Do not use Internet Explorer..Warning

Lenie

Do not use Internet Explorer..Warning

Users of the world's most common web browser have been advised to switch to
another browser until a serious security flaw has been fixed.

The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take
control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts
say.

Microsoft is investigating the problem and preparing an emergency software
patch to resolve it, it says.

Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer
users.

Re: Do not use Internet Explorer..Warning
[Do not use Internet Explorer...] to go to risky, p0rn sites.

<QP>
Said [Rick] Ferguson [senior security advisor at Trend Micro]: "If users can
find an alternative browser, then that's good mitigation against the
threat."

But Microsoft counselled against taking such action.

"I cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw," said John Curran,
head of Microsoft UK's Windows group.

He added: "We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible.

"At present, this exploit only seems to affect 0.02% of internet sites,"
said Mr Curran. "In terms of vulnerability, it only seems to be affecting
IE7 [1] users at the moment, but could well encompass other versions in
time."
</QP>
Source: Ibid.

===========
[1] While this may have reflected MS's opinion when Mr. Curran was quoted,
the vulnerability affects all IE versions.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Lenie wrote:

> Users of the world's most common web browser have been advised to switch
> another browser until a serious security flaw has been fixed.
>
> The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take
> control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts
> say.
>
> Microsoft is investigating the problem and preparing an emergency software
> patch to resolve it, it says.
>
> Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer
> users.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: Do not use Internet Explorer..Warning
Let's hear it for FF as my default browser!!

:
: ===========
: [1] While this may have reflected MS's opinion when Mr. Curran was quoted,
: the vulnerability affects all IE versions.
: --
: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
: AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
: DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
:
: Lenie wrote:
: > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm
: >
: > Users of the world's most common web browser have been advised to switch
: > another browser until a serious security flaw has been fixed.
: >
: > The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take
: > control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet
experts
: > say.
: >
: > Microsoft is investigating the problem and preparing an emergency
software
: > patch to resolve it, it says.
: >
: > Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer
: > users.
:

Leonard Grey

Re: Do not use Internet Explorer..Warning
Not so fast, my friend...

"Firefox tops list of 12 most vulnerable apps"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2304

The p0rn industry really needs to come up with their own web browser...a
browser that's hardened against attack. ;-)

[P.S. Firefox is my default browser too.]
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:
> Let's hear it for FF as my default browser!!

> : [Do not use Internet Explorer...] to go to risky, p0rn sites.
> :
> : <QP>
> : Said [Rick] Ferguson [senior security advisor at Trend Micro]: "If users
> can
> : find an alternative browser, then that's good mitigation against the
> : threat."
> :
> : But Microsoft counselled against taking such action.
> :
> : "I cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw," said John Curran,
> : head of Microsoft UK's Windows group.
> :
> : He added: "We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible.
> :
> : "At present, this exploit only seems to affect 0.02% of internet sites,"
> : said Mr Curran. "In terms of vulnerability, it only seems to be affecting
> : IE7 [1] users at the moment, but could well encompass other versions in
> : time."
> : </QP>
> : Source: Ibid.
> :
> : ===========
> : [1] While this may have reflected MS's opinion when Mr. Curran was quoted,
> : the vulnerability affects all IE versions.
> : --
> : ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> : MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> : AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> : DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> :
> : Lenie wrote:
> : > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm
> : >
> : > Users of the world's most common web browser have been advised to switch
> : > another browser until a serious security flaw has been fixed.
> : >
> : > The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take
> : > control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet
> experts
> : > say.
> : >
> : > Microsoft is investigating the problem and preparing an emergency
> software
> : > patch to resolve it, it says.
> : >
> : > Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer
> : > users.
> :

Re: Do not use Internet Explorer..Warning
Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for December 2008:
<QP>
This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
Microsoft is intending to release on December 17, 2008.
</QP>
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-dec.mspx