IE7 - Scroll Wheel no longer works?

Bill Cohagan

IE7 - Scroll Wheel no longer works?
A couple of days ago IE7 stopped reacting to mouse scrolls. Other apps work
fine. In fact if I go into the Tools.InternetOptions.Advanced tab in IE7, I'm
able to scroll the tree control without problems.

So, what is it that would cause just IE to stop scrolling in response to the
mouse wheel movement?

TIA,
Bill

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 - Scroll Wheel no longer works?
Your mouse software?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bill Cohagan wrote:
> A couple of days ago IE7 stopped reacting to mouse scrolls. Other apps work
> fine. In fact if I go into the Tools.InternetOptions.Advanced tab in IE7, I'm
> able to scroll the tree control without problems.
>
> So, what is it that would cause just IE to stop scrolling in response to the
> mouse wheel movement?
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Robert Aldwinckle

"Bill Cohagan" <BillCohagan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3806A3D-5DD9-4767-9408-FA3E54E437AB@microsoft.com...
>A couple of days ago IE7 stopped reacting to mouse scrolls. Other apps work
> fine. In fact if I go into the Tools.InternetOptions.Advanced tab in IE7, I'm
> able to scroll the tree control without problems.
>

> So, what is it that would cause just IE to stop scrolling in response to the
> mouse wheel movement?

Be more precise perhaps? E.g., where is the pointer when you do this?

BTW is "mouse wheel movement" the same thing as Autoscroll (started
by Middleclick?) FWIW my Trackball can do that with that pane.
I just have to be careful I'm not positioned over a link when I start it.
Another option I have is to set a drag-lock while positioned over the slider
in that scrollbar. That works too. So it really depends on what the
implementation of your "mouse wheel movement" is.

Related to the Autoscroll function I have noticed that it is getting more
difficult lately finding a convenient place and usable place to start it.
E.g. you can't be positioned over a link and you have to be positioned
within a component which is scrollable. That is sometimes hard to find.
So moving my pointer and trying to find a workable spot can be a bit
inconvenient in some cases.

> TIA,
> Bill

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Bill Cohagan

Re: IE7 - Scroll Wheel no longer works?
Leonard
Thanks for the suggetion; however since IE is the only app having problems
I doubt it's the mouse driver. Also, see my new post for additional info.

Bill

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Your mouse software?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Bill Cohagan wrote:
> > A couple of days ago IE7 stopped reacting to mouse scrolls. Other apps work
> > fine. In fact if I go into the Tools.InternetOptions.Advanced tab in IE7, I'm
> > able to scroll the tree control without problems.
> >
> > So, what is it that would cause just IE to stop scrolling in response to the
> > mouse wheel movement?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Bill

Bill Cohagan

Re: IE7 - Scroll Wheel no longer works?
Robert
The mouse cursor can be anywhere in the IE client window and moving the
mouse wheel had no effect; i.e., the view would not scroll. I also verified
that the window had focus. But see my new posting on this.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Bill Cohagan" <BillCohagan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3806A3D-5DD9-4767-9408-FA3E54E437AB@microsoft.com...
> >A couple of days ago IE7 stopped reacting to mouse scrolls. Other apps work
> > fine. In fact if I go into the Tools.InternetOptions.Advanced tab in IE7, I'm
> > able to scroll the tree control without problems.
> >

> > So, what is it that would cause just IE to stop scrolling in response to the
> > mouse wheel movement?

> Be more precise perhaps? E.g., where is the pointer when you do this?
>
> BTW is "mouse wheel movement" the same thing as Autoscroll (started
> by Middleclick?) FWIW my Trackball can do that with that pane.
> I just have to be careful I'm not positioned over a link when I start it.
> Another option I have is to set a drag-lock while positioned over the slider
> in that scrollbar. That works too. So it really depends on what the
> implementation of your "mouse wheel movement" is.
>
> Related to the Autoscroll function I have noticed that it is getting more
> difficult lately finding a convenient place and usable place to start it.
> E.g. you can't be positioned over a link and you have to be positioned
> within a component which is scrollable. That is sometimes hard to find.
> So moving my pointer and trying to find a workable spot can be a bit
> inconvenient in some cases.
>

> > TIA,
> > Bill
> >

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Bill Cohagan

RE: IE7 - Scroll Wheel no longer works?
This problem appears to have been a transient problem as the mouse wheel
function has returned to normal and I'm able to scroll the IE7 window.

My current guess is that it was fixed either by rebooting or by reseating
the laptop in its docking station.

I'll continue this thread should the problem return, but for now all is well.

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions.

Bill