IE 7 problems

kim

IE 7 problems
I am using IE 7 and Windows Vista. Since the windows update was installed on
my computer on 12/10, IE 7 has not been working correctly. Everytime I go to
a website and try to purchase an item, I receive an error message saying,
"please activate cookies". I changed the IE security settings in the tool
menu, deleted all temp files and cookies files, performed a system restore,
verified system date and time, and nothing seems to be helping. Can anyone
help me? I am getting frustrated... Thanks.

Re: IE 7 problems
Let's say you're wanting to purchase an item at amazon.com:

IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type...

amazon.com

and Allow cookies.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machine?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

kim wrote:
> I am using IE 7 and Windows Vista. Since the windows update was installed
> on my computer on 12/10, IE 7 has not been working correctly. Everytime I
> go to a website and try to purchase an item, I receive an error message
> saying, "please activate cookies". I changed the IE security settings in
> the tool menu, deleted all temp files and cookies files, performed a
> system
> restore, verified system date and time, and nothing seems to be helping.
> Can anyone help me? I am getting frustrated... Thanks.

kim

Re: IE 7 problems
Hello,
I went into IE Tools and re-adjusted many options including IE tools -
Internet Options - Privacy - Sites - and added the appropriate website and I
had no luck. I also tried the Privacy - Advanced - checked off the override
cookie handling checkbox and still no luck.

I am running Norton 360 and all of the virus definition files are updated.
Norton's firewall and phising settings are activated through the program. I
am also running Suzie Orman Identity Theft program, but this program has been
running since the beginning of the year and I did not have any problems until
after I installed the windows update on 12/10.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Let's say you're wanting to purchase an item at amazon.com:
>
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type...
>
> amazon.com
>
> and Allow cookies.

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machine?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> kim wrote:
> > I am using IE 7 and Windows Vista. Since the windows update was installed
> > on my computer on 12/10, IE 7 has not been working correctly. Everytime I
> > go to a website and try to purchase an item, I receive an error message
> > saying, "please activate cookies". I changed the IE security settings in
> > the tool menu, deleted all temp files and cookies files, performed a
> > system
> > restore, verified system date and time, and nothing seems to be helping.
> > Can anyone help me? I am getting frustrated... Thanks.

Re: IE 7 problems
Are you running Norton 360 2009? Did you upgrade from an earlier Norton
application (e.g., N360 2008; NIS 2007)?

Was a Norton application preinstalled on your machine when you bought it?
--
~PA Bear

kim wrote:
> Hello,
> I went into IE Tools and re-adjusted many options including IE tools -
> Internet Options - Privacy - Sites - and added the appropriate website and
> had no luck. I also tried the Privacy - Advanced - checked off the
> override
> cookie handling checkbox and still no luck.
>
> I am running Norton 360 and all of the virus definition files are updated.
> Norton's firewall and phising settings are activated through the program.
> am also running Suzie Orman Identity Theft program, but this program has
> been running since the beginning of the year and I did not have any
> problems until after I installed the windows update on 12/10.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Let's say you're wanting to purchase an item at amazon.com:
>>
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type...
>>
>> amazon.com
>>
>> and Allow cookies.

>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machine?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> kim wrote:
>>> I am using IE 7 and Windows Vista. Since the windows update was
>>> installed
>>> on my computer on 12/10, IE 7 has not been working correctly. Everytime
>>> go to a website and try to purchase an item, I receive an error message
>>> saying, "please activate cookies". I changed the IE security settings
>>> in
>>> the tool menu, deleted all temp files and cookies files, performed a
>>> system
>>> restore, verified system date and time, and nothing seems to be helping.
>>> Can anyone help me? I am getting frustrated... Thanks.

kim

Re: IE 7 problems
I am running norton 360 ver 2.5. I bought this program brand new in the
beginning of this year. When I bought my new computer in March, I only had
Windows Vista installed on it. I purchased and installed Norton 360 and
Microsoft Office.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running Norton 360 2009? Did you upgrade from an earlier Norton
> application (e.g., N360 2008; NIS 2007)?
>
> Was a Norton application preinstalled on your machine when you bought it?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> kim wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I went into IE Tools and re-adjusted many options including IE tools -
> > Internet Options - Privacy - Sites - and added the appropriate website and
> > had no luck. I also tried the Privacy - Advanced - checked off the
> > override
> > cookie handling checkbox and still no luck.
> >
> > I am running Norton 360 and all of the virus definition files are updated.
> > Norton's firewall and phising settings are activated through the program.
> > am also running Suzie Orman Identity Theft program, but this program has
> > been running since the beginning of the year and I did not have any
> > problems until after I installed the windows update on 12/10.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Let's say you're wanting to purchase an item at amazon.com:
> >>
> >> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type...
> >>
> >> amazon.com
> >>
> >> and Allow cookies.
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machine?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE 7 problems
You would have installed N360 2008 in March 2008. Have you recently
upgraded to N360 2009?

=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode?

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
~PA Bear

kim wrote:
> I am running norton 360 ver 2.5. I bought this program brand new in the
> beginning of this year. When I bought my new computer in March, I only
> had
> Windows Vista installed on it. I purchased and installed Norton 360 and
> Microsoft Office.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you running Norton 360 2009? Did you upgrade from an earlier Norton
>> application (e.g., N360 2008; NIS 2007)?
>>
>> Was a Norton application preinstalled on your machine when you bought it?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> kim wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I went into IE Tools and re-adjusted many options including IE tools -
>>> Internet Options - Privacy - Sites - and added the appropriate website
>>> and
>>> had no luck. I also tried the Privacy - Advanced - checked off the
>>> override
>>> cookie handling checkbox and still no luck.
>>>
>>> I am running Norton 360 and all of the virus definition files are
>>> updated.
>>> Norton's firewall and phising settings are activated through the
>>> program.
>>> am also running Suzie Orman Identity Theft program, but this program has
>>> been running since the beginning of the year and I did not have any
>>> problems until after I installed the windows update on 12/10.

kim

Re: IE 7 problems
no I haven't upgrade Norton to 2009. Do you recommend it? Also, I heard
that it is advisible to switch to another browser because there is a major
flaw with the ie security, so I may switch to firefox.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You would have installed N360 2008 in March 2008. Have you recently
> upgraded to N360 2009?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~PA Bear
>
> kim wrote:
> > I am running norton 360 ver 2.5. I bought this program brand new in the
> > beginning of this year. When I bought my new computer in March, I only
> > had
> > Windows Vista installed on it. I purchased and installed Norton 360 and
> > Microsoft Office.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Are you running Norton 360 2009? Did you upgrade from an earlier Norton
> >> application (e.g., N360 2008; NIS 2007)?
> >>
> >> Was a Norton application preinstalled on your machine when you bought it?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: IE 7 problems
> no I haven't upgrade Norton to 2009. Do you recommend it?

No, I do not.

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps I listed?

kim wrote:
> no I haven't upgrade Norton to 2009. Do you recommend it? Also, I heard
> that it is advisible to switch to another browser because there is a major
> flaw with the ie security, so I may switch to firefox.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You would have installed N360 2008 in March 2008. Have you recently
>> upgraded to N360 2009?
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode?
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> kim wrote:
>>> I am running norton 360 ver 2.5. I bought this program brand new in the
>>> beginning of this year. When I bought my new computer in March, I only
>>> had
>>> Windows Vista installed on it. I purchased and installed Norton 360 and
>>> Microsoft Office.

kim

Re: IE 7 problems
What are some troubleshooting steps you recommend? First, I was going to
download the patch for the security flaw or do you think I should try to
resolve this problem first?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > no I haven't upgrade Norton to 2009. Do you recommend it?

> No, I do not.
>
> Have you tried the troubleshooting steps I listed?
>
> kim wrote:
> > no I haven't upgrade Norton to 2009. Do you recommend it? Also, I heard
> > that it is advisible to switch to another browser because there is a major
> > flaw with the ie security, so I may switch to firefox.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You would have installed N360 2008 in March 2008. Have you recently
> >> upgraded to N360 2009?
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode?
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: IE 7 problems
Repost: