Download JavaScript to client machine

Radek Bokuvka

Download JavaScript to client machine
Dear Microsoft Support,

I am a member of an automation team in one software company. We are
responsible for preparing automation scripts to verify our products. Since we
test web applications, our scripts must support various browsers such as IE
or FF. We are facing one really annoying issue now. Our web pages include a
lot of JavaScript functions. Hence it takes some time to download all
JavaScript files to client machine.

We use QuickTest Professional (QTP) tool to develop our automation.
Unfortunately, this tool doesn’t work as we expect. The tool cannot recognize
whether or not a requested page is downloaded completely. From user
perspective, the page seems to be downloaded successfully. There are
displayed all labels, pictures, links and other controls on the page. When I
check IE status bar, there is usually displayed ‘Done’ text. However, it
doesn’t mean that all JavaScript files were downloaded completely. IE
downloads remaining JavaScript files in background.

Current behavior causes a lot of troubles with our automation. For example,
QTP returns information that some requested page was downloaded (rendered)
successfully. Then I click on some link on that page. IE browser raises a
JavaScript error due to missing JavaScript function. This error appears
because the link triggers some JavaScript function. JavaScript file with
required function was not downloaded yet on client when I clicked on the link.

We are forced to use some delays to avoid this unpredictable behavior. This
solution has a disadvantage. Required delay depends on current network
traffic. So our automation fails randomly due to this issue. We don’t want to
use huge timeouts since it depreciate our automation. I have not found any
solution yet. I don’t know how to verify that the page was downloaded
completely.

To be honest, we are facing this issue in FF as well.

It is really nice that all browsers have cool design. However, we would
appreciate adding such functionality that allows automation staff writing
better scripts. We must ensure that our products work in various browsers.
From our perspective, we don’t need to test browser features.

I would like to ask you if there is any possibility how to verify that some
web page was downloaded completely – including all JavaScript files? Does IE
browser provide any variable that can be checked? As I mentioned above, I
cannot verify IE status bar. This feature would be highly valuable for use.
It would allow us to prepare better automation.

Yours sincerely,

Radek Bokuvka
QA Engineer
Monster Technologies Prague
Vaclavske namesti 11
110 00 Praha 1 | Czech Republic
radek.bokuvka@monster.com

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Download JavaScript to client machine

"Radek Bokuvka" <Radek Bokuvka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Microsoft Support,
>
> I am a member of an automation team in one software company. We are
> responsible for preparing automation scripts to verify our products. Since we
> test web applications, our scripts must support various browsers such as IE
> or FF. We are facing one really annoying issue now. Our web pages include a
> lot of JavaScript functions. Hence it takes some time to download all
> JavaScript files to client machine.
>
> We use QuickTest Professional (QTP) tool to develop our automation.
> Unfortunately, this tool doesn't work as we expect. The tool cannot recognize
> whether or not a requested page is downloaded completely. From user
> perspective, the page seems to be downloaded successfully. There are
> displayed all labels, pictures, links and other controls on the page. When I
> check IE status bar, there is usually displayed 'Done' text. However, it
> doesn't mean that all JavaScript files were downloaded completely. IE
> downloads remaining JavaScript files in background.
>
> Current behavior causes a lot of troubles with our automation. For example,
> QTP returns information that some requested page was downloaded (rendered)
> successfully. Then I click on some link on that page. IE browser raises a
> JavaScript error due to missing JavaScript function. This error appears
> because the link triggers some JavaScript function. JavaScript file with
> required function was not downloaded yet on client when I clicked on the link.
>
> We are forced to use some delays to avoid this unpredictable behavior. This
> solution has a disadvantage. Required delay depends on current network
> traffic. So our automation fails randomly due to this issue. We don't want to
> use huge timeouts since it depreciate our automation. I have not found any
> solution yet. I don't know how to verify that the page was downloaded
> completely.
>
> To be honest, we are facing this issue in FF as well.
>
> It is really nice that all browsers have cool design. However, we would
> appreciate adding such functionality that allows automation staff writing
> better scripts. We must ensure that our products work in various browsers.
> From our perspective, we don't need to test browser features.
>
> I would like to ask you if there is any possibility how to verify that some
> web page was downloaded completely - including all JavaScript files? Does IE
> browser provide any variable that can be checked? As I mentioned above, I
> cannot verify IE status bar. This feature would be highly valuable for use.
> It would allow us to prepare better automation.

Would be better asked in the MSDN forum for IE web development.

---