Not able to use online school resorces

Rev Anderson

Not able to use online school resorces
IE7, on Vista, will not allow my schools server to install the ActiveX
control needed for me to access the training server. I get an error message
saying that the ActiveX is not signed and then IE7 just exits back to the
original page without allowing the ActiveX Control to be installed!

So, I changed my Security settings to "Enable" for all ActiveX Controls.
After that, IE7 gives me an error message that my Security settings are too
low and will not even go past that warning message?????

I had to install Mozilla FireFox just to be able to access my schools
training server.

Why am I being forced to use a product that takes control of the system away
from me??? It worked with XP Pro.
--
Life is an adventure with God leading.
VanguardLH

Re: Not able to use online school resorces
Rev Anderson wrote:

> IE7, on Vista, will not allow my schools server to install the ActiveX
> control needed for me to access the training server. I get an error message
> saying that the ActiveX is not signed and then IE7 just exits back to the
> original page without allowing the ActiveX Control to be installed!
>
> So, I changed my Security settings to "Enable" for all ActiveX Controls.
> After that, IE7 gives me an error message that my Security settings are too
> low and will not even go past that warning message?????
>
> I had to install Mozilla FireFox just to be able to access my schools
> training server.
>
> Why am I being forced to use a product that takes control of the system away
> from me??? It worked with XP Pro.

No, you are NOT installing the AX control on your school's server host.
Hopefully you don't even have access to that host other than what they
provide, like through a web server. You don't get to install anything
on their server. You install the AX control on *your* host.

That IE refuses to allow installation of an unsigned AX control is
entirely dependent on how you have configured IE's options. The default
is to reject unsigned AX objects because you don't know from whom that
object originates. Go into IE's security settings for the Internet
security zone (or whatever security zone the server host is categorized)
and set "Download unsigned ActiveX controls" to Prompt or Enable instead
of Disable. If they are unsigned, you shouldn't be accepting them. If
you choose to lower security so anyone can install anything they want
without ever identifying themself to you, then select Prompt so, at
least, you know someone is trying to push an unidentified AX control
into your host.

Firefox by itself does not support ActiveX. ActiveX is only applicable
on Windows platforms (it is a Microsoft thing). Firefox is
cross-platform so ActiveX support would inappropriate for FireFox
because it might be running on non-Windows platforms. Plus the Mozilla
folks love to tout that Firefox is more secure (than IE) because of its
*lack* of support for ActiveX. Go read:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/ActiveX

So you must've installed the ActiveX plug-in to reduce its claimed
greater security. You took an deliberate action on Firefox to reduce
its innate security by adding ActiveX support. Apparently, according to
your report here, the default config for that plug-in is to allow
unsigned controls and not even prompt on them, or it did prompt but you
neglected to mention that. You committed an overt action to reduce
security in Firefox. You'll have to do the same in IE.

"... changed my Security settings to "Enable" for all ActiveX Controls."
Since you lumped them all together, I don't know what were the actual
titles of the ActiveX settings that you changed. Did you set to Prompt
or Enable the one called "Download unsigned ActiveX controls"? Did you
then exit (all instances of iexplore.exe) and restart IE? I don't use
Vista so perhaps its added security is what is generating the "Security
settings are too low" error message. Have you tried disabling UAC?
Maybe that will not run IE7 in its protected mode. Disabling UAC is one
of the methods listed at:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...rotected-mode/

IE7 in protected mode runs as a low-integrity process. It is restricted
to only writing to corresponding low-integrity locations where rights
are minimal (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...cted-mode.aspx).
The IE7 process has very low rights as does each child process it
spawns. If those doesn't work, post in a Vista newsgroup as those folks
are more likely to know what causes that limitation in IE. For some
info on the IE7+Vista protected mode, see:

So get your school to actually sign their own Active controls. That
they are lazy or ignorant is not an excuse. They should not be
proliferating unsigned Active downloads.
Rev Anderson

Re: Not able to use online school resorces
I am not trying to install anything to the schools server. IE7 tells me that
an Active X control is needed to be installed "ON MY COMPUTER" to be able to
use the training web page.

IE7 then tells me that the Active X control I need to install "ON MY
COMPUTER" is not signed and it quits back to the web page I was at, without
allowing the control to be installed to my computer.

I did not specify which Active X Security I enabled because I "Enabled" all
of them. That was when IE7 told me that my Security level was too low and
would not even allow me to use it to access the Internet. That's too much
"BIG BROTHER" for me.

FireFox accessed the schools server, prompted me to allow installation of
JRE and another plug-in, and installed whatever it needed to allow me to use
the training web pages.

You said "If they are unsigned, you shouldn't be accepting them." That
would exclude a LOT of websites, including Microsofts. If I know what the
websites are and allow the Active X to be installed on my computer, why would
IE7 or Vista stop me?

Since you admit "I don't use Vista so perhaps its added security is what is
generating the "Security settings are too low" error message." Your answer
does not apply. Vista is a whole new nightmare, just like XP was, when it
was first realeased.

Even Microsoft apps like WMP are still written for XP and are not fully
compatible with Vista yet.

Rev Anderson wrote:

> FireFox accessed the schools server, prompted me to allow installation
> of JRE and another plug-in, and installed whatever it needed to allow
> me to use the training web pages.

JRE is the Java Runtime Environment. Javascript is scripting that is
embedded in the web browser (i.e., Javascript is something supported
within the web browser and each browser vendor has their own different
Javascript engine). Java is a programming language for which you must
install an interpreter. That the site wants to download a Java applet
to your web browser means you will need to install the Java interpreter
(from Sun). That has nothing to do with ActiveX which is a different
scripting and interpreter unique to Microsoft and its Windows platforms
- unless that was the "other" plug-in (but then to install an ActiveX
plug-in means you also had to install the ActiveX handler add-on to
Firefox to reduce its security to support ActiveX components).

> You said "If they are unsigned, you shouldn't be accepting them." That
> would exclude a LOT of websites, including Microsofts.

You've seen unsigned ActiveX controls from Microsoft? I haven't seen
even one. It is very easy to add their own cert to their own ActiveX
downloads.

> If I know what the websites are and allow the Active X to be installed
> on my computer, why would IE7 or Vista stop me?

Has to do with UAC that I mentioned which is employed in Vista. It's
not in Windows XP so that added security doesn't interfere with XP
users. It is in Vista and enabled by default and it WILL get in your
way. Some users don't appreciate all the extra safety prompts from UAC
in Vista and will choose to disable it hence why I posted the URLs to
the articles that mention disabling UAC - but that'll be your choice to
reduce that safety measure.

> Since you admit "I don't use Vista so perhaps its added security is
> what is generating the "Security settings are too low" error
> message." Your answer does not apply. Vista is a whole new
> nightmare, just like XP was, when it was first realeased.

Not using an OS (as my production platform) doesn't mean that I cannot
read up on it or experiment with it in a virtual machine. So, do you
also believe that the article for which I provided URLs regarding UAC
are also full of **it? I referred to articles by others to support my
understanding of UAC - but of which I am not afflicted with under XP. I
also read Scientific American but I don't go pursuing PhDs in each
field in order to qualify my reading of those articles. Lots of info
can be found just by Googling, like using the error message, product
name, and OS that you already mentioned. Do your own Google search and
see what you come up with.

> Even Microsoft apps like WMP are still written for XP and are not
> fully compatible with Vista yet.

Now you're going off-topic. The "solution" was about disabling UAC to
get IE7 out of its protected mode so you could lower security
sufficiently to let you install unsigned AX control, not about what all
other old Windows fluffware that won't work fully in Vista. Did you
yet try disabling UAC or following the other suggestions on how to
disable protected mode for IE7 under Vista? If you really do want to
keep UAC enabled, then follow one of the other suggestions for
disabling protected mode for a particular site: add it to your
Trusted Sites security zone (which runs under less restrictions
because, well, those sites are trusted).
Rev Anderson

Re: Not able to use online school resorces
I had already disabled the UAC. During the initial installation, and
installation of multiple add-in's for those applications, the UAC was a real
hindrance. And, yes I did re-start the system to complete the disabling of
the UAC. After completing the installations I re-enabled the UAC and
re-started the system.

Even with the UAC disabled, IE7 would not allow installation of the Active
X. I have, since then, turned off all Security in IE7 and Vista. Installed
the Active X control needed and then turned all of the Security back on in
IE7 and Vista.

There was no attack or invasion of my system while doing that.

Rev Anderson wrote:

> Even with the UAC disabled, IE7 would not allow installation of the Active
> X. I have, since then, turned off all Security in IE7 and Vista. Installed
> the Active X control needed and then turned all of the Security back on in
> IE7 and Vista.

Then it probably would've also worked to place the problematic domain in
your Trusted Sites security zone which runs under less restrictions.
You turned off all security settings in the Internet security zone to
get the AX control installed. Well, the Trusted Sites security zone
already has all those same security settings disabled. In the future,
you might find other domains that you want to add to the Trusted Sites
security zone, like for your e-mail provider or workplace (if not using
VPN to connect to their network), or your own home computer (if you have
a domain for it) when remotely accessing it while traveling.