IE 7 Java Script Errors

George

IE 7 Java Script Errors
I am receiving various java script errors (java 6 update 7) when I open up a
web site. Examples include runtime error syntax, access is denied, no object
found, etc...

I have read various threads on the web site to fix java errors. I looking
for a simple way to resolve my issues. One suggestion was to reinstall IE7.
I do not want to do this. Is the best wayto uninstall the current release of
java, and re-install the new version?

Thanks. George
VanguardLH

Re: IE 7 Java Script Errors
George wrote:

> I am receiving various java script errors (java 6 update 7)

And just what might those errors be? Got some specifics to work with?

> when I open up a web site.

"a web site". And which one might that be?

> Examples include runtime error syntax, access is denied, no object
> found, etc...

Trying to resolve general errors that occur over a period of time on
various web sites for different scripts which might be Javascripts or
Java applets is not possible. Got a particular case to look at?

> I have read various threads on the web site to fix java errors. I looking
> for a simple way to resolve my issues. One suggestion was to reinstall IE7.
> I do not want to do this.

Possible other solutions:
- Purge the temp file cache for your web browser.
- Reset IE7.
- Run IE7 in its no add-ons mode.

> Is the best wayto uninstall the current release of
> java, and re-install the new version?

It is highly unlikely that the Java interpreter is causing the problem.
More likely there is bad code in the script and is something the web
site owner will have to address. It is also possible that the code
author wrote their Java program to utilize a particular version of a
Java interpreter that you do not have installed. In most cases, users
can simply uninstall all versions of the Java Runtime Environment
interpreter and just download and install the latest version. However,
sometimes functions or methods will change or are altered so that an
older version of the Java interpreter is required. Backwards
compatibility with old code in new versions of the Java interpreter is
not 100%. If the web site author is using code that requires an old
version interpreter, prod them to update their code so users can run
their scripts using the latest version of the Java interpreter.

> Thanks. George

Javascript is an interpreter already built into your web browser. Java
is a programming language for which an interpreter must be installed on
your host. Javascript and Java are NOT the same thing.

"java 6 update 7" refers to the Java programming language and its
interpreters. You didn't provide an example web site where you see the
errors. With your confusion between Javascript and Java programs (often
called applets) and no example web site, it is unknown if the problem is
with bad Javascript running inside your web browser for a web site or a
bad Java applet that got downloaded to your host to run from there.

Do not mention a vague inference to an error message. Do not truncate
the error message. Do not describe the error message. Show the error
message in its entirety. Having the context also helps, like for which
web page the problem crops up. No web browser can fix coding errors at
the web site. For those, you will need to complain to the web site's
owner/author. You could try running IE7 in its no add-ons mode to
ensure one of those that you installed isn't causing the problem. You
could also try resetting IE7 back to its defaults (Tools -> Options ->
Advanced Options).

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Internet Explorer 7 Solution Center
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/8722
C A Upsdell

Re: IE 7 Java Script Errors
George wrote:
> I am receiving various java script errors (java 6 update 7) when I open up a
> web site. Examples include runtime error syntax, access is denied, no object
> found, etc...
>
> I have read various threads on the web site to fix java errors. I looking
> for a simple way to resolve my issues. One suggestion was to reinstall IE7.
> I do not want to do this. Is the best wayto uninstall the current release of
> java, and re-install the new version?

The latest version of Java is version 6 update 11. Changes were made in
it which can break existing sites. The first logical step is to install
the newest version and see what happens.

Caution: I had a Java 6u11 install fail on me catastrophically, with no
error messages to indicate a problem in the installation. Keep the
install file until you know it completed okay, just in case you have to
do it over again.
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE 7 Java Script Errors
"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am receiving various java script errors (java 6 update 7) when I open up
> web site. Examples include runtime error syntax, access is denied, no
> object
> found, etc...
>
> I have read various threads on the web site to fix java errors. I looking
> for a simple way to resolve my issues. One suggestion was to reinstall
> IE7.
> I do not want to do this. Is the best wayto uninstall the current release
> of
> java, and re-install the new version?
>
> Thanks. George

Java or JavaScript?