IE7 and Vista Ultimate will not load ASP

Rev Anderson

IE7 and Vista Ultimate will not load ASP
I am, once again, befuddled.

Why won't IE7 loaded on Vista Ultimate recognize and load Microsoft ASP???

I get the error message that the ASP extension does not have a file
association assigned.

How can that be, when it is a microsoft product for web pages????
--
Life is an adventure with God leading.
Daniel Crichton

Re: IE7 and Vista Ultimate will not load ASP
Rev wrote on Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:56:46 -0800:

> I am, once again, befuddled.

> Why won't IE7 loaded on Vista Ultimate recognize and load Microsoft
> ASP???

> I get the error message that the ASP extension does not have a file
> association assigned.

> How can that be, when it is a microsoft product for web pages????

ASP files need to run inside the ASP engine, so they need to be requested
via IIS or another web platform that supports IIS. Instead of opening the
ASP file directly off your hard disk you need to install IIS and make the
ASP files accessible via IIS (you will need to install the appropriate
options and also put the ASP files in the correct location depending on how
you configure it). Once you have IIS up and running and the ASP files in the
correct place you need to use http://localhost/<path to asp file> to
request them via IIS, and IIS will load them into the ASP script engine
where they will be processed.

This is not an IE issue, it's simply that you're trying to use an ASP file
in a way it isn't intended to be used.

--
Dan

Rev Anderson

Re: IE7 and Vista Ultimate will not load ASP
This was not something on my system. It was IE7 refusing to load ASP web
pages on the Internet from someone elses website.

It was a credit union online resource. The web page was supposed to open a
web page with the ".asp" extension. IE7 would not open the webpage and just
gave the error that that file format did not have an application associated
with it and wanted to search for an application to open it.

As far as I knew, the ".asp" extension is a Microsoft format and IE7 should
have been able to open it. Maybe the credit union programmer used the wrong
code or saved the web page with the wrong extension?
--

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> Rev wrote on Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:56:46 -0800:
>
> > I am, once again, befuddled.

> > Why won't IE7 loaded on Vista Ultimate recognize and load Microsoft
> > ASP???

> > I get the error message that the ASP extension does not have a file
> > association assigned.

> > How can that be, when it is a microsoft product for web pages????

> ASP files need to run inside the ASP engine, so they need to be requested
> via IIS or another web platform that supports IIS. Instead of opening the
> ASP file directly off your hard disk you need to install IIS and make the
> ASP files accessible via IIS (you will need to install the appropriate
> options and also put the ASP files in the correct location depending on how
> you configure it). Once you have IIS up and running and the ASP files in the
> correct place you need to use http://localhost/<path to asp file> to
> request them via IIS, and IIS will load them into the ASP script engine
> where they will be processed.
>
> This is not an IE issue, it's simply that you're trying to use an ASP file
> in a way it isn't intended to be used.
>
> --
> Dan

Daniel Crichton

Re: IE7 and Vista Ultimate will not load ASP
This sounds like their website is misconfigured, .asp files should not be
sent to the browser as they are server side coded pages (unless of course
the .asp file in question is intended to be downloaded for someone to use on
their own website).

IE7 is not to blame here. It doesn't know what to do with a .asp file - it's
not an extension that is configured by default for IE because it will never
open them normally (.asp is run on the server and content is returned that
IE can handle). Just because .asp is normally a Microsoft file extension
(although you can run .asp files on any web server that can process Active
Server Pages, for instance Apache with a plugin from Sun can do so) it
doesn't mean IE should be able to open it. The only Microsoft applications
that will normally handle the .asp extension by default are editors -
Microsoft FrontPage, Visual InterDev, Visual Studio, Web Developer Express.

I would suggest that you contact the owner of the site in question to inform
them of their mistake, as there's nothing you can do yourself to correct
this.

Dan