move favorites location

How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
I have Vista and IE7.

According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
changes are kept on a restart.

Colton

Re: move favorites location
J,

In order to move your Favorites folder, you will need to open your Internet Explorer.
The example listed below is for Internet Explorer 7:

1) Click on "Tools" in your toolbar, located on the right side.
2) Search for "Internet Options", and then click on it.
3) In the "General" tab, do the following:
a) Search for "Browsing History", which should be the 2nd box from the top.
b) Click "Settings"
c) Search for "Move Folder...", and click.
d) Select the folder on your computer where you would like the files to be saved, click "OK".
4) Click "OK", again..
5) You should be back at "Internet Options", click "Apply"
6) Click "OK", and the dialog should close.

If you followed this correctly, congradulations. You've changed your temporary folder.

--

Colton, PHP/VB6/HTML/CSS/Javscript/IIS/Apache
OS: Vista Home Premium x86 SP1

- http://explosion.debug-inc.com
- educability@gmail.com
- AIM: Trouncing

*Please include that you recieved my contact information from the newsgroup, or your message will be ignored.

"J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsB88F572-4745-4E8A-A933-61D25D324684@microsoft.com...
> How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
> I have Vista and IE7.
>
> According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
> correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
> I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
> changes are kept on a restart.

Re: move favorites location
That is to move the temp folder.

"Colton" wrote:

> J,
>
> In order to move your Favorites folder, you will need to open your Internet Explorer.
> The example listed below is for Internet Explorer 7:
>
> 1) Click on "Tools" in your toolbar, located on the right side.
> 2) Search for "Internet Options", and then click on it.
> 3) In the "General" tab, do the following:
> a) Search for "Browsing History", which should be the 2nd box from the top.
> b) Click "Settings"
> c) Search for "Move Folder...", and click.
> d) Select the folder on your computer where you would like the files to be saved, click "OK".
> 4) Click "OK", again..
> 5) You should be back at "Internet Options", click "Apply"
> 6) Click "OK", and the dialog should close.
>

> If you followed this correctly, congradulations. You've changed your temporary folder.
>
> --
>
> Colton, PHP/VB6/HTML/CSS/Javscript/IIS/Apache
> OS: Vista Home Premium x86 SP1
> Location: NC, USA
>
> - http://explosion.debug-inc.com
> - educability@gmail.com
> - AIM: Trouncing
>
> *Please include that you recieved my contact information from the newsgroup, or your message will be ignored.
>

> "J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsB88F572-4745-4E8A-A933-61D25D324684@microsoft.com...
> > How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
> > I have Vista and IE7.
> >
> > According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
> > correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
> > I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
> > changes are kept on a restart.

Colton

Re: move favorites location
Sorry. Misread the question. You are unable to change the location of your Favorites folder without recoding Internet
Explorer to your liking, or downloading a 3rd party program (which may or may not work) to do it for you, possibly harming
your computer. As far as IE itself, there is no option in IE7 that allows you to change it. Sorry to burst your bubble.

--

"J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3E86660-8BA9-4A2A-AB11-58C3D9EEA159@microsoft.com...
> That is to move the temp folder.
>
> "Colton" wrote:
>
>> J,
>>
>> In order to move your Favorites folder, you will need to open your Internet Explorer.
>> The example listed below is for Internet Explorer 7:
>>
>> 1) Click on "Tools" in your toolbar, located on the right side.
>> 2) Search for "Internet Options", and then click on it.
>> 3) In the "General" tab, do the following:
>> a) Search for "Browsing History", which should be the 2nd box from the top.
>> b) Click "Settings"
>> c) Search for "Move Folder...", and click.
>> d) Select the folder on your computer where you would like the files to be saved, click "OK".
>> 4) Click "OK", again..
>> 5) You should be back at "Internet Options", click "Apply"
>> 6) Click "OK", and the dialog should close.
>>

>> If you followed this correctly, congradulations. You've changed your temporary folder.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Colton, PHP/VB6/HTML/CSS/Javscript/IIS/Apache
>> OS: Vista Home Premium x86 SP1
>> Location: NC, USA
>>
>> - http://explosion.debug-inc.com
>> - educability@gmail.com
>> - AIM: Trouncing
>>
>> *Please include that you recieved my contact information from the newsgroup, or your message will be ignored.
>>

>> "J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsB88F572-4745-4E8A-A933-61D25D324684@microsoft.com...
>> > How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
>> > I have Vista and IE7.
>> >
>> > According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
>> > correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
>> > I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
>> > changes are kept on a restart.

Re: move favorites location
Is Windows installed on C: drive or Z: drive?

J wrote:
> How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
> I have Vista and IE7.
>
> According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
> correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
> I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
> changes are kept on a restart.

Re: move favorites location
Windows is on the C: Drive

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Windows installed on C: drive or Z: drive?
>
> J wrote:
> > How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
> > I have Vista and IE7.
> >
> > According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
> > correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
> > I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
> > changes are kept on a restart.

HTMLi

Re: move favorites location
J, I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it's what I do to change
the folders like Documents, Download, Music, Picture, Favorites, etc. that
Windows sets up for each user.

I move them to another drive in case I have to reinstall Windows. I just
point the files of the new install to these locations and the information is
all there. I load Windows (and only Windows and drivers) on C: drive and load
all my programs and place all my documents, emails and the like on my D:
drive.

The way I do it is in Windows Explorer. I create a new folder in my D: drive
and name it: Favorites

Then I go to the folder that Vista had already set up as Favorites (it
blue-ish green with a star peeking out as opposed to the normal yellow
folders) and I right click on it. Then click properties. On the "General"
tab, it will list the directory location of the folder (for me it says:
D:\David's Files). On the "Location" tab, it will have the specific directory
and file for the location (for me it says: D:\David's Files\Favorites). Click
on the "Move" button and a Windows Explorer window pops up. Navigate to the
location of the "Favorites" folder you created on your "D:" (perhaps Z: for
you), click on the folder to highlight it and then click on the "Select
Folder" button at the bottom. Then click "Apply" or "OK" buttons on the
Favorites Properties window. It will probably ask you if you want to move the
entire contents of the folder, tell it yes.

You have changed the location of your Favorites forlder. IE 7 will now save
your favorites to this folder.

As a side note, sometimes changing the location of the Favorites folder will
bring up an "unknown error" when you try to save a webpage in IE to your
Favorites folder. For the walk through solution to this, read my post in the
"Cannot save favorites" under HTMLi. I had this issue and fixed it. You can
find the post here:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a-8d793bfe6ac5

I hope this helps you.

David

"J" wrote:

> Windows is on the C: Drive
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Is Windows installed on C: drive or Z: drive?
> >
> > J wrote:
> > > How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
> > > I have Vista and IE7.
> > >
> > > According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
> > > correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
> > > I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
> > > changes are kept on a restart.

Re: move favorites location
What's on Z: drive then? Did you attempt to move Favorites via a Reg hack
because you're having problems with Windows on C: drive?

J wrote:
> Windows is on the C: Drive
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Is Windows installed on C: drive or Z: drive?
>>
>> J wrote:
>>> How can I change where the Favorites are stored?
>>> I have Vista and IE7.
>>>
>>> According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
>>> correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.
>>> I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
>>> changes are kept on a restart.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: move favorites location

"J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsB88F572-4745-4E8A-A933-61D25D324684@microsoft.com...
> How can I change where the Favorites are stored?

Drag-move the folder somewhere else. Note in order to update the
registry value correctly the drag must be a *move*, not a copy.
E.g. press Shift- while dragging for moving folders on the same volume.

> I have Vista and IE7.
>
> According to regedit they are in Z:/Favorites..... I dont think that is
> correct because I lose any now ones everytime I restart my PC.

A better check is to Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

shell:Favorites

and read the path in the Address bar.

> I have/need them on the Z: Drive due to I keep my C: Drive frozen so no
> changes are kept on a restart.

Make sure that you aren't confusing your user Favorites
with AllUser Favorites? Otherwise I don't know how you could be
seeing something updated on one occasion but not on another...
In fact, one way would be if your Z: drive is a temporary copy
of another. You could use ProcMon to trace how Favorites
are really being used if necessary. Mostly, I suspect you haven't
given us enough details to give you a better guess to explain what
you are seeing.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: move favorites location
I have all my data on the Z: Drive...(e.g. documents, oulook data, antivirus
program, Quicken) I have Quicken and my antivirus on this drive so any
updates are not lost during a restart due to my C: Drive being frozen.