RE: Cannot save favorites

HTMLi

RE: Cannot save favorites
bit_smart, I understand your error message about the favorites w/out
additional info because I was having the same issue. Gordon has the solution
to your problem if your a computer guru who knows how to use the command
prompt.

Thank you Gordon, you solved my issue.

Unfortunately, like Spirit, not everyone knows how to use the command prompt
or even how to get there, and they need the info in laymans terms.

Let's see if I can walk you through it in a way that anyone can do it.

1st: you need to know where your favorites folder is. In Window Explorer,
right click your "Favorites" folder and click on properties. On the General
tab, it will say "Location:" and then where your Favorites folder is. Write
down this info because you will need it. For me it reads; "Location:
D:\David's Files" so this is what I will use in this walk through. (if you
noticed, my drive says D: drive and not C: drive where Windows Vista is
installed. I move my documents, download, pictures, music, favorites, etc.
folders to a different drive than Windows just in case I have to reinstall
Windows. This saves time because I don't have to move that info. I just
reinstall Windows and point those folders to the location on D: drive and the
info is there. But this is another story...)

2nd: Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator. The easiest way to do this
to make sure that you have administrator rights is to create a shortcut on
your desktop. Right click on an open space on your desktop, goto "New" and a
drop down menu will appear. Click on "Shortcut" In the "Type location of the
item: " box, type: CMD Then click Next and then Finish on the next screen.
It will place a shortcut on your desktop that has a black box with a "C:\ _"
in it. Right click on this shortcut. Then click Properties. In the window
that pops up click on the "Advanced" button. Check mark the box for "Run as
administrator" and hit OK. and then OK again on the Properties box. Double
click this shortcut and the "User Account Control" will come up asking for
your permission. Click continue and you've opened a Command Prompt with
Administrator rights.

3rd: You need to get to the directory that has your Favorites folder. In my
command prompt screen it has "C:\Windows\system32>" with a blinking
underscore. Yours will be similar. Now you need to go to the directory that
has your Favorites folder (you got this info in the first step). At the
command prompt you need to type: cd /d (your favorites file location) and
then hit enter. For me it would look like this: C:\Windows\system32>cd /d
D:\David's Files and then I would hit enter.

4th: The command prompt will now be in the directory that contains your
Favorites folder. For me it would look like this: D:\David's Files> with a
blinking underscore. Now type the information that Gordon gave us:
icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low
or you can highlight it, right click on the highlight, then click copy. In
the command prompt, right click the blinking underscore and then click paste.
Once you've done that, hit enter.

The whole command prompt should read something like this:

C:\Windows\system32>cd /d David's Files

D:\David's Files>icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low
processed file: favorites
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

D:\David's Files>

If it does, your done. You can close the window by hitting the X in the
upper right hand corner. You should now be able to save webpages to your
Favorites folder again.

Sorry bit_smart, I don't know the answer to your other error, but I hope
this helps you and any other person with the same problem.

"bit_smart" wrote:

> I receive an unspecifed error message when trying to save my favorites. How
> can I get this rectified. Also, I get error 0000142 from schedtask.exe when I
> log off or shutdown.

RE: Cannot save favorites
I followed your steps and when I entered "icacls favorites /setintegritylevel
(OI)(CI)low" I get this error:
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

At the command prompt mine looked like this "C:\Windows\system32>cd /d
Z:\Favorites"

Any suggestions?

"HTMLi" wrote:

> [...]
> Once you've done that, hit enter.
>
> The whole command prompt should read something like this:
>
> C:\Windows\system32>cd /d David's Files
>
> D:\David's Files>icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low
> processed file: favorites
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>
> D:\David's Files>
>
> If it does, your done. You can close the window by hitting the X in the
> upper right hand corner. You should now be able to save webpages to your
> Favorites folder again.
>
> Sorry bit_smart, I don't know the answer to your other error, but I hope
> this helps you and any other person with the same problem.
>
> "bit_smart" wrote:
>
> > I receive an unspecifed error message when trying to save my favorites. How
> > can I get this rectified. Also, I get error 0000142 from schedtask.exe when I

HTMLi

RE: Cannot save favorites
I had this problem too until I realized I wanted "icacls favorites
/setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low" applied to my Favorites folder instead of in
it. The command is looking for your Favorites folder but since I'm sure you
don't have a Favorites folder in your Favorites folder it can't find it.

My Favorites folder is in the folder David's Files, your Favorites folder
appears to be in Z:\

So you need to do this: When you open the command prompt it will have
"C:\Windows\system32>" Type: "cd /d Z:" (obviously without the quotes)

You should then see: Z:\> with a blinking underscore. At this type or cut
and paste the "icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low"

Your whole command prompt should read something like this:

C:\Windows\system32>cd /d Z:

Z:\>icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low
processed file: favorites
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Z:\>

Let me know if this works. The command should be able to find your Favorites
file and apply the settings.

David "HTMLi"