IE7 stopped working after MS udpate

IWantXPBack

IE7 stopped working after MS udpate
IE7 on Vista.

I recently did a MS update, but didn't look to see what was being updated.

When I tried to start IE7 it crashed immediately with the message:

"Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop
working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
solution is available."

When I click "Close Program" I get a "Data Execution Prevention" message.

I'm running Norton Internet Security 2009. I have been using IE7 only to
test pages I'm developing. I use Firefox or Chrome to do any non-testing
surfing.

I just checked through the control panel and the homepage settings haven't
changed. I switched the default homepage to about:blank and I'm still having
the problem.

Did MS screw itself again?

Re: IE7 stopped working after MS udpate
[Crossposted ot Windows Update newsgroup]

> Did MS screw itself again?

No, Symantec screwed you (again).

While fiddling with your Norton Firewall settings may resolve the problem
(cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818), I'd recommend proceeding as
follows instead:

1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key for NIS 2009,
uninstall all Norton software (including LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons)
via Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a program (or Control Panel |
Programs and Features, if using Classic view).

2. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except for #4 thru #7!

3. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed updates and
reboot.

4. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
(i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced
security. Follow all prompts.

5. Using your Product ID, reinstall NIS 2009 & reboot.

6. Make certain that the Windows Firewall is disabled and the Norton
firewall is enabled.

7. Run (Norton) LiveUpdate manually & repeatedly until you get a "No more
updates available" prompt.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

IWantXPBack wrote:
> IE7 on Vista.
>
> I recently did a MS update, but didn't look to see what was being updated.
>
> When I tried to start IE7 it crashed immediately with the message:
>
> "Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to
> stop
> working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
> solution is available."
>
> When I click "Close Program" I get a "Data Execution Prevention" message.
>
> I'm running Norton Internet Security 2009. I have been using IE7 only to
> test pages I'm developing. I use Firefox or Chrome to do any non-testing
> surfing.
>
> I just checked through the control panel and the homepage settings haven't
> changed. I switched the default homepage to about:blank and I'm still
> having
> the problem.
>
> Did MS screw itself again?

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 stopped working after MS udpate
Hi,
Check for a troublesome browser add-on.
For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

- - - -
Does the problem persist if NIS 2009 is disabled? NIS may be having a
problem with one of the updates you installed.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]