IE6 problem? No popups, Windows Update stuck, etc.

ohaya

IE6 problem? No popups, Windows Update stuck, etc.
Hi,

I started noticing that my IE6 seems to be working (or not working)
strangely today.

One thing is that when I got to a website that and click on something
(e.g., a link or button) that normally opens a new window, nothing happens.

I'm also no longer getting that yellow bar at the top when I click to
download something.

Finally, when I try to go to Windows Update, I get to the page where
it's asking to install a new installer, I click "Install Now", and then
get a page that says "Windows Update is downloading and installing the
updated software", then it just sits there (i.e., the new Windows Update
software doesn't seem to get loaded).

I've run Ad-aware, and it didn't find anything. I also have Symantec
Antivirus, and it's not found anything.

Any ideas what might be happening and how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya

Re: IE6 problem? No popups, Windows Update stuck, etc.

ohaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started noticing that my IE6 seems to be working (or not working)
> strangely today.
>
> One thing is that when I got to a website that and click on something
> (e.g., a link or button) that normally opens a new window, nothing happens.
>
> I'm also no longer getting that yellow bar at the top when I click to
> download something.
>
> Finally, when I try to go to Windows Update, I get to the page where
> it's asking to install a new installer, I click "Install Now", and then
> get a page that says "Windows Update is downloading and installing the
> updated software", then it just sits there (i.e., the new Windows Update
> software doesn't seem to get loaded).
>
> I've run Ad-aware, and it didn't find anything. I also have Symantec
> Antivirus, and it's not found anything.
>
> Any ideas what might be happening and how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

BTW, I have Netscape 7.1 on this machine, which I rarely use, and on
those same sites where clicking on a link or button, it works, whereas
now IE6 doesn't.

ohaya wrote:

> ohaya wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I started noticing that my IE6 seems to be working (or not working)
>> strangely today.
>>
>> One thing is that when I got to a website that and click on something
>> (e.g., a link or button) that normally opens a new window, nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> I'm also no longer getting that yellow bar at the top when I click to
>> download something.
>>
>> Finally, when I try to go to Windows Update, I get to the page where
>> it's asking to install a new installer, I click "Install Now", and
>> then get a page that says "Windows Update is downloading and
>> installing the updated software", then it just sits there (i.e., the
>> new Windows Update software doesn't seem to get loaded).
>>
>> I've run Ad-aware, and it didn't find anything. I also have Symantec
>> Antivirus, and it's not found anything.
>>
>> Any ideas what might be happening and how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>

> Hi,
>
> BTW, I have Netscape 7.1 on this machine, which I rarely use, and on
> those same sites where clicking on a link or button, it works, whereas
> now IE6 doesn't.
>
> Jim

Hi,

I think that I've been able to replicate the problem. I created a
simple HTML file containing Javascript to open a window:

====================================
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<Script Language="JavaScript">
<!-- Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Guide to
Professional Web Site Design and Development
function load() {
var load =
window.open('http://www.yahoo.com','','scrollbars=no,menubar=no,height =600,width=800,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=n o,status=no');
}
// -->
</Script>

</HEAD>
<BODY>
</BODY>
</HTML>
====================================

When I open that HTML in IE, and click on the "Open Window" link,
nothing happens.

If I open that same HTML in Netscape 7.1, I get a new window opened,
with Yahoo page showing.

Anyone know why this might be, and more importantly, how to fix the problem?

If this is the wrong newsgroup for this, pls point me to one that is
more appropriate.

ohaya wrote:

> ohaya wrote:
>

>> ohaya wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I started noticing that my IE6 seems to be working (or not working)
>>> strangely today.
>>>
>>> One thing is that when I got to a website that and click on something
>>> (e.g., a link or button) that normally opens a new window, nothing
>>> happens.
>>>
>>> I'm also no longer getting that yellow bar at the top when I click to
>>> download something.
>>>
>>> Finally, when I try to go to Windows Update, I get to the page where
>>> it's asking to install a new installer, I click "Install Now", and
>>> then get a page that says "Windows Update is downloading and
>>> installing the updated software", then it just sits there (i.e., the
>>> new Windows Update software doesn't seem to get loaded).
>>>
>>> I've run Ad-aware, and it didn't find anything. I also have Symantec
>>> Antivirus, and it's not found anything.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what might be happening and how to fix this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> BTW, I have Netscape 7.1 on this machine, which I rarely use, and on
>> those same sites where clicking on a link or button, it works, whereas
>> now IE6 doesn't.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Hi,
>
> I think that I've been able to replicate the problem. I created a
> simple HTML file containing Javascript to open a window:
>
> ====================================
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <Script Language="JavaScript">
> <!-- Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Guide to
> Professional Web Site Design and Development
> function load() {
> var load =
> window.open('http://www.yahoo.com','','scrollbars=no,menubar=no,height =600,width=800,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=n o,status=no');
>
> }
> // -->
> </Script>
>

> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
> ====================================
>
> When I open that HTML in IE, and click on the "Open Window" link,
> nothing happens.
>
> If I open that same HTML in Netscape 7.1, I get a new window opened,
> with Yahoo page showing.
>
> Anyone know why this might be, and more importantly, how to fix the
> problem?
>
> If this is the wrong newsgroup for this, pls point me to one that is
> more appropriate.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

I just noted that if I have a webpage being displayed in the IE6, and
right click a link on the page and then select "Open in a new window",
NOTHING happens!

HELP! What could be going on with this?

Thanks,
Jim

Don Varnau

"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message

> ohaya wrote:
> >
> > ohaya wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I started noticing that my IE6 seems to be working (or not working)
> >> strangely today.
> >>
> >> One thing is that when I got to a website that and click on something
> >> (e.g., a link or button) that normally opens a new window, nothing
> >> happens.
> >>
> >> I'm also no longer getting that yellow bar at the top when I click to
> >> download something.
> >>
> >> Finally, when I try to go to Windows Update, I get to the page where
> >> it's asking to install a new installer, I click "Install Now", and
> >> then get a page that says "Windows Update is downloading and
> >> installing the updated software", then it just sits there (i.e., the
> >> new Windows Update software doesn't seem to get loaded).
> >>
> >> I've run Ad-aware, and it didn't find anything. I also have Symantec
> >> Antivirus, and it's not found anything.
> >>
> >> Any ideas what might be happening and how to fix this?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jim
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > BTW, I have Netscape 7.1 on this machine, which I rarely use, and on
> > those same sites where clicking on a link or button, it works, whereas
> > now IE6 doesn't.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Hi,
>
> I think that I've been able to replicate the problem. I created a
> simple HTML file containing Javascript to open a window:
>
> ====================================
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <Script Language="JavaScript">
> <!-- Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Guide to
> Professional Web Site Design and Development
> function load() {
> var load =

window.open('http://www.yahoo.com','','scrollbars=no,menubar=no,height =600,w
idth=800,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,stat us=no');
> }
> // -->
> </Script>
>

> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
> ====================================
>
> When I open that HTML in IE, and click on the "Open Window" link,
> nothing happens.
>
> If I open that same HTML in Netscape 7.1, I get a new window opened,
> with Yahoo page showing.
>
> Anyone know why this might be, and more importantly, how to fix the

problem?

> If this is the wrong newsgroup for this, pls point me to one that is
> more appropriate.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

- - -

Hi,

1. Clear the Temporary Internet Files (just because)
2. Disable any third-party pop-up blockers- Yahoo toolbar, Google toolbar,
etc.
3. Are you running a Norton security suite or just Norton AV? At any rate,
see if the problems persist if NAV is disabled.
4. Any other security programs running?
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau wrote:

> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>ohaya wrote:

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>BTW, I have Netscape 7.1 on this machine, which I rarely use, and on
>>>those same sites where clicking on a link or button, it works, whereas
>>>now IE6 doesn't.
>>>
>>>Jim
>>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I think that I've been able to replicate the problem. I created a
>>simple HTML file containing Javascript to open a window:
>>
>>====================================
>><HTML>
>><HEAD>
>><Script Language="JavaScript">
>><!-- Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Guide to
>>Professional Web Site Design and Development
>>function load() {
>>var load =
>>

> window.open('http://www.yahoo.com','','scrollbars=no,menubar=no,height =600,w
> idth=800,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,stat us=no');
>
>>}
>>// -->
>></Script>
>>

>></HEAD>
>><BODY>
>></BODY>
>></HTML>
>>====================================
>>
>>When I open that HTML in IE, and click on the "Open Window" link,
>>nothing happens.
>>
>>If I open that same HTML in Netscape 7.1, I get a new window opened,
>>with Yahoo page showing.
>>
>>Anyone know why this might be, and more importantly, how to fix the

> problem?
>
>>If this is the wrong newsgroup for this, pls point me to one that is
>>more appropriate.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jim

> - - -
>
> Hi,
>
> 1. Clear the Temporary Internet Files (just because)
> 2. Disable any third-party pop-up blockers- Yahoo toolbar, Google toolbar,
> etc.
> 3. Are you running a Norton security suite or just Norton AV? At any rate,
> see if the problems persist if NAV is disabled.
> 4. Any other security programs running?
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

Don,

Re. 1) I've already cleared Temporary Internet Files (several times) and
restarted the system after also

Re. 2) I don't have anything like those on this machine, at least as far
as I'm aware.

Re. 3) I'm just running Symantec Antivirus (from the company I work
for), not the suite. I also use Ad-aware, but use that to do manual
scans. I'll try to disable Symantec and see what happens and will post
back.

Re. 4) Nothing other than I've mentioned, e.g., Ad-aware.

FYI, I also did a Hijackthis scan, and it doesn't look like anything weird.

Thanks, I really appreciate your response.

ohaya wrote:

> ohaya wrote:
>

>> ohaya wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> BTW, I have Netscape 7.1 on this machine, which I rarely use, and on
>>> those same sites where clicking on a link or button, it works,
>>> whereas now IE6 doesn't.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that I've been able to replicate the problem. I created a
>> simple HTML file containing Javascript to open a window:
>>
>> ====================================
>> <HTML>
>> <HEAD>
>> <Script Language="JavaScript">
>> <!-- Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Guide to
>> Professional Web Site Design and Development
>> function load() {
>> var load =
>> window.open('http://www.yahoo.com','','scrollbars=no,menubar=no,height =600,width=800,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=n o,status=no');
>>
>> }
>> // -->
>> </Script>
>>

>> </HEAD>
>> <BODY>
>> </BODY>
>> </HTML>
>> ====================================
>>
>> When I open that HTML in IE, and click on the "Open Window" link,
>> nothing happens.
>>
>> If I open that same HTML in Netscape 7.1, I get a new window opened,
>> with Yahoo page showing.
>>
>> Anyone know why this might be, and more importantly, how to fix the
>> problem?
>>
>> If this is the wrong newsgroup for this, pls point me to one that is
>> more appropriate.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>

> Hi,
>
> I just noted that if I have a webpage being displayed in the IE6, and
> right click a link on the page and then select "Open in a new window",
> NOTHING happens!
>
> HELP! What could be going on with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

I tried disabling the antivirus, and still the same thing.

FYI, I've also tried re-registering shell32.dll and showdocvw.dll (found
that suggestion on a google). Same thing.

What is really strange is that right-clicking on a link then selecting
"Open in a new window" doesn't work (tried it on another machine)? That
seems to indicate that the problem is "inside" IE6, doesn't it? I mean
Javascript, etc. wouldn't be involved in doing that?

Jim

Don Varnau

> Don Varnau wrote:
>
> > "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I think that I've been able to replicate the problem. I created a
> >>simple HTML file containing Javascript to open a window:
> >>
> >>====================================
> >><HTML>
> >><HEAD>
> >><Script Language="JavaScript">
> >><!-- Script courtesy of http://www.web-source.net - Your Guide to
> >>Professional Web Site Design and Development
> >>function load() {
> >>var load =

window.open('http://www.yahoo.com','','scrollbars=no,menubar=no,height =600,w
> > idth=800,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,stat us=no');
> >
> >>}
> >>// -->
> >></Script>
> >>

> >></HEAD>
> >><BODY>
> >></BODY>
> >></HTML>
> >>====================================
> >>
> >>When I open that HTML in IE, and click on the "Open Window" link,
> >>nothing happens.
> >>
> >>If I open that same HTML in Netscape 7.1, I get a new window opened,
> >>with Yahoo page showing.
> >>
> >>Anyone know why this might be, and more importantly, how to fix the

> > problem?
> >
> >>If this is the wrong newsgroup for this, pls point me to one that is
> >>more appropriate.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Jim

> > - - -
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > 1. Clear the Temporary Internet Files (just because)
> > 2. Disable any third-party pop-up blockers- Yahoo toolbar, Google

toolbar,
> > etc.
> > 3. Are you running a Norton security suite or just Norton AV? At any

rate,
> > see if the problems persist if NAV is disabled.
> > 4. Any other security programs running?
> > -
> > Hope this helps,
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> Don,
>
> Re. 1) I've already cleared Temporary Internet Files (several times) and
> restarted the system after also
>
> Re. 2) I don't have anything like those on this machine, at least as far
> as I'm aware.
>
> Re. 3) I'm just running Symantec Antivirus (from the company I work
> for), not the suite. I also use Ad-aware, but use that to do manual
> scans. I'll try to disable Symantec and see what happens and will post
> back.
>
> Re. 4) Nothing other than I've mentioned, e.g., Ad-aware.
>
> FYI, I also did a Hijackthis scan, and it doesn't look like anything

weird.

> Thanks, I really appreciate your response.
>
> Jim

- - -
See if right-click> open in a new window works if you startup in Safe Mode
with Networking. You won't be able to run this test if the internet
connection is DSL / PPPoE.
-

Don Varnau wrote:
> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>Don Varnau wrote:
>>

>>>"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>news:Oxj4Xo%23WJHA.5980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl. ..

> window.open('http://www.yahoo.com','','scrollbars=no,menubar=no,height =600,w
>
>>>idth=800,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,s tatus=no');

>>>problem?

>>>- - -
>>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>1. Clear the Temporary Internet Files (just because)
>>>2. Disable any third-party pop-up blockers- Yahoo toolbar, Google

> toolbar,
>
>>>etc.
>>>3. Are you running a Norton security suite or just Norton AV? At any

> rate,
>
>>>see if the problems persist if NAV is disabled.
>>>4. Any other security programs running?
>>>-
>>>Hope this helps,
>>>Don
>>>[MS MVP- IE]

>>Don,
>>
>>Re. 1) I've already cleared Temporary Internet Files (several times) and
>>restarted the system after also
>>
>>Re. 2) I don't have anything like those on this machine, at least as far
>>as I'm aware.
>>
>>Re. 3) I'm just running Symantec Antivirus (from the company I work
>>for), not the suite. I also use Ad-aware, but use that to do manual
>>scans. I'll try to disable Symantec and see what happens and will post
>>back.
>>
>>Re. 4) Nothing other than I've mentioned, e.g., Ad-aware.
>>
>>FYI, I also did a Hijackthis scan, and it doesn't look like anything

> weird.
>
>>Thanks, I really appreciate your response.
>>
>>Jim

> - - -
> See if right-click> open in a new window works if you startup in Safe Mode
> with Networking. You won't be able to run this test if the internet
> connection is DSL / PPPoE.
> -
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

Don,

I tried as you suggested, both with my test HTML page and with other
pages, and right-clicking, then "Open in a new window" does nothing.

It's almost as if whatever API is being used to open a new IE instance
got trashed?

I've been googling to see if there's a way to do a fresh install of IE,
and one MS page suggests installing IE7.

Would that make sense to try that?

Jim

Re: IE6 problem? No popups, Windows Update stuck, etc.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm