internet explorer 7.0

gmoll2004@aol.com

internet explorer 7.0
12-15-2008 yesterday I got a call from my mother. it appeares that her
internet quit working on thursday 12- 12- 08. She has a compaq hp media
center pc desktop running xp oprating system . when she shut off her cimputer
on 12-11-2008 she had recieved an automatic update which instructed her not
to turn off her computer that it would turn itself off. this she complied
with.The next day all she could access was her e-mail; She had no access to
any websites. When I arrived on Saturday I found that her Internet explorer
7.0 had ceased to function. it displayed the message "unable to display the
website" no matter what website was input. I found her AOL software to be
funcional and went to microsoft downloads and downloaded internet explorer 7
again and installed to no avail. after some configuraton changes I finally
gave in and restored her computer to Wendsday 12-10-2008 and this action
brought her roadrunner back to operation. Today I checked my computer to see
if my interenet explorer worked and found it also to be nonfunctional and
displaying the same message "unable to display the website". after restoring
to 12-10-2008 with no results I was finally able to restore functionallity by
going back to 12-07-08. I am using an HP HP media center pc desktop.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: internet explorer 7.0

"gmoll2004@aol.com" <gmoll2004@aol.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 12-15-2008 yesterday I got a call from my mother. it appeares that her
> internet quit working on thursday 12- 12- 08. She has a compaq hp media
> center pc desktop running xp oprating system . when she shut off her cimputer
> on 12-11-2008 she had recieved an automatic update which instructed her not
> to turn off her computer that it would turn itself off. this she complied
> with.The next day all she could access was her e-mail; She had no access to
> any websites. When I arrived on Saturday I found that her Internet explorer
> 7.0 had ceased to function. it displayed the message "unable to display the
> website" no matter what website was input. I found her AOL software to be
> funcional and went to microsoft downloads and downloaded internet explorer 7
> again and installed to no avail. after some configuraton changes I finally
> gave in and restored her computer to Wendsday 12-10-2008 and this action
> brought her roadrunner back to operation. Today I checked my computer to see
> if my interenet explorer worked and found it also to be nonfunctional and
> displaying the same message "unable to display the website". after restoring
> to 12-10-2008 with no results I was finally able to restore functionallity by
> going back to 12-07-08. I am using an HP HP media center pc desktop.

That's often a symptom of blocking by a misconfigured firewall.
E.g. iexplore.exe gets updated, therefore is no longer an "approved"
app and permission to open external HTTP connections ceases.

---

Re: internet explorer 7.0
Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. WinXP: Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
(KB958215)" via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked
at top right) and reboot.

**Vista: Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
(KB958215)" via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed
updates and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. WinXP: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is listed
in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

**Vista: Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates
offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gmoll2004@aol.com wrote:
> 12-15-2008 yesterday I got a call from my mother. it appeares that her
> internet quit working on thursday 12- 12- 08. She has a compaq hp media
> center pc desktop running xp oprating system . when she shut off her
> cimputer on 12-11-2008 she had recieved an automatic update which
> instructed her not to turn off her computer that it would turn itself off.
> this she complied with.The next day all she could access was her e-mail;
> She had no access to any websites. When I arrived on Saturday I found that
> her Internet explorer
> 7.0 had ceased to function. it displayed the message "unable to display
> the
> website" no matter what website was input. I found her AOL software to be
> funcional and went to microsoft downloads and downloaded internet explorer
> 7
> again and installed to no avail. after some configuraton changes I
> finally
> gave in and restored her computer to Wendsday 12-10-2008 and this action
> brought her roadrunner back to operation. Today I checked my computer to
> see
> if my interenet explorer worked and found it also to be nonfunctional and
> displaying the same message "unable to display the website". after
> restoring to 12-10-2008 with no results I was finally able to restore
> functionallity by going back to 12-07-08. I am using an HP HP media
> center
> pc desktop.

RStowe

Re: internet explorer 7.0
The same thing has been happening with me.
Running Home XP, IE 7 with updates, and Norton Internet Security.
This is a relative new problem. Have been dealing with it for about 1 month.
Currently have 23 updates to install.