Cannot open new IE7 windows

Pascal Grenier

Cannot open new IE7 windows
Using IE7 with WinXP Pro. So it seems to be specific to IE 7, not to Vista.
Heard of other people that have the same problem with IE7, on Vista...seems
IE7 related then.

I noticed that as soon as i open IE window, there's a certain amount of
memory used for it (seen in my task manager) and as long as i don't close
ALL my IE screens, each new one (related to the 1st one...opened by
shift-clicking on a link or else) rises that amount, even if i closed some
in the process.

I think it allocates 39M when i open the 1st one, if i open more (by
shift-clicking on a link or if i'm set to open new windows automatically
when using links), it rises...often to 270M or more...when it's high enough,
IE stops reacting. The last window opened doesn't have the "menu bar" at the
top and nay action in that last screen is impossible, can't use links, can't
browse away, can't use contextual menus, etc. I got to close windows and
even then, I cannot get new ones opened again or, if i can, it's less each
time that problem happends...

Eventually, i close all my IE screens...but it's still not solved. I got to
go in my task manager and manually "end task" for iexplore.exe that is still
there even if all my browsers are closed. Or...simply reboot...which is
longer though.

I can then start all my work again.

Re: Cannot open new IE7 windows
=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Pascal Grenier wrote:
> Using IE7 with WinXP Pro. So it seems to be specific to IE 7, not to
> Vista.
> Heard of other people that have the same problem with IE7, on
> Vista...seems
> IE7 related then.
>
> I noticed that as soon as i open IE window, there's a certain amount of
> memory used for it (seen in my task manager) and as long as i don't close
> ALL my IE screens, each new one (related to the 1st one...opened by
> shift-clicking on a link or else) rises that amount, even if i closed some
> in the process.
>
> I think it allocates 39M when i open the 1st one, if i open more (by
> shift-clicking on a link or if i'm set to open new windows automatically
> when using links), it rises...often to 270M or more...when it's high
> enough,
> IE stops reacting. The last window opened doesn't have the "menu bar" at
> the
> top and nay action in that last screen is impossible, can't use links,
> can't
> browse away, can't use contextual menus, etc. I got to close windows and
> even then, I cannot get new ones opened again or, if i can, it's less each
> time that problem happends...
>
> Eventually, i close all my IE screens...but it's still not solved. I got
> go in my task manager and manually "end task" for iexplore.exe that is
> still
> there even if all my browsers are closed. Or...simply reboot...which is
> longer though.
>
> I can then start all my work again.

Pouks

Re: Cannot open new IE7 windows
Running in "No Add-On" mode fixes the problem.

Now, how can i find which add-on would cause the problem ?

Thanks for help so far. Already real good to know what the main problem is.

>=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
>IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> Add-ons; or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Pascal Grenier wrote:
>> Using IE7 with WinXP Pro. So it seems to be specific to IE 7, not to
>> Vista.
>> Heard of other people that have the same problem with IE7, on
>> Vista...seems
>> IE7 related then.
>>
>> I noticed that as soon as i open IE window, there's a certain amount of
>> memory used for it (seen in my task manager) and as long as i don't close
>> ALL my IE screens, each new one (related to the 1st one...opened by
>> shift-clicking on a link or else) rises that amount, even if i closed
>> some
>> in the process.
>>
>> I think it allocates 39M when i open the 1st one, if i open more (by
>> shift-clicking on a link or if i'm set to open new windows automatically
>> when using links), it rises...often to 270M or more...when it's high
>> enough,
>> IE stops reacting. The last window opened doesn't have the "menu bar" at
>> the
>> top and nay action in that last screen is impossible, can't use links,
>> can't
>> browse away, can't use contextual menus, etc. I got to close windows and
>> even then, I cannot get new ones opened again or, if i can, it's less
>> each
>> time that problem happends...
>>
>> Eventually, i close all my IE screens...but it's still not solved. I got
>> go in my task manager and manually "end task" for iexplore.exe that is
>> still
>> there even if all my browsers are closed. Or...simply reboot...which is
>> longer though.
>>
>> I can then start all my work again.

Pouks

Re: Cannot open new IE7 windows
Ok, i figured it out. In IE, i went in "tools", in "'Manage Add-Ons" and
disabled 'em one at a time until the problem was fixed. It was "AVG Safe
Search" that was causing the problem.

Thx a lot for help, really appreciated.

"Pouks" <pouks@b2b2c.ca> wrote in message
> Running in "No Add-On" mode fixes the problem.
>
> Now, how can i find which add-on would cause the problem ?
>
> Thanks for help so far. Already real good to know what the main problem
> is.

>>=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
>>start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or
>>
>> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Pascal Grenier wrote:
>>> Using IE7 with WinXP Pro. So it seems to be specific to IE 7, not to
>>> Vista.
>>> Heard of other people that have the same problem with IE7, on
>>> Vista...seems
>>> IE7 related then.
>>>
>>> I noticed that as soon as i open IE window, there's a certain amount of
>>> memory used for it (seen in my task manager) and as long as i don't
>>> close
>>> ALL my IE screens, each new one (related to the 1st one...opened by
>>> shift-clicking on a link or else) rises that amount, even if i closed
>>> some
>>> in the process.
>>>
>>> I think it allocates 39M when i open the 1st one, if i open more (by
>>> shift-clicking on a link or if i'm set to open new windows automatically
>>> when using links), it rises...often to 270M or more...when it's high
>>> enough,
>>> IE stops reacting. The last window opened doesn't have the "menu bar" at
>>> the
>>> top and nay action in that last screen is impossible, can't use links,
>>> can't
>>> browse away, can't use contextual menus, etc. I got to close windows and
>>> even then, I cannot get new ones opened again or, if i can, it's less
>>> each
>>> time that problem happends...
>>>
>>> Eventually, i close all my IE screens...but it's still not solved. I got
>>> go in my task manager and manually "end task" for iexplore.exe that is
>>> still
>>> there even if all my browsers are closed. Or...simply reboot...which is
>>> longer though.
>>>
>>> I can then start all my work again.

Re: Cannot open new IE7 windows
YW. It could be that Safe Seach isn't playing nicely with one or more of
your other Add-ons. That being said, try this:

1. Download a fresh copy of the AVG Free 8.0 installer, saving it to your C:
drive (i.e, C:\avg_free_stf_en_8_176a1400.exe) =>
http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe or
http://www.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_...8_176a1400.exe

2. Uninstall AVG 8.0 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've got AVG 8.0 installed,
properly configured, and updated!

3. Carefully follow these instructions to custom install AVG 8.0:
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338

Tip: Do NOT install the toolbar (if offered) or either of the email
scanners. Email Scanning provides no additional protection, it's a major
source of corruption and problems in most (Windows) Mail Clients.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

4. Configure AVG as you wish via the User Interface: Tools | Advanced
settings.

5. Check for and install any available updates.

AVG Free Suport Forum
http://freeforum.avg.com/