Opening XML Files

bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Opening XML Files
Hi! 18 Dec

How does one open .XML FIles?
If I double click on a .XML files: IE7 is launched, ( Which the default for .
XML is IE); and it shows me the source code in various colours.

Mohan

Daniel Crichton

Re: Opening XML Files
bnmohan wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:17:55 GMT:

> Hi! 18 Dec

> How does one open .XML FIles?
> If I double click on a .XML files: IE7 is launched, ( Which the default
> for .
> XML is IE); and it shows me the source code in various colours.

> Mohan

That's how the default XML rendering in IE looks. But you should notice that
there is a - next to each node with children which you can use to collapse
that node, and it will change to a + so you can open it again.

What were you expecting to see? Without a stylesheet reference all IE can do
is use it's default XML renderer.

--
Dan

bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Re: Opening XML Files
When I click on a .html file, IE ( the default application to OPEN html files)
opens and processes the file. I do not see the source code, but a processed
output.

So I wonder what .css files are required, when the .xml appears to a be a
standalone file; and how IE can be given the reference. Or whether XML is
only for Office 2007?

Mohan

Daniel Crichton wrote:
>bnmohan wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:17:55 GMT:
>
>> Hi! 18 Dec

>> How does one open .XML FIles?
>> If I double click on a .XML files: IE7 is launched, ( Which the default
>> for .
>> XML is IE); and it shows me the source code in various colours.

>> Mohan

>That's how the default XML rendering in IE looks. But you should notice that
>there is a - next to each node with children which you can use to collapse
>that node, and it will change to a + so you can open it again.
>
>What were you expecting to see? Without a stylesheet reference all IE can do
>is use it's default XML renderer.

Daniel Crichton

Re: Opening XML Files
XML does not use CSS - it is not HTML. And when you open an XML file, you
are seeing IE7 render it - if you click View Source then you will see that
the raw XML does not contain -+ next to nodes or code to enable nodes to be
expanded/collapsed, those are added by IE's renderer.

XML is an open format for storing data. It's is not specific to Office 2007,
and was around long before Microsoft started using it.

For more info, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp

http://www.xml.com/

http://www.w3.org/XML/

and thousands of other pages you can find via Google.

As to formatting, seee

http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/

http://www.w3schools.com/XML/xml_xsl.asp

as you can see, an XSL stylesheet is nothing like a CSS file.

And again I ask, what did you expect to see? XML files do not contain any
presentation formatting (HTML is a markup language for presenting
information, so it cannot be compared to XML in this regard), so all IE can
do is show the data as it has no way of knowing what else to do with it
unless it is also given an XSL reference to format it.

Dan