IE7 Missing Vertical Scroll Bars...

NewMan

IE7 Missing Vertical Scroll Bars...
I have a computer where a particular sub-page of a web site is missing
its vertical scroll bars when viewed with IE7.

I downgraded to IE6, and IE6 works properly. I re-installed IE7, and
the problem came back.

I also downloaded FireFox 3, and it displays the web page properly.

I have done some Googling, and I cannot find what appears to be a
clear answer on this.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Missing Vertical Scroll Bars...
Hi,
Knowing the URL of the page would be helpful. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"NewMan" <cloakedrun2001@NOSPAM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I have a computer where a particular sub-page of a web site is missing
> its vertical scroll bars when viewed with IE7.
>
> I downgraded to IE6, and IE6 works properly. I re-installed IE7, and
> the problem came back.
>
> I also downloaded FireFox 3, and it displays the web page properly.
>
> I have done some Googling, and I cannot find what appears to be a
> clear answer on this.
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Daniel Crichton

NewMan wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:53:26 -0800:

> I have a computer where a particular sub-page of a web site is missing
> its vertical scroll bars when viewed with IE7.

> I downgraded to IE6, and IE6 works properly. I re-installed IE7, and
> the problem came back.

> I also downloaded FireFox 3, and it displays the web page properly.

> I have done some Googling, and I cannot find what appears to be a clear
> answer on this.

> Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I've seen this before on the MSDN site where IE7 had been given an IE6
UserAgent string for testing another site, and it was causing a script on
the MSDN site to set the wrong attributes on the page in javascript such
that it was disabling the scrollbars. It may be unrelated, but it's worth
looking at.

Is this particular page publicly viewable? If so posting the URL to it would
at least allow some of us to look at the source and see if there is
something obvious that is causing this.

--
Dan

NewMan

Re: IE7 Missing Vertical Scroll Bars...
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:36:44 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
<msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote:

>NewMan wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:53:26 -0800:
>
>> I have a computer where a particular sub-page of a web site is missing
>> its vertical scroll bars when viewed with IE7.

>> I downgraded to IE6, and IE6 works properly. I re-installed IE7, and
>> the problem came back.

>> I also downloaded FireFox 3, and it displays the web page properly.

>> I have done some Googling, and I cannot find what appears to be a clear
>> answer on this.

>> Any ideas greatly appreciated.

>I've seen this before on the MSDN site where IE7 had been given an IE6
>UserAgent string for testing another site, and it was causing a script on
>the MSDN site to set the wrong attributes on the page in javascript such
>that it was disabling the scrollbars. It may be unrelated, but it's worth
>looking at.
>
>Is this particular page publicly viewable? If so posting the URL to it would
>at least allow some of us to look at the source and see if there is
>something obvious that is causing this.

As part of ,y Googling, I found the info on the user agent. I should
clarify, the computer in question is my wife's computer. She is *not*
particularly computer literate, and the computer is not shared.

Having said that, I did resert the user agent string "just in case",
to no avail.

Here is the problematic URL:

http://www.canadianliving.com/forums/

If I go to http://www.canadianliving.com/
the scroll bars are just fine. But click on "Forums" with IE7 and the
scroll bars disappear.

You make an interesting point though about Java! Java just recently
went from update 7 to update 10 to update 11! I have a copy of Java 7
at work. Perhaps I will bring it home and try using that tonight.

Thanks guys.
Daniel Crichton

NewMan wrote on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:00:53 -0800:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:36:44 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
> <msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote:

>> NewMan wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:53:26 -0800:

>>> I have a computer where a particular sub-page of a web site is
>>> missing its vertical scroll bars when viewed with IE7.

>>> I downgraded to IE6, and IE6 works properly. I re-installed IE7, and
>>> the problem came back.

>>> I also downloaded FireFox 3, and it displays the web page properly.

>>> I have done some Googling, and I cannot find what appears to be a
>>> clear answer on this.

>>> Any ideas greatly appreciated.

>> I've seen this before on the MSDN site where IE7 had been given an
>> IE6
>> UserAgent string for testing another site, and it was causing a
>> script on the MSDN site to set the wrong attributes on the page in
>> javascript such that it was disabling the scrollbars. It may be
>> unrelated, but it's worth looking at.

>> Is this particular page publicly viewable? If so posting the URL to
>> it would at least allow some of us to look at the source and see if
>> there is something obvious that is causing this.

> As part of ,y Googling, I found the info on the user agent. I should
> clarify, the computer in question is my wife's computer. She is *not*
> particularly computer literate, and the computer is not shared.

> Having said that, I did resert the user agent string "just in case", to
> no avail.

> Here is the problematic URL:

> http://www.canadianliving.com/forums/

> If I go to http://www.canadianliving.com/
> the scroll bars are just fine. But click on "Forums" with IE7 and the
> scroll bars disappear.

> You make an interesting point though about Java! Java just recently
> went from update 7 to update 10 to update 11! I have a copy of Java 7
> at work. Perhaps I will bring it home and try using that tonight.

> Thanks guys.

That page doesn't show scrollbars for me in IE7 here either. In the HTML
there is a conditional comment to load an IE7 specific CSS file, and the
first thing in that file is

body{
overflow:hidden;
}

This is causing the scrollbars to "disappear" - what it's doing is telling
IE7 that if the contents of the body overflows it's container (the browser
window in this case) that the rest should be hidden. IE7 doesn't show any
scrollbars because there's nothing to scroll down to - it's been told to
hide all the extra content.

You'll need to contact the site admin and ask them to edit that CSS file and
remove the above part.

--
Dan

NewMan

Re: IE7 Missing Vertical Scroll Bars...
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:43:11 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
<msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote:

>NewMan wrote on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:00:53 -0800:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:36:44 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
>> <msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote:

> >> I've seen this before on the MSDN site where IE7 had been given an
> >> IE6
> >> UserAgent string for testing another site, and it was causing a
> >> script on the MSDN site to set the wrong attributes on the page in
> >> javascript such that it was disabling the scrollbars. It may be
> >> unrelated, but it's worth looking at.

> >> Is this particular page publicly viewable? If so posting the URL to
> >> it would at least allow some of us to look at the source and see if
> >> there is something obvious that is causing this.

>> As part of ,y Googling, I found the info on the user agent. I should
>> clarify, the computer in question is my wife's computer. She is *not*
>> particularly computer literate, and the computer is not shared.

>> Having said that, I did resert the user agent string "just in case", to
>> no avail.

>> Here is the problematic URL:

>> http://www.canadianliving.com/forums/

>> If I go to http://www.canadianliving.com/
>> the scroll bars are just fine. But click on "Forums" with IE7 and the
>> scroll bars disappear.

>> You make an interesting point though about Java! Java just recently
>> went from update 7 to update 10 to update 11! I have a copy of Java 7
>> at work. Perhaps I will bring it home and try using that tonight.

>> Thanks guys.

>That page doesn't show scrollbars for me in IE7 here either. In the HTML
>there is a conditional comment to load an IE7 specific CSS file, and the
>first thing in that file is
>
>body{
>overflow:hidden;
>}
>
>This is causing the scrollbars to "disappear" - what it's doing is telling
>IE7 that if the contents of the body overflows it's container (the browser
>window in this case) that the rest should be hidden. IE7 doesn't show any
>scrollbars because there's nothing to scroll down to - it's been told to
>hide all the extra content.
>
>You'll need to contact the site admin and ask them to edit that CSS file and
>remove the above part.

Done! My wife e-mailed them on the weekedn, and the site is now
working just fine.

Thanks!