RE: Internet Explorer security alert

Cogito

RE: Internet Explorer security alert
If this is a valid alert why is it not posted all over the nicrosoft website.
Jonno

"Cogito" wrote:

> If this is a valid alert why is it not posted all over the nicrosoft website.

Agreed. The warning on the BBC website and on BBC Radio is repeated word for
word in The Independent but not in other UK newspapers (eg Times, Telegraph,
Guardian). Nor is there anything in the New York Times. You'd think it would
be worth a mention.

The reports say "Microsoft said it is investigating the flaw and is
considering fixing it through an emergency software patch outside of its
normal monthly updates, but declined further comment. The company is telling
users to employ a series of complicated workarounds to minimise the threat. "
Well I'm a "user" & they ain't told me anything.

Maybe a pre-Christmas prankster fooled the BBC into believing this & the
so-called "Independent" reported it as fact?
Jonno

"Jonno" wrote:

> "Cogito" wrote:
>
> > If this is a valid alert why is it not posted all over the nicrosoft website.

> Agreed. The warning on the BBC website and on BBC Radio is repeated word for
> word in The Independent but not in other UK newspapers (eg Times, Telegraph,
> Guardian). Nor is there anything in the New York Times. You'd think it would
> be worth a mention.
>
> The reports say "Microsoft said it is investigating the flaw and is
> considering fixing it through an emergency software patch outside of its
> normal monthly updates, but declined further comment. The company is telling
> users to employ a series of complicated workarounds to minimise the threat. "
> Well I'm a "user" & they ain't told me anything.
>
> Maybe a pre-Christmas prankster fooled the BBC into believing this & the
> so-called "Independent" reported it as fact?

OK, I was wrong, it's a genuine alert (see other recent posts). But I'm not
impressed with Microsoft's advice to use a whole bunch of tweaks &
workarounds until a patch is issued. Staying with Firefox for now.