IE 7 Tabbing problem

Norm

IE 7 Tabbing problem
I have just started using IE7 on a Vista Ultimate latop. I have moved my own
homepage from my XP IE6 laptop. This homepage consists of a bunch of icons
with my favorite urls so that by clciking on one it brings up that website.
When I try to do this on IE 7 it opens a brand new IE 7 window intead of a
new tab on the current window. I want it to either open the website in a new
tab or in the current IE7 window. I get a message that says websites in
different security zone must open another copy of IE7. I do not see a
security value to this and would prefer to have a new tab open on the current
IE7 window or just bring up the website on the current tab replacing my
homepage. It seems to think my homepage is a different security zone. This
homepage is from a folder in a documents folder that has gifs and an htm.
How can I make IE 7 tabs behave the way I want?
--
Norm
Toronto, Canada

Re: IE 7 Tabbing problem
How links on your custom "homepage" open is controlled by your settings
here: IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Tabs | Settings.

> ...I get a message that says websites in
> different security zone must open another copy of IE7. I do not see a
> security value to this

Then you should've stuck with WinXP. What you're seeing is default behavior
in Vista with UAC and Protected Mode enabled. There is an amazing amount of
security value in this behavior, Norm, whether you understand it or not.

Tell Santa to bring you this book:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Win.../9780470101551
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Norm wrote:
> I have just started using IE7 on a Vista Ultimate latop. I have moved my
> own
> homepage from my XP IE6 laptop. This homepage consists of a bunch of icons
> with my favorite urls so that by clciking on one it brings up that
> website.
> When I try to do this on IE 7 it opens a brand new IE 7 window intead of a
> new tab on the current window. I want it to either open the website in a
> new
> tab or in the current IE7 window. I get a message that says websites in
> different security zone must open another copy of IE7. I do not see a
> security value to this and would prefer to have a new tab open on the
> current IE7 window or just bring up the website on the current tab
> replacing my homepage. It seems to think my homepage is a different
> security zone. This homepage is from a folder in a documents folder that
> has gifs and an htm. How can I make IE 7 tabs behave the way I want?

normu2008@gmail.com

Re: IE 7 Tabbing problem
On Dec 14, 12:01*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How links on your custom "homepage" open is controlled by your settings
> here: IE Tools | Internet Options | General | Tabs | Settings.
>
> > ...I get a message that says websites in
> > different security zone must open another copy of IE7. I do not see a
> > security value to this

> Then you should've stuck with WinXP. *What you're seeing is default behavior
> in Vista with UAC and Protected Mode enabled. *There is an amazing amount of
> security value in this behavior, Norm, whether you understand it or not.
>
> Tell Santa to bring you this book:http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Win.../Jesper-M-Joha...
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/
>

> Norm wrote:
> > I have just started using IE7 on a Vista Ultimate latop. I have moved my
> > own
> > homepage from my XP IE6 laptop. This homepage consists of a bunch of icons
> > with my favorite urls so that by clciking on one it brings up that
> > website.
> > When I try to do this on IE 7 it opens a brand new IE 7 window intead of a
> > new tab on the current window. I want it to either open the website in a
> > new
> > tab or in the current IE7 window. I get a message that says websites in
> > different security zone must open another copy of IE7. I do not see a
> > security value to this and would prefer to have a new tab open on the
> > current IE7 window or just bring up the website on the current tab
> > replacing my homepage. It seems to think my homepage is a different
> > security zone. This homepage is from a folder in a documents folder that
> > has gifs and an htm. How can I make IE 7 tabs behave the way I want?- Hide quoted text -

Sorry for the second post but I am unable to log in to the original
Windows Vista Community and I was able to log in the the MS Discussion
group, when I double clicked on on your response there I ended up in
Google groups which I can log into. I am fairly competent with PCs but
I find the windows discussions very confusing to use. When I log into
the Vista community It accepts my login but then the sign in icon is
still there and when I click reply nothing happens.
I will take your word that the default behaviour of IE 7 tabbing has a
security benefit so re my original post. If I type www.cnn.com in the
address line of a new tab of IE7 the website wil open in that tab.
If I bring up my home page and click on an icon with hyperlinlk
properties of www.cnn.com IE7 will open a new winodw. Since it is the
same website I believe there must be a simple way to to change
something so that clicking on icons with hyperlink properties they
will open in the same or a new tab.
I appreciate any help you can give me on this, Thanks