IE7 - Remove files from history

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

IE7 - Remove files from history
This is about the dropdownlist in the address bar. It shows me internetsites
as well as recent files. I am not interested in seeing those files, I only
want to see internet addresses in there.

I can't find a setting, is it possible to not show the files? If yes then
how do I do it?

Thanks

--
Daniel Rimmelzwaan
MVP Dynamics NAV

Re: IE7 - Remove files from history
Do a Google search on "mru delete" (w/out the quotes).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Daniel Rimmelzwaan wrote:
> This is about the dropdownlist in the address bar. It shows me
> internetsites
> as well as recent files. I am not interested in seeing those files, I only
> want to see internet addresses in there.
>
> I can't find a setting, is it possible to not show the files? If yes then
> how do I do it?
>
> Thanks

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Re: IE7 - Remove files from history
I'm not talking about clearing most recently user items, that would clear
everything, and would still mean they would show up in the first place. I am
talking about a setting that *prevents* files from showing up in my internet
explorer. To me files are irrelevant in internet explorer, I don't use IE to
browse files, I only want URL's to show up in the dropdown list.

> Do a Google search on "mru delete" (w/out the quotes).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Daniel Rimmelzwaan wrote:
>> This is about the dropdownlist in the address bar. It shows me
>> internetsites
>> as well as recent files. I am not interested in seeing those files, I
>> only
>> want to see internet addresses in there.
>>
>> I can't find a setting, is it possible to not show the files? If yes then
>> how do I do it?
>>
>> Thanks

Gordon

"Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <newsgroup@rispluspointcom> wrote in message
> I'm not talking about clearing most recently user items, that would clear
> everything, and would still mean they would show up in the first place. I
> am talking about a setting that *prevents* files from showing up in my
> internet explorer. To me files are irrelevant in internet explorer, I
> don't use IE to browse files,

Actually you do. Since IE6 and XP, Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer
are just sub-sets of the same application.....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Robert Aldwinckle

"Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <newsgroup@rispluspointcom> wrote in message news:CFB04A27-673F-4C0A-9A94-0F4F62DE9156@microsoft.com...
> This is about the dropdownlist in the address bar. It shows me internetsites as well as recent files. I am not interested in
> seeing those files, I only want to see internet addresses in there.
>
> I can't find a setting, is it possible to not show the files?

> If yes then how do I do it?

What happens if you delete My Computer from
the list of sites in History, View By Sites?
E.g. Ctrl-h, View By Sites, My Computer, right-click, Delete.

Note: I have no interest in trying this experiment for myself.

> Thanks

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Re: IE7 - Remove files from history
That much I got by myself. However, they ARE two different programs. All I
want to know is whether it is possible to filter out the files from the
dropdown list, if it is that someone would share that with me, or if it
isn't that someone would tell me 'no that is not possible'.

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are just sub-sets of the same
> application.....

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Re: IE7 - Remove files from history
Do you always answer questions by asking another question? Given that you
add that you would not do this yourself, is that going to do something to my
system that is not recommended? Given that you call this 'an experiment' it
seems you are not sure what is going to happen. Is it going to do what I
asked about in my question?

"Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <newsgroup@rispluspointcom> wrote in message news:9E8BA0CF-489C-4CA8-BBD2-95E0E9A6BD78@microsoft.com...
> Do you always answer questions by asking another question?

Frequently. Sometimes it indicates that I am making
an implicit assumption, e.g. where the poster is not being specific
enough about the scenario. Sometimes it indicates a test
I am implying they could try.

> Given that you add that you would not do this yourself, is that going to do something to my system that is not recommended?

Why would the UI provide that option if it would do
something undesirable to your system? <eg>

> Given that you call this 'an experiment' it seems you are not sure what is going to happen.

No. It means if I was interested in doing what you want
to see that is what I would try.

> Is it going to do what I asked about in my question?

Seems reasonable? ; )

Good luck

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:eaX8hDIXJHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> "Daniel Rimmelzwaan" <newsgroup@rispluspointcom> wrote in message news:CFB04A27-673F-4C0A-9A94-0F4F62DE9156@microsoft.com...
>>> If yes then how do I do it?

>> What happens if you delete My Computer from
>> the list of sites in History, View By Sites?
>> E.g. Ctrl-h, View By Sites, My Computer, right-click, Delete.
>>
>> Note: I have no interest in trying this experiment for myself.

Re: IE7 - Remove files from history
You can't exclude local MRUs when AutoComplete for Web addresses is enabled,
Daniel.

IE is part & parcel of the Windows OS. Prove it for yourself by opening a
Windows Explorer window and clicking on any bookmark in the Favorites
dropdown list.

Daniel Rimmelzwaan wrote:
> I'm not talking about clearing most recently user items, that would clear
> everything, and would still mean they would show up in the first place. I
> am
> talking about a setting that *prevents* files from showing up in my
> internet
> explorer. To me files are irrelevant in internet explorer, I don't use IE
> browse files, I only want URL's to show up in the dropdown list.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Do a Google search on "mru delete" (w/out the quotes).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Daniel Rimmelzwaan wrote:
>>> This is about the dropdownlist in the address bar. It shows me
>>> internetsites
>>> as well as recent files. I am not interested in seeing those files, I
>>> only
>>> want to see internet addresses in there.
>>>
>>> I can't find a setting, is it possible to not show the files? If yes
>>> then
>>> how do I do it?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Daniel Rimmelzwaan

Re: IE7 - Remove files from history
I did observe that web addresses show up in WE, so I was afraid that was the
case. What I was hoping for is that there would be a feature where it would
be possible to filter files out in IE and filter out web addresses from WE.
Having IE/WE be part of the OS might all make perfect sense, but from a user
perspective, there are two distinctly different purposes for the two
applications.

Thanks for your time Robear, I appreciate it.

Daniel.