Problems getting IE 7 to Install

Loring Hutchinson

Problems getting IE 7 to Install
Somehow or other My Inteernet Explorer got wiped out. I downloaded the
IE7 and tried to install it on my system, but when I go to the listing
of programs in my system via Control Panel/Add & remove programs there
is no listing for IE7. The download seems to be working OK.
I am running Win XP Home Edition.

Any suggestions?????

TIA Loringh

Re: Problems getting IE 7 to Install
What does IE "got wiped out" mean?

Is *Windows* Internet Explorer 7 listed in Add/Remove Programs?

What does IE Help | About report as your IE version?

Loring Hutchinson wrote:
> Somehow or other My Inteernet Explorer got wiped out. I downloaded the
> IE7 and tried to install it on my system, but when I go to the listing
> of programs in my system via Control Panel/Add & remove programs there
> is no listing for IE7. The download seems to be working OK.
> I am running Win XP Home Edition.
>
> Any suggestions?????
>
> TIA Loringh

Loring Hutchinson

Re: Problems getting IE 7 to Install
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:11:41 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>What does IE "got wiped out" mean?

One day it was there and working and the next day it would not work

>Is *Windows* Internet Explorer 7 listed in Add/Remove Programs?

"Windows" Internet Explorer 7 is listed in the add/remove programs
Dummy me I just looked for Internet explorer rather than Windows
Internet Explorer. It is an older version Judging by the size of the
folder compared to the new downloaded version of IE
Should I remove the old one before I try toinstall the newer version I
downloaded?

>What does IE Help | About report as your IE version?

Where do I find this???

Thanks for the assistance!!!!

Loring H

>Loring Hutchinson wrote:
>> Somehow or other My Inteernet Explorer got wiped out. I downloaded the
>> IE7 and tried to install it on my system, but when I go to the listing
>> of programs in my system via Control Panel/Add & remove programs there
>> is no listing for IE7. The download seems to be working OK.
>> I am running Win XP Home Edition.
>>
>> Any suggestions?????
>>
>> TIA Loringh

Re: Problems getting IE 7 to Install
Define "would not work," please (e.g., IE7 won't open; keep getting "Page
cannot be displayed" errors).

CrystalBallİ sez...

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Loring Hutchinson wrote:
>> What does IE "got wiped out" mean?

> One day it was there and working and the next day it would not work
>>
>> Is *Windows* Internet Explorer 7 listed in Add/Remove Programs?

> "Windows" Internet Explorer 7 is listed in the add/remove programs
> Dummy me I just looked for Internet explorer rather than Windows
> Internet Explorer. It is an older version Judging by the size of the
> folder compared to the new downloaded version of IE
> Should I remove the old one before I try toinstall the newer version I
> downloaded?
>>
>> What does IE Help | About report as your IE version?

> Where do I find this???
>
> Thanks for the assistance!!!!
>
>> Loring Hutchinson wrote:
>>> Somehow or other My Inteernet Explorer got wiped out. I downloaded the
>>> IE7 and tried to install it on my system, but when I go to the listing
>>> of programs in my system via Control Panel/Add & remove programs there
>>> is no listing for IE7. The download seems to be working OK.
>>> I am running Win XP Home Edition.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?????
>>>
>>> TIA Loringh

Loring Hutchinson

Re: Problems getting IE 7 to Install
By "would not work" I meant that when I clicked on the IE desktop icon
nothing happened. Even now when I click the icon I get "Internet
Explorer cannot display the webpage". I will follow the steps you have
outlined from "CrystalBall and see what I can do.

I downloaded a current version of IE 7 from the Microsoft web page.
I assume I should remove the older version of IE using the add/remove
feature of the control panel before I install the new version of IE.

Thanks again Loring

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:04:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Define "would not work," please (e.g., IE7 won't open; keep getting "Page
>cannot be displayed" errors).
>
>CrystalBallİ sez...
>
>Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
>Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
>If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
>following:
>
>1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
>real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
>Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
>guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
>Windows Firewall.
>
>NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
>browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
>application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
>may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
>2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)"
>via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
>and reboot.
>
>3. Re-do #1 above.
>
>4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
>offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
>Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
>enhanced security.
>
>5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
>applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
>third-party firewall.

Re: Problems getting IE 7 to Install
Getting the "...cannot display webpage" error isn't nothing happening when
opening IE7.

Do my 5-step fix before even thinking about uninstalling/reinstalling IE7
(I'll give you step-by-step instructions for that, too, if need be).

Loring Hutchinson wrote:
> By "would not work" I meant that when I clicked on the IE desktop icon
> nothing happened. Even now when I click the icon I get "Internet
> Explorer cannot display the webpage". I will follow the steps you have
> outlined from "CrystalBall and see what I can do.
>
> I downloaded a current version of IE 7 from the Microsoft web page.
> I assume I should remove the older version of IE using the add/remove
> feature of the control panel before I install the new version of IE.
>
> Thanks again Loring
>
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:04:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Define "would not work," please (e.g., IE7 won't open; keep getting "Page
>> cannot be displayed" errors).
>>
>> CrystalBallİ sez...
>>
>> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
>> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>>
>> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
>> following:
>>
>> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
>> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
>> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
>> guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
>> Windows Firewall.
>>
>> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
>> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
>> anti-virus application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free
>> firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>>
>> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)"
>> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
>> right) and reboot.
>>
>> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>>
>> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
>> Updates offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is
>> listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
>> advantage
>> of IE7's enhanced security.
>>
>> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
>> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
>> third-party firewall.

Loring Hutchinson

Re: Problems getting IE 7 to Install
Step 2 of the 5 step fix says "Uninstall "Security update for windows
Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215) etc.. etc
I do not have that item listed on my add/remove program listing>
The only thing I have listed in this category is "Security update for
Windiws Media Excoder KB954156"
What now??????

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:19:25 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Getting the "...cannot display webpage" error isn't nothing happening when
>opening IE7.
>
>Do my 5-step fix before even thinking about uninstalling/reinstalling IE7
>(I'll give you step-by-step instructions for that, too, if need be).
>
>Loring Hutchinson wrote:
>> By "would not work" I meant that when I clicked on the IE desktop icon
>> nothing happened. Even now when I click the icon I get "Internet
>> Explorer cannot display the webpage". I will follow the steps you have
>> outlined from "CrystalBall and see what I can do.
>>
>> I downloaded a current version of IE 7 from the Microsoft web page.
>> I assume I should remove the older version of IE using the add/remove
>> feature of the control panel before I install the new version of IE.
>>
>> Thanks again Loring
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:04:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Define "would not work," please (e.g., IE7 won't open; keep getting "Page
>>> cannot be displayed" errors).
>>>
>>> CrystalBallİ sez...
>>>
>>> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
>>> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>>>
>>> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
>>> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
>>> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
>>> guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
>>> Windows Firewall.
>>>
>>> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
>>> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
>>> anti-virus application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free
>>> firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>>>
>>> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)"
>>> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
>>> right) and reboot.
>>>
>>> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>>>
>>> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
>>> Updates offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is
>>> listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
>>> advantage
>>> of IE7's enhanced security.
>>>
>>> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
>>> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
>>> third-party firewall.

Re: Problems getting IE 7 to Install
[Please stop snipping the previous posts in your replies, Loring.]

> Step 2 of the 5 step fix says "Uninstall "Security update for windows
> Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215) etc.. etc
> I do not have that item listed on my add/remove program listing

Nevermind then.

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

If the behavior does NOT persist now, STOP HERE and reply to this message.
(Quote the entire post.)
==
2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

If the behavior does NOT persist now, STOP HERE and reply to this message.
(Quote the entire post.)
==
3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

If the behavior DOES persist, STOP HERE and reply to this message. (Quote
the entire post.)
==
4. Assuming IE6's working OK, the follow is required reading IMHO before
reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
--
~PA Bear