Internet Explore will not bring up any sites but MSN still works?

Pendo

Internet Explore will not bring up any sites but MSN still works?
After recent MS updates, and installing Nortons Antivirus (not internet
security), an old laptop that was working fine refuses to bring up any sites.
The diagnostic tool says "error 12029" and " could not make http connection".
Windows fire wall is on but i dont recall it being on before the updates ran.
Whenever i try to load a site, the url has everyhting but the site name
greyed out. (eg: for http://www.google.com.au/ , everything is greywed
outexcept the word google)
Any suggestions out there? Thanks
--
Pendo
Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explore will not bring up any sites but MSN still works?
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

It sounds like you've installed IE8- still in Beta testing.
See "domain highlighting" at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...abid=2&catid=1
What's the IE version in IE> Help> About?

If you *have8 installed IE8 Beta, I would uninstall it. IE7 should return-
you will not have to install/reinstall IE7.

Does the problem persist after uninstalling IE8 Beta?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Pendo" <Pendo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After recent MS updates, and installing Nortons Antivirus (not internet
> security), an old laptop that was working fine refuses to bring up any

sites.
> The diagnostic tool says "error 12029" and " could not make http

connection".
> Windows fire wall is on but i dont recall it being on before the updates

ran.
> Whenever i try to load a site, the url has everyhting but the site name
> greyed out. (eg: for http://www.google.com.au/ , everything is greywed
> outexcept the word google)
> Any suggestions out there? Thanks
>
> Pendo

Re: Internet Explore will not bring up any sites but MSN still works?
Uninstall IE8 Beta 2.

Pendo wrote:
> After recent MS updates, and installing Nortons Antivirus (not internet
> security), an old laptop that was working fine refuses to bring up any
> sites. The diagnostic tool says "error 12029" and " could not make http
> connection". Windows fire wall is on but i dont recall it being on before
> the updates ran. Whenever i try to load a site, the url has everyhting but
> the site name greyed out. (eg: for http://www.google.com.au/ , everything
> is greywed outexcept the word google)
> Any suggestions out there? Thanks

Pendo

Re: Internet Explore will not bring up any sites but MSN still wor
Thank you for replying. When this problem started i had IE6, so i tried 7 and
8 trying to find a solution. After uninstalling 8 & rebooting, the problem
still persists. I am running XP.
--
Pendo

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> It sounds like you've installed IE8- still in Beta testing.
> See "domain highlighting" at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...abid=2&catid=1
> What's the IE version in IE> Help> About?
>
> If you *have8 installed IE8 Beta, I would uninstall it. IE7 should return-
> you will not have to install/reinstall IE7.
>
> Does the problem persist after uninstalling IE8 Beta?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Pendo" <Pendo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After recent MS updates, and installing Nortons Antivirus (not internet
> > security), an old laptop that was working fine refuses to bring up any

> sites.
> > The diagnostic tool says "error 12029" and " could not make http

> connection".
> > Windows fire wall is on but i dont recall it being on before the updates

> ran.
> > Whenever i try to load a site, the url has everyhting but the site name
> > greyed out. (eg: for http://www.google.com.au/ , everything is greywed
> > outexcept the word google)
> > Any suggestions out there? Thanks
> >
> > Pendo

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explore will not bring up any sites but MSN still wor
Hi,
Try uninstalling/reinstalling IE7. Antivirus/antispyware programs should be
disabled when installing.

Follow other advice at
Installation tips - IE7: http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

If XP SP3 was installed after IE7 it will have to be uninstalled before
uninstalling IE7.
Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7: http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

> Thank you for replying. When this problem started i had IE6, so i tried 7

and
> 8 trying to find a solution. After uninstalling 8 & rebooting, the problem
> still persists. I am running XP.
>
> Pendo

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Windows XP or Vista?
> >
> > It sounds like you've installed IE8- still in Beta testing.
> > See "domain highlighting" at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...abid=2&catid=1
> > What's the IE version in IE> Help> About?
> >
> > If you *have8 installed IE8 Beta, I would uninstall it. IE7 should

return-
> > you will not have to install/reinstall IE7.
> >
> > Does the problem persist after uninstalling IE8 Beta?
> >

> > "Pendo" <Pendo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > After recent MS updates, and installing Nortons Antivirus (not

internet
> > > security), an old laptop that was working fine refuses to bring up any

> > sites.
> > > The diagnostic tool says "error 12029" and " could not make http

> > connection".
> > > Windows fire wall is on but i dont recall it being on before the

updates
> > ran.
> > > Whenever i try to load a site, the url has everyhting but the site

name
> > > greyed out. (eg: for http://www.google.com.au/ , everything is greywed
> > > outexcept the word google)
> > > Any suggestions out there? Thanks
> > >
> > > Pendo

Pendo

Re: Internet Explore will not bring up any sites but MSN still wor
Thanks Don, all fixed. Removed AV, turned off windows firewall, loaded a
different AV and works fine now.

Regards
--
Pendo