Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http:// .... Operation aborted

Dave Horne

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http:// .... Operation aborted
I receive this message from time to time (IE7, Vista Home Premium, SP1 and
up to date). The page that the message references is in fact loaded and
staring me in the face.

What's the story here? Thanks, Dave Horne

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http:// ....Operation aborted
Web pages are frequently assembled from many servers. One of the servers
could not send its packets to you, probably an ad. Happens all the time
and is normal.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Dave Horne wrote:
> I receive this message from time to time (IE7, Vista Home Premium, SP1
> and up to date). The page that the message references is in fact loaded
> and staring me in the face.
>
> What's the story here? Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http:// .... Operation aborted
Leonard, thanks for the reply. DH

> Web pages are frequently assembled from many servers. One of the servers
> could not send its packets to you, probably an ad. Happens all the time
> and is normal.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> I receive this message from time to time (IE7, Vista Home Premium, SP1
>> and up to date). The page that the message references is in fact loaded
>> and staring me in the face.
>>
>> What's the story here? Thanks, Dave Horne

Daniel Crichton

Dave wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:47:59 +0100:

> I receive this message from time to time (IE7, Vista Home Premium, SP1
> and up to date). The page that the message references is in fact
> loaded and staring me in the face.

> What's the story here? Thanks, Dave Horne

The "Operation Aborted" dialog, when clicked, causes the page to go blank,
right? This is caused by slopping coding in the page you are viewing where
some scripting is trying to modify an element of the page that is not
complete. For instance, having some javascript that modifies a DIV tag
before the </DIV> has been sent to the browser is a common cause of this.
I've seen it a number of times recently on sites that use Feedreader to add
in data from an RSS feed and that add-in has a mistake in the coding.

You can find more details here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917

It appears that in IE8 this no longer occurs:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-aborted.aspx

Annoyingly though MS haven't modified IE7 to not have this error clear the
page when you press OK, I'd have preferred it if it just left the page
incomplete but at least readable at that point. Then again I haven't seen
this pop up for a few months on my own PCs while browsing.

--
Dan

Daniel Crichton

Re: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http:// .... Operation aborted
This error doesn't occur if IE doesn't get packets of data from a server
referenced in the page. It's specifically due to client side scripting
attempting to modify an unclosed element in the HTML.

If IE doesn't get a response from a server that it requested data from it
simply doesn't show what it didn't receive. That's why you occassionally see
red X's instead of images, or iframe with an error message in them where ads
couldn't be retrieved, or other missing parts on pages.

Dan

Leonard wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:19:29 -0500:

> Web pages are frequently assembled from many servers. One of the
> servers could not send its packets to you, probably an ad. Happens all
> the time and is normal.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est

> Dave Horne wrote:
>> I receive this message from time to time (IE7, Vista Home Premium,
>> SP1 and up to date). The page that the message references is in
>> fact loaded and staring me in the face.

>> What's the story here? Thanks, Dave Horne

Dave Horne

Re: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http:// .... Operation aborted
"The "Operation Aborted" dialog, when clicked, causes the page to go blank,
right? " Nope, the page is already loaded. I think the post from Leonard
was the answer. The page is already loaded, I see that message, click it,
and that's it. At any rate, I'm not worring about this, I just wanted more
information. I do see more information loaded (ads) as I click that message
away or slightly later - I'm sure it's just an ad arriving a little later
from yet another server.

I can't use IE8 as I"ve had problems with McAfee Security Center displaying
correctly with IE8.

Thanks, Dave Horne

"Daniel Crichton" <msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> Dave wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:47:59 +0100:
>
>> I receive this message from time to time (IE7, Vista Home Premium, SP1
>> and up to date). The page that the message references is in fact
>> loaded and staring me in the face.

>> What's the story here? Thanks, Dave Horne

> The "Operation Aborted" dialog, when clicked, causes the page to go blank,
> right? This is caused by slopping coding in the page you are viewing where
> some scripting is trying to modify an element of the page that is not
> complete. For instance, having some javascript that modifies a DIV tag
> before the </DIV> has been sent to the browser is a common cause of this.
> I've seen it a number of times recently on sites that use Feedreader to
> add in data from an RSS feed and that add-in has a mistake in the coding.
>
> You can find more details here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917
>
> It appears that in IE8 this no longer occurs:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-aborted.aspx
>
> Annoyingly though MS haven't modified IE7 to not have this error clear the
> page when you press OK, I'd have preferred it if it just left the page
> incomplete but at least readable at that point. Then again I haven't seen
> this pop up for a few months on my own PCs while browsing.
>
> --
> Dan

Dave Horne