ie 7 64 bit

theclyburns

ie 7 64 bit
i installed win xp pro 64 bit and made the mistake of letting it upgrade me
to ie 7 64 bit. how do i change it to 32 bit?

Re: ie 7 64 bit
[[Forwarded to Win64Bit General newsgroup via crosspost]]

theclyburns wrote:
> i installed win xp pro 64 bit and made the mistake of letting it upgrade
> me
> to ie 7 64 bit. how do i change it to 32 bit?

Carlos

Re: ie 7 64 bit
Hi,
XP pro 64-bit includes both IE-32 bit and IE-64 bit.
Both can coexist and used separately.
IE-32 bit can be easily launched if you enable the quicklaunch toolbar in
the taskbar.
It is the icon with the letter "E".
Carlos

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [[Forwarded to Win64Bit General newsgroup via crosspost]]
>
> theclyburns wrote:
> > i installed win xp pro 64 bit and made the mistake of letting it upgrade
> > me
> > to ie 7 64 bit. how do i change it to 32 bit?

theclyburns

Re: ie 7 64 bit
I activated the quick launch bar but the only ie listed is the 64 bit
version. also did some searching and based on something i read about vista i
went into c:\program files(x86)\internet explorer and tried that one but it
too is 64 bit. if i reinstalled ie 6(which came with the xp pro) would that
get rid of ie 7 64 bit?

"Carlos" wrote:

> Hi,
> XP pro 64-bit includes both IE-32 bit and IE-64 bit.
> Both can coexist and used separately.
> IE-32 bit can be easily launched if you enable the quicklaunch toolbar in
> the taskbar.
> It is the icon with the letter "E".
> Carlos
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [[Forwarded to Win64Bit General newsgroup via crosspost]]
> >
> > theclyburns wrote:
> > > i installed win xp pro 64 bit and made the mistake of letting it upgrade
> > > me
> > > to ie 7 64 bit. how do i change it to 32 bit?

Daniel Crichton

Re: ie 7 64 bit
You can't "get rid" of IE 64-bit on XP 64-bit. If you go to Start> Program
Files > Accessories > System Tools (I think) there should be an Internet
Explorer (32-bit) icon - just copy that to your desktop and use that rather
than the "normal" IE icon.

Dan

theclyburns wrote on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:11:01 -0800:

> I activated the quick launch bar but the only ie listed is the 64 bit
> version. also did some searching and based on something i read about
> vista i went into c:\program files(x86)\internet explorer and tried
> that one but it too is 64 bit. if i reinstalled ie 6(which came with
> the xp pro) would that get rid of ie 7 64 bit?

> "Carlos" wrote:

>> Hi,
>> XP pro 64-bit includes both IE-32 bit and IE-64 bit.
>> Both can coexist and used separately.
>> IE-32 bit can be easily launched if you enable the quicklaunch
>> toolbar in the taskbar.
>> It is the icon with the letter "E".
>> Carlos

>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>>> [[Forwarded to Win64Bit General newsgroup via crosspost]]

Bobby Johnson

Re: ie 7 64 bit
Windows XP x64 has both 32-bit and 64-bit I.E.6 in the
install package. The icon for the 32-bit I.E.6 is the
default and it has to be changed manually to change that.
When I.E.7 installs there is both 32-bit and 64-bit version
in the package. If no one has changed the default from
32-bit to 64-bit the icon will still point to the 32-bit I.E.7.

The only way this gets changed around is some one has to
deliberately make the change.

The I.E.6 for XP Pro/Home will not install in Win x64 - you
need a 64-bit package.

theclyburns wrote:
> I activated the quick launch bar but the only ie listed is the 64 bit
> version. also did some searching and based on something i read about vista i
> went into c:\program files(x86)\internet explorer and tried that one but it
> too is 64 bit. if i reinstalled ie 6(which came with the xp pro) would that
> get rid of ie 7 64 bit?
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> XP pro 64-bit includes both IE-32 bit and IE-64 bit.
>> Both can coexist and used separately.
>> IE-32 bit can be easily launched if you enable the quicklaunch toolbar in
>> the taskbar.
>> It is the icon with the letter "E".
>> Carlos
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> [[Forwarded to Win64Bit General newsgroup via crosspost]]

Carlos

Re: ie 7 64 bit
Hi,
Let's check which Internet Explorer (32 or 64) you are running.
Press simultaneously Shift-Ctrl-Esc to bring up the task manager and go to
the "Processes" tab.
Look for the "iexplore.exe" process.
It will be IE-32 if you can see an *32 beside it.
If there is no *32 then it is IE-64.
Could you check that, please?
Carlos

"theclyburns" wrote:

> I activated the quick launch bar but the only ie listed is the 64 bit
> version. also did some searching and based on something i read about vista i
> went into c:\program files(x86)\internet explorer and tried that one but it
> too is 64 bit. if i reinstalled ie 6(which came with the xp pro) would that
> get rid of ie 7 64 bit?
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > XP pro 64-bit includes both IE-32 bit and IE-64 bit.
> > Both can coexist and used separately.
> > IE-32 bit can be easily launched if you enable the quicklaunch toolbar in
> > the taskbar.
> > It is the icon with the letter "E".
> > Carlos
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > [[Forwarded to Win64Bit General newsgroup via crosspost]]

theclyburns

Re: ie 7 64 bit
Thanks. I checked and it says *32 but i know it's not running 32 because when
i tried to download and install shockwave player it informed me that it will
only work on a 32 bit browser not 64 bit because they had not fixed that
situation yet. i also did the start/programs/accessories/system tools and
there is an internet explorer listed there but it says with add-ons disabled.
it looks like the right one i am looking for but how do i re-enable the
add-ons?

"Carlos" wrote:

> Hi,
> Let's check which Internet Explorer (32 or 64) you are running.
> Press simultaneously Shift-Ctrl-Esc to bring up the task manager and go to
> the "Processes" tab.
> Look for the "iexplore.exe" process.
> It will be IE-32 if you can see an *32 beside it.
> If there is no *32 then it is IE-64.
> Could you check that, please?
> Carlos
>

> "theclyburns" wrote:
>
> > I activated the quick launch bar but the only ie listed is the 64 bit
> > version. also did some searching and based on something i read about vista i
> > went into c:\program files(x86)\internet explorer and tried that one but it
> > too is 64 bit. if i reinstalled ie 6(which came with the xp pro) would that
> > get rid of ie 7 64 bit?
> >
> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > XP pro 64-bit includes both IE-32 bit and IE-64 bit.
> > > Both can coexist and used separately.
> > > IE-32 bit can be easily launched if you enable the quicklaunch toolbar in
> > > the taskbar.
> > > It is the icon with the letter "E".
> > > Carlos

Carlos

Re: ie 7 64 bit
Hi,
If it says *32 then IT IS IE-32, have no doubt about it!
Anyway, as I am at an XP32 machine right now you will have to do the
homework by yourself.
Search for "iexplore.exe" under the \windows folder and subfolders.
There should be at least two of them.
Execute only one of them and see its "bitness" in task manager (the
Shift-Ctrl-Esc thingie), close it and execute the other one.
Once you have identified the 32-bit one, just create a shortcut to it
wherever you like.
Carlos

"theclyburns" wrote:

> Thanks. I checked and it says *32 but i know it's not running 32 because when
> i tried to download and install shockwave player it informed me that it will
> only work on a 32 bit browser not 64 bit because they had not fixed that
> situation yet. i also did the start/programs/accessories/system tools and
> there is an internet explorer listed there but it says with add-ons disabled.
> it looks like the right one i am looking for but how do i re-enable the
> add-ons?
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Let's check which Internet Explorer (32 or 64) you are running.
> > Press simultaneously Shift-Ctrl-Esc to bring up the task manager and go to
> > the "Processes" tab.
> > Look for the "iexplore.exe" process.
> > It will be IE-32 if you can see an *32 beside it.
> > If there is no *32 then it is IE-64.
> > Could you check that, please?
> > Carlos
> >

> > "theclyburns" wrote:
> >
> > > I activated the quick launch bar but the only ie listed is the 64 bit
> > > version. also did some searching and based on something i read about vista i
> > > went into c:\program files(x86)\internet explorer and tried that one but it
> > > too is 64 bit. if i reinstalled ie 6(which came with the xp pro) would that
> > > get rid of ie 7 64 bit?

R. C. White

Re: ie 7 64 bit
Hi, Carlos.

It's even easier than that....

In IE (6, 7 or 8 - and maybe 5), just click Help | About Internet Explorer.
If it says 64-bit edition, then it is 64-bit. If it doesn't say 64-bit,
then it's 32-bit.

(And, of course, if you are running 32-bit WinXP or Vista, then IE is
32-bit.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA