Internet Explorer constantly crashing

Crystal89

Internet Explorer constantly crashing
Why is that Internet Explorer, as of the last few months, has repeatedly
crashed before even reaching the home page? I have lost several important
documents on behalf of my university and other people, and I find this
problem extremely annoying - please do something about it in your next update.

Often, there are no other windows open when this problem occurs, and the
details of my version are that it is 7.0.6001.18000, on Windows home Vista.

Thanks
Jim

Re: Internet Explorer constantly crashing

"Crystal89" <Crystal89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC5B5189-76B6-43C1-A3C6-9C6C9BF4A19F@microsoft.com...
> Why is that Internet Explorer, as of the last few months, has repeatedly
> crashed before even reaching the home page? I have lost several important
> documents on behalf of my university and other people, and I find this
> problem extremely annoying - please do something about it in your next
> update.
>
> Often, there are no other windows open when this problem occurs, and the
> details of my version are that it is 7.0.6001.18000, on Windows home
> Vista.
>
> Thanks

You misunderstand the operation of this newsgroup. It is populated, for the
most part, by volunteers who do not work for Microsoft. The meer fact that
it is hosted on a Microsoft server does not make this a conduit to
Microsoft.

You left out quite a few details about your computer. In particular whether
it is Vista SP1 or not and whether all patches have been installed
(especially those relating to IE7).
Another thing that is absolutely necessary is the error code and the
associated information. Without that, we are all just guessing.

Jim

Crystal89

Re: Internet Explorer constantly crashing
Sorry about that, I misunderstood the point of the forum.
Seeing as it was what I found when I clicked 'send feedback' (which lead to
a vague site where there was nowhere to send feedback) I thought this was the
right place.

There is never an error code, I just find myself having to open the task
manager and closing/restarting IE, because it just freezes. What patches are
available to IE7 on Vista? and how should I go about answering your 'SP1'
question?

"Jim" wrote:

> "Crystal89" <Crystal89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC5B5189-76B6-43C1-A3C6-9C6C9BF4A19F@microsoft.com...
> > Why is that Internet Explorer, as of the last few months, has repeatedly
> > crashed before even reaching the home page? I have lost several important
> > documents on behalf of my university and other people, and I find this
> > problem extremely annoying - please do something about it in your next
> > update.
> >
> > Often, there are no other windows open when this problem occurs, and the
> > details of my version are that it is 7.0.6001.18000, on Windows home
> > Vista.
> >
> > Thanks

> You misunderstand the operation of this newsgroup. It is populated, for the
> most part, by volunteers who do not work for Microsoft. The meer fact that
> it is hosted on a Microsoft server does not make this a conduit to
> Microsoft.
>
> You left out quite a few details about your computer. In particular whether
> it is Vista SP1 or not and whether all patches have been installed
> (especially those relating to IE7).
> Another thing that is absolutely necessary is the error code and the
> associated information. Without that, we are all just guessing.
>
> Jim

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Internet Explorer constantly crashing
"Crystal89" <Crystal89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC5B5189-76B6-43C1-A3C6-9C6C9BF4A19F@microsoft.com...
> Why is that Internet Explorer, as of the last few months, has repeatedly
> crashed before even reaching the home page? I have lost several important
> documents on behalf of my university and other people, and I find this
> problem extremely annoying - please do something about it in your next
> update.
>
> Often, there are no other windows open when this problem occurs, and the
> details of my version are that it is 7.0.6001.18000, on Windows home
> Vista.
>
> Thanks

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Re: Internet Explorer constantly crashing
You're going to have to do something about it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> Sorry about that, I misunderstood the point of the forum.
> Seeing as it was what I found when I clicked 'send feedback' (which lead
> a vague site where there was nowhere to send feedback) I thought this was
> the
> right place.
>
> There is never an error code, I just find myself having to open the task
> manager and closing/restarting IE, because it just freezes. What patches
> are
> available to IE7 on Vista? and how should I go about answering your 'SP1'
> question?
>

> "Jim" wrote:
>

>> "Crystal89" <Crystal89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsC5B5189-76B6-43C1-A3C6-9C6C9BF4A19F@microsoft.com...
>> > Why is that Internet Explorer, as of the last few months, has
>> > repeatedly
>> > crashed before even reaching the home page? I have lost several
>> > important
>> > documents on behalf of my university and other people, and I find this
>> > problem extremely annoying - please do something about it in your next
>> > update.
>> >
>> > Often, there are no other windows open when this problem occurs, and
>> > the
>> > details of my version are that it is 7.0.6001.18000, on Windows home
>> > Vista.
>> >
>> > Thanks

>> You misunderstand the operation of this newsgroup. It is populated, for
>> the
>> most part, by volunteers who do not work for Microsoft. The meer fact
>> that
>> it is hosted on a Microsoft server does not make this a conduit to
>> Microsoft.
>>
>> You left out quite a few details about your computer. In particular
>> whether
>> it is Vista SP1 or not and whether all patches have been installed
>> (especially those relating to IE7).
>> Another thing that is absolutely necessary is the error code and the
>> associated information. Without that, we are all just guessing.
>>
>> Jim

SP1 means Service Pack #1. It is the first of many such things which
consolidate the rather small updates for various specific problems. If you
have not installed this service pack, do not do so until after you have made
a thorough check for malware as described by PA Bear. In fact, do not
install any updates to a system that is the least bit questionable with
respect to malware. There is a high likelyhood of making things worse (much
worse).
Jim

SYoung

Re: Internet Explorer constantly crashing
I have a similar problem. I just finished installing Windows Vista Ultimate
64 Build 6001. Every time I open Internet Explorer and browse away from
msn.com, I get an error with the following information

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 7.0.6001.1800
Application Timestamp: 4791889a
Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.6001.1800
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791941c
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 00596f80
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.25.1
Locale ID: 1033

Here's the list of items under the "Uninstall or change program" on my PC
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
ATI Catalyst Install Manager
Host OpenAL (ADI)
Marvell Miniport Driver
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) -I did not install this.
SoundMAX

"SYoung" <SYoung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

SYoung

Re: Internet Explorer constantly crashing
Frank,

Thanks for the reply. My problem was fixed by removing the Adobe Flash and
> [...]

> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
> of.
>
> You might also try the steps here:
> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

SYoung

Re: Internet Explorer constantly crashing
Spoke too soon. I'm still experiencing the same problem. I'm uninstalling
MS Vista Ultimate 64