[Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

[Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx

Microsoft has completed the investigation into a public report of this
vulnerability. We have issued MS08-078 to address this issue. For more
information about this issue, including download links for an available
security update, please review MS08-078.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...riteria=dat e

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
cf. Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-078 - Critical: Security Update for
Internet Explorer (960714):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-078.mspx

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx
>
> Microsoft has completed the investigation into a public report of this
> vulnerability. We have issued MS08-078 to address this issue. For more
> information about this issue, including download links for an available
> security update, please review MS08-078.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...riteria=dat e

Lenie

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Why haven't microsoft issued this as an update to all, not everyone uses
news groups to find this out, I have updates turned on on my computer and
nothing has beeen sent as of yet.

Lenie
> cf. Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-078 - Critical: Security Update for
> Internet Explorer (960714):
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-078.mspx
>

> Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx
>>
>> Microsoft has completed the investigation into a public report of this
>> vulnerability. We have issued MS08-078 to address this issue. For more
>> information about this issue, including download links for an available
>> security update, please review MS08-078.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...riteria=dat e

Jim

"Lenie" <lenie.s@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Why haven't microsoft issued this as an update to all, not everyone uses
> news groups to find this out, I have updates turned on on my computer and
> nothing has beeen sent as of yet.
>
> Lenie
>> cf. Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-078 - Critical: Security Update for
>> Internet Explorer (960714):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-078.mspx
>>

>> Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx
>>>
>>> Microsoft has completed the investigation into a public report of this
>>> vulnerability. We have issued MS08-078 to address this issue. For more
>>> information about this issue, including download links for an available
>>> security update, please review MS08-078.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...riteria=dat e

Don't know about why this hasn't been offered yet.
I downloaded the patch shortly after Vincenzo posted the notice. I had been
looking for the patch anyway.
It only took a few minutes to download and install.
Jim

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
There are tens of millions of users who need this patch. Automatic Updates
can't offer it to everyone in 3-4 hours. I'm sure it will be offered via
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, Lenie, if you're impatient.

Lenie wrote:
> Why haven't microsoft issued this as an update to all, not everyone uses
> news groups to find this out, I have updates turned on on my computer and
> nothing has beeen sent as of yet.

>> cf. Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-078 - Critical: Security Update for
>> Internet Explorer (960714):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-078.mspx
>>

>> Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx
>>>
>>> Microsoft has completed the investigation into a public report of this
>>> vulnerability. We have issued MS08-078 to address this issue. For more
>>> information about this issue, including download links for an available
>>> security update, please review MS08-078.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...riteria=dat e

Sunny

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution

"Lenie" <lenie.s@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Why haven't microsoft issued this as an update to all, not everyone uses
> news groups to find this out, I have updates turned on on my computer
> and nothing has beeen sent as of yet.

I updated three computers this morning (at 0800hr Aus EST) using the Win
update site.
(I use "custom" button to choose updates and don't rely on the "auto"
stuff) :-)

Lenie

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
I am not impatient, but if this is such a serious flaw it should be sent to
everyone via automatic updates, as I said not everyone uses news groups to
find these things out, there are people out there that don't even know the
problem exists.

Lenie

> There are tens of millions of users who need this patch. Automatic
> Updates can't offer it to everyone in 3-4 hours. I'm sure it will be
> offered via http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, Lenie, if you're
> impatient.
>
> Lenie wrote:
>> Why haven't microsoft issued this as an update to all, not everyone uses
>> news groups to find this out, I have updates turned on on my computer and
>> nothing has beeen sent as of yet.

>>> cf. Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-078 - Critical: Security Update for
>>> Internet Explorer (960714):
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-078.mspx

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
It *is* being "sent to everyone," Lenie, but it's physically impossible for
AU to offer it to everyone at once.

Lenie wrote:
> I am not impatient, but if this is such a serious flaw it should be sent
> everyone via automatic updates, as I said not everyone uses news groups to
> find these things out, there are people out there that don't even know the
> problem exists.
>
> Lenie

>> There are tens of millions of users who need this patch. Automatic
>> Updates can't offer it to everyone in 3-4 hours. I'm sure it will be
>> offered via http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, Lenie, if you're
>> impatient.
>>
>> Lenie wrote:
>>> Why haven't microsoft issued this as an update to all, not everyone uses
>>> news groups to find this out, I have updates turned on on my computer
>>> and
>>> nothing has beeen sent as of yet.

Lenie

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Fair enough, but here it is 2 days later and it still hasn't been offered
via AU...

Lenie
> It *is* being "sent to everyone," Lenie, but it's physically impossible
> for AU to offer it to everyone at once.
>
> Lenie wrote:
>> I am not impatient, but if this is such a serious flaw it should be sent
>> everyone via automatic updates, as I said not everyone uses news groups
>> find these things out, there are people out there that don't even know
>> the
>> problem exists.
>>
>> Lenie

>>> There are tens of millions of users who need this patch. Automatic
>>> Updates can't offer it to everyone in 3-4 hours. I'm sure it will be
>>> offered via http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, Lenie, if you're
>>> impatient.

Re: [Security Update released] Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Have tried Windows Update website? It could take 5-7 days for AU to offer
it, depending on your AU settings and how often (or not) you reboot.