Cannot open new IE7 windows

Pouks

Cannot open new IE7 windows
Using IE7 with WinXP Pro. So it seems to be specific to IE 7, not to Vista.
Heard of other people that have the same problem with IE7, on Vista...seems
IE7 related then.

I noticed that as soon as i open IE window, there's a certain amount of
memory used for it (seen in my task manager) and as long as i don't close
ALL my IE screens, each new one (related to the 1st one...opened by
shift-clicking on a link or else) rises that amount, even if i closed some
in the process.

I think it allocates 39M when i open the 1st one, if i open more (by
shift-clicking on a link or if i'm set to open new windows automatically
when using links), it rises...often to 270M or more...when it's high enough,
IE stops reacting. The last window opened doesn't have the "menu bar" at the
top and nay action in that last screen is impossible, can't use links, can't
browse away, can't use contextual menus, etc. I got to close windows and
even then, I cannot get new ones opened again or, if i can, it's less each
time that problem happends...

Eventually, i close all my IE screens...but it's still not solved. I got to
go in my task manager and manually "end task" for iexplore.exe that is still
there even if all my browsers are closed. Or...simply reboot...which is
longer though.

I can then start all my work again.

Don Varnau

Re: Cannot open new IE7 windows
Hi,
A browser add-on may be preventing the release of memory after you close
windows or tabs.
For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

- - -
This registry edit may help:
http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr/archi...mitations.aspx
Be sure to backup the registry or backup that key or create a restore point
before editing the registry.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]