Internet explorer 7.0 cannot connect to AVG website

cuscus

Internet explorer 7.0 cannot connect to AVG website
I work with IE 7.0 and Silverlight and Windows XP. I had a Trojan Horse Fake
Alert virus which my AVG 7.5 caught & healed. When this Virus appeared it
also brought a file called Rapid Antivirus which took over everything in my
computer and my AVG wasn't working anymore. I deal with Bell (Sympatico) so
I downloaded a utility called Scan & Clean which really did clean up
everything to do with Rapid Antivirus. I had to uninstall my AVG and
download version 8.0 but I cannot update my software because I keep getting
the message: the connection failed. I tried to go into their website, to no
avail. Can you suggest anything?
--
cuscus
Daniel Crichton

Re: Internet explorer 7.0 cannot connect to AVG website
cuscus wrote on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:32:05 -0800:

> I work with IE 7.0 and Silverlight and Windows XP. I had a Trojan
> Horse Fake
> Alert virus which my AVG 7.5 caught & healed. When this Virus appeared
> it also brought a file called Rapid Antivirus which took over
> everything in my computer and my AVG wasn't working anymore. I deal
> with Bell (Sympatico) so
> I downloaded a utility called Scan & Clean which really did clean up
> everything to do with Rapid Antivirus. I had to uninstall my AVG and
> download version 8.0 but I cannot update my software because I keep
> getting the message: the connection failed. I tried to go into their
> website, to no avail. Can you suggest anything?

Have you checked the HOSTS file (in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) to see
if this "Rapid Antivirus" added entries to this file? If so, remove them
(you can edit the file with a text editor) and you should be able to access
the site again unless there is something else blocking access.

--
Dan

Re: Internet explorer 7.0 cannot connect to AVG website
You've got more work to do (and AVG Free v8.0 isn't working properly anyway,
even w/out updated defs).

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm