Internet Explorer

Roland Wales

Internet Explorer
I would like to make a helpful comment regarding the behavior of drop down
data windows in Internet Explorer. I am a touch typist, and, like many
others in my category, I find it is often more productive to type than it is
to click on the mouse and fish through a list of items to select the right
one. Microsoft Access has a very effective tool for drop downs called “combo
boxes”. This control has the same mouse behavior as other drop downs, but it
also allows the user to type the field in. Internet Explorer only allows
typing the first character of the field. This is like an Access “list box”.
Why are combo boxes better for touch typists? I’m glad you asked. Let’s say
a drop down represents a hypothetical list of domains, and I want to select
MSN. Typing is fast and effective, if I type the letters M,S, and N, I’m
done (with a combo box, at least). With a list box, I have two choices:
Type the letter M until I see MSN, which could be a lot of Ms, or take my
hand off the keyboard, put it on the mouse, fish for MSN, then return my hand
to the keyboard. Which method is more effective? For a touch typist, it is
no contest.

Here is my suggestion: I realized you can’t change the existing behavior of
drop downs in IE. Instead, how about adding a user preference? Let’s call
it “drop down box behavior”, and have two choices, list box or combo box
(Using Access terminology). Those of us who are touch typists could select
the latter without impacting any existing functionality.

I conclusion, I’d like to ask that you make this enhancement to Internet
Explorer. Please, take us who are touch typists out of drop down box prison,
and free us to be productive at the keyboard.

Thank you.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Explorer

"Roland Wales" <Roland Wales@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96D23638-ACB8-479F-91E0-11897BA3B70F@microsoft.com...
>I would like to make a helpful comment regarding the behavior of drop down
> data windows in Internet Explorer. I am a touch typist, and, like many
> others in my category, I find it is often more productive to type than it is
> to click on the mouse and fish through a list of items to select the right
> one. Microsoft Access has a very effective tool for drop downs called "combo
> boxes". This control has the same mouse behavior as other drop downs, but it
> also allows the user to type the field in. Internet Explorer only allows
> typing the first character of the field. This is like an Access "list box".
> Why are combo boxes better for touch typists? I'm glad you asked. Let's say
> a drop down represents a hypothetical list of domains, and I want to select
> MSN. Typing is fast and effective, if I type the letters M,S, and N, I'm
> done (with a combo box, at least).

> With a list box, I have two choices:
> Type the letter M until I see MSN, which could be a lot of Ms, or take my
> hand off the keyboard, put it on the mouse, fish for MSN, then return my hand
> to the keyboard.

Actually you have more than that. If you type fast enough you can get
a better match. E.g. for your example, type MS really quickly. ; )
Also, if MSN is near the bottom of a lot of M's even if you couldn't
type MSN you might find that typing N (or whatever you had that came
first after M) and then using CursorUp would be faster.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---