IE 7 java and link problems

Doug

IE 7 java and link problems
I've been having some problems with getting java applications to open or work
properly with IE 7,and even trying to open new windows when clicking on
buttons in pages, even with Microsoft's pages. I had to use Firefox to get
this window to open up because I was unable to do it with IE 7. What usually
happens is the title bar will fade out and back in again, but nothing will
open. other times I keep clicking on an icon to open a window and nothing
happens. I have checked my java settings and all seems okay. I even tried
the new IE 8 beta, and it went further than IE 7, but still had some issues.
I figured because it was still a beta program though; uninstalled it and went
back to IE 7.

I'm using Windows XP with the third patch, which was added after IE 7,
because I have automatic updates turned on on my pc.

I do a lot of work from home and this really creates a problem for me. I
also do a lot of school work from home and I can't get into some pages or
take my exams. Firefox is not compatible with some of the other pages, so I
need IE to work.

May we all find joy in our lives
Doug

RE: IE 7 java and link problems
I want to add more information to this thread. I use PC-cillin anti virus
software, Have google as my search provider. I have also tried to run IE 7
with add-ons turned off; but get the same results. I also deleted IE 7 and
tried to use IE 6 which didn't help aany, then went back and downloaded IE 7.
--

"Doug" wrote:

> I've been having some problems with getting java applications to open or work
> properly with IE 7,and even trying to open new windows when clicking on
> buttons in pages, even with Microsoft's pages. I had to use Firefox to get
> this window to open up because I was unable to do it with IE 7. What usually
> happens is the title bar will fade out and back in again, but nothing will
> open. other times I keep clicking on an icon to open a window and nothing
> happens. I have checked my java settings and all seems okay. I even tried
> the new IE 8 beta, and it went further than IE 7, but still had some issues.
> I figured because it was still a beta program though; uninstalled it and went
> back to IE 7.
>
> I'm using Windows XP with the third patch, which was added after IE 7,
> because I have automatic updates turned on on my pc.
>
> I do a lot of work from home and this really creates a problem for me. I
> also do a lot of school work from home and I can't get into some pages or
> take my exams. Firefox is not compatible with some of the other pages, so I
> need IE to work.

> May we all find joy in our lives

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 7 java and link problems

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89596F8A-266A-48BA-BEDC-D159229F6107@microsoft.com...

That header shows that you are using the MS Communities
web interface to newsgroups to post with but we don't know
what portal you are using. You would have to post the URL
showing in your Address bar for us to know that.

> I've been having some problems with getting java applications to open or work
> properly with IE 7,and even trying to open new windows when clicking on
> buttons in pages, even with Microsoft's pages.

> I had to use Firefox to get this window to open up because I was unable to do it with IE 7.

Be more precise. There is no Java in the implementation of the
Communities web interface to newsgroups. There is only JavaScript
which is a completely different language.

> What usually
> happens is the title bar will fade out and back in again, but nothing will
> open. other times I keep clicking on an icon to open a window and nothing
> happens.

Are you logged in with a Live ID when this happens?
Otherwise a possible explanation for what you are seeing is that
you have a misconfigured ad stopper active which is suppressing
the login prompt. Try using the Sign In button first.
Use this URL so it's clearer what you are doing.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

If necessary, with the Sign In button on the above page you could
right-click, Copy Shortcut and then paste that into the Address bar
to see if you still have problems using that web page to post from.
Also, to be more precise about what to do after you get logged in
try using the New button, e.g. press Alt-M,Enter and tell us what you see.

Take note of all changes to your IE window components when you are
making your symptom description. E.g. Status bar, Title bar, Tab label,
Address bar, as well as display area.

So far, nothing that you have described makes me suspect you have
a problem with scripting let alone your Java support. The usual cause
is third-party programs, such as popup or ad blockers, interfering
with the normal operation of that web app.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89596F8A-266A-48BA-BEDC-D159229F6107@microsoft.com...

> That header shows that you are using the MS Communities
> web interface to newsgroups to post with but we don't know
> what portal you are using. You would have to post the URL
> showing in your Address bar for us to know that.

I'm not really sure about this, but this is the URL that shows in my
adddress bar:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=us

> > I've been having some problems with getting java applications to open or work
> > properly with IE 7,and even trying to open new windows when clicking on
> > buttons in pages, even with Microsoft's pages.

> > I had to use Firefox to get this window to open up because I was unable to do it with IE 7.

> Be more precise. There is no Java in the implementation of the
> Communities web interface to newsgroups. There is only JavaScript
> which is a completely different language.

My mistake on this, then it most likeky is the JavaScript. I managed to
get in here with IE 7 after turning the Add-ons off. But it is still not
working properly. It took several attempts to get on here.

> > What usually
> > happens is the title bar will fade out and back in again, but nothing will
> > open. other times I keep clicking on an icon to open a window and nothing
> > happens.

> Are you logged in with a Live ID when this happens?
> Otherwise a possible explanation for what you are seeing is that
> you have a misconfigured ad stopper active which is suppressing
> the login prompt. Try using the Sign In button first.
> Use this URL so it's clearer what you are doing.

I am logged in on my Live ID at the moment and was before too, except I had
Add-ons enabled.

> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>
> If necessary, with the Sign In button on the above page you could
> right-click, Copy Shortcut and then paste that into the Address bar
> to see if you still have problems using that web page to post from.
> Also, to be more precise about what to do after you get logged in
> try using the New button, e.g. press Alt-M,Enter and tell us what you see.
>
> Take note of all changes to your IE window components when you are
> making your symptom description. E.g. Status bar, Title bar, Tab label,
> Address bar, as well as display area.
>
> So far, nothing that you have described makes me suspect you have
> a problem with scripting let alone your Java support. The usual cause
> is third-party programs, such as popup or ad blockers, interfering
> with the normal operation of that web app.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Normally, when I am trying to open some windows, nothing will happen at all
except the title bar will fade and return, but the address bar stays the
same. I do have a google bar and veho tech for viewing movies online. I
will try to uninstall them and download them again. I prefer using IE 7 over
Firefox, much easier to work with.

"Doug" wrote:

> [...]

> same. I do have a google bar and veho tech for viewing movies online. I
> will try to uninstall them and download them again. I prefer using IE 7 over
> Firefox, much easier to work with.
> >
> > > I have checked my java settings and all seems okay. I even tried
> > > the new IE 8 beta, and it went further than IE 7, but still had some issues.
> > > I figured because it was still a beta program though; uninstalled it and went
> > > back to IE 7.
> > >
> > > I'm using Windows XP with the third patch, which was added after IE 7,
> > > because I have automatic updates turned on on my pc.
> > >
> > > I do a lot of work from home and this really creates a problem for me. I
> > > also do a lot of school work from home and I can't get into some pages or
> > > take my exams. Firefox is not compatible with some of the other pages, so I
> > > need IE to work.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Problem solved!!!