the MSHTML.DLL in IE, which simply closed a
security hole. On every PC I have installed it on here there has been no
detectable change in how IE works - no crashes, no loss of data, nothing.

If you run your IE7 in No-Addons mode does it still crash? If not, then
something else is wrong - do you have Flash installed, or Java, or any of
thousands of other non-Microsoft add-ons written for IE? It's most likely
one of those that is causing the problems, and it's just coincidence that it
started happening after you installed this update.

Dan

Angela1 wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:52:08 -0800:

> Thanks for your response and I can see this is Microsoft's standard
> response to everyone complaining about pretty much the same thing... I
> would have expected Microsoft to fix the bug in that what used to work
> before doesn;t work now because of Microsoft updates... hence the
> trouble is not with google toolbar--which is now auto-deactivated--but
> with Microsoft.

> I actually got so angry that I installed Explorer 8 Beta, which was a
> HUGE mistake! And upon uninstalling that and resetting version 7, I
> went through the hair-raising experience of losing all my last day's
> data... but I figured out where to find and what with tghe help of a
> techie (my son)... but I don;t recommend anyone doing what I just did!

> Please encourage Microsoft to get back to its good name... fix
> explorer!

> Thanks!
> --
> Angela

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:

>> Do you temporarily disable your anti-malware software when installing
>> updates? (You should.)

>> Problems can also result when add-ons you have installed, such as
>> browser toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search

box>>> click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:

>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

>> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
>> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
>> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est

>> Angela1 wrote:
>>> Greetings,

>>> I installed the security download of 12-17-08 on 12-17-08 and since
>>> then, my
>>> Internet Explorer 7 crashes regularly several times so far. For
>>> example, I was reading the academic journal Science online--as I
>>> always do--and out of nowhere Explorer turned white and crashed,
>>> closing all windows and auto-restarted. This has become rather
>>> inconvenient since I have multiple tabs open all the time with
>>> various email accounts logged into, which always cancels every
>>> login when Explorer crashes.

>>> Earlier today it crashed in the middle of a purchase and several
>>> other times in simlarly completely inconvenient circumstances.

>>> This did not happen prior to the security update and I have not
>>> installed any new software since, so the change is (must be) in the
>>> security update.

>>> Sincerely,

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
posting to this newsgroup.

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB960714)

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Angela1 wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I installed the security download of 12-17-08 on 12-17-08 and since then,
> my
> Internet Explorer 7 crashes regularly several times so far. For example, I
> was reading the academic journal Science online--as I always do--and out
> of
> nowhere Explorer turned white and crashed, closing all windows and
> auto-restarted. This has become rather inconvenient since I have multiple
> tabs open all the time with various email accounts logged into, which
> always
> cancels every login when Explorer crashes.
>
> Earlier today it crashed in the middle of a purchase and several other
> times
> in simlarly completely inconvenient circumstances.
>
> This did not happen prior to the security update and I have not installed
> any new software since, so the change is (must be) in the security update.
>
> Sincerely,

Angela1

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
Dear PA Bear,

Thanks for your help. I actually am now fine after uninstalling Beta version
8 and uninstalling the security update, my explorer 7 version with all its
add-ons I have (and need and am not willing to part with) is working just
fine.

For the rest of the responders: pelase note that I appreciate your
will. The point I was trying to make is that add-ons are an important part of
Explorer and the solution to fixing Explorer is NOT to remove all add-ons but
to FIX them all to work together.

Some of the add-ons, for some people at least, are not for fun but are
necessary tools. I am in academia and cannot function without adobe converter
add-on and google academic search add-on. I don't use these for fun or games!
These are for work! Unistalling them or to have a non-functioning browser is
not an option.

For your information, there are alternate browsers out there but since
add-ons don't work well on those, I need to stick with Explorer, which works
the best.

And finally, note that by reverting back to pre-security updates, Explorer 7
works just fine without any crashes with all else remaining the same in terms
of add-ons!!!

Cheers,

--
Angela

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB960714)
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> Angela1 wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I installed the security download of 12-17-08 on 12-17-08 and since then,
> > my
> > Internet Explorer 7 crashes regularly several times so far. For example, I
> > was reading the academic journal Science online--as I always do--and out
> > of
> > nowhere Explorer turned white and crashed, closing all windows and
> > auto-restarted. This has become rather inconvenient since I have multiple
> > tabs open all the time with various email accounts logged into, which
> > always
> > cancels every login when Explorer crashes.
> >
> > Earlier today it crashed in the middle of a purchase and several other
> > times
> > in simlarly completely inconvenient circumstances.
> >
> > This did not happen prior to the security update and I have not installed
> > any new software since, so the change is (must be) in the security update.
> >
> > Sincerely,

Leonard Grey

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
If you think Microsoft is able to "fix" add-ons created by third parties
there is much you do not understand.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Angela1 wrote:
> Dear PA Bear,
>
> Thanks for your help. I actually am now fine after uninstalling Beta version
> 8 and uninstalling the security update, my explorer 7 version with all its
> add-ons I have (and need and am not willing to part with) is working just
> fine.
>
> For the rest of the responders: pelase note that I appreciate your
> will. The point I was trying to make is that add-ons are an important part of
> Explorer and the solution to fixing Explorer is NOT to remove all add-ons but
> to FIX them all to work together.
>
> Some of the add-ons, for some people at least, are not for fun but are
> necessary tools. I am in academia and cannot function without adobe converter
> add-on and google academic search add-on. I don't use these for fun or games!
> These are for work! Unistalling them or to have a non-functioning browser is
> not an option.
>
> For your information, there are alternate browsers out there but since
> add-ons don't work well on those, I need to stick with Explorer, which works
> the best.
>
> And finally, note that by reverting back to pre-security updates, Explorer 7
> works just fine without any crashes with all else remaining the same in terms
> of add-ons!!!
>
> Cheers,

Angela1

Re: security update makes Explorer 7 crash constantly
Dear Leonard!

In addition to the world of techies, there is a business model out there
that is followed by Microsoft and others.

I do understand that Microsoft is not wishing to fix a third-party add-on
but ultimately, given that Microsoft provides an Explorer in a competitive
world by free choice, I expect Microsoft to not allow its competition to get
a head start on a better-functioning browser than Explorer with third-party
add-ons.

If Explorer was not important to Microsoft's business model for its profits
one way or another, we would not have Explorer!

Looking at it from this perspective, alerting Microsoft of the
non-functioning third-party add-ons and their potential implications to
customers dropping Microsoft browser, is an important information and it is
Microsoft who needs to fix that damage!

Clear?

--
Angela