IE7 Password vulnerability

As a service provider I am getting enquiries from my customers as to the
safety of IE7 after them haviong heard the BBC reports. I have had no
information from Microsoft, I can find no information on the microsoft
website. I am alone and in the dark.

I am advising all customers to clear all browing history as a precaution and
to use firefox if they have any further concern. If we advise our customers
to not worry and they get attacked, we could be liable not Microsoft.

Is the BBC Lying?
Microsoft aren't refuting these claims yet they aren't agreeing either!

Where does this leave us... Vulnerable.

Juan Kerr

Re: IE7 Password vulnerability

<<ITman> wrote in message
> As a service provider I am getting enquiries from my customers as to the
> safety of IE7 after them haviong heard the BBC reports. I have had no
> information from Microsoft, I can find no information on the microsoft
> website. I am alone and in the dark.
>
> I am advising all customers to clear all browing history as a precaution
> and
> to use firefox if they have any further concern. If we advise our
> customers
> to not worry and they get attacked, we could be liable not Microsoft.
>
> Is the BBC Lying?
> Microsoft aren't refuting these claims yet they aren't agreeing either!
>
> Where does this leave us... Vulnerable.

You might want to read this before recommending Firefox....
(the list does not appear to include MS products)
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2304

"Juan Kerr" wrote:

> You might want to read this before recommending Firefox....
> (the list does not appear to include MS products)
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2304

Lol at 6 & 7
tbh I'm amazed to see Firefox come of so badly.

In 2008, Mozilla patched 10 vulnerabilities that could be used by remote
attackers to execute arbitrary code via buffer overflow, malformed URI links,
documents, JavaScript and third party tools.

I know IE7 has had many serious vulnerabilty patches this year, seemingly
more than 10 so I would cast suspicion on the accuracy of this report. Though
the severity is not wildy know.

Daniel Crichton

<ITman> wrote on Tue, 16 Dec 2008 02:49:00 -0800:

> As a service provider I am getting enquiries from my customers as to
> the safety of IE7 after them haviong heard the BBC reports. I have had
> no information from Microsoft, I can find no information on the
> microsoft website. I am alone and in the dark.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx

If ever in doubt in the future, go to the MS Security Bulletins and
Advisories page at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...s/default.mspx

--
Dan