IE 7 icon disappears

David Hawkins

IE 7 icon disappears
My IE desktop icon has disappeared. My IE icon on my start menu is also gone
missing.

Something happened when I ran Outlook 2003 which is not my default email
client on this laptop. It changed itself to be the default mail client, and
knocked Windows Live Mail client off the Default email client on this
laptop. When I went back and made Live Mail my default email client. My IE
desktop icon went away from my desktop, my IE icon when away on the start
menu.

Any ideas?

David

email: kb5wk@yahoo.com

Re: IE 7 icon disappears
posting to this newsgroup.

What happens if you do the following?...

Start | Run | (type) IEXPLORE.EXE | OK
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

David Hawkins wrote:
> My IE desktop icon has disappeared. My IE icon on my start menu is also
> gone
> missing.
>
> Something happened when I ran Outlook 2003 which is not my default email
> client on this laptop. It changed itself to be the default mail client,
> and
> knocked Windows Live Mail client off the Default email client on this
> laptop. When I went back and made Live Mail my default email client. My
> IE
> desktop icon went away from my desktop, my IE icon when away on the start
> menu.

David Hawkins

Re: IE 7 icon disappears
WINDOWS XP PRO with SP 3

When I run IEXPLORE.EXE

IE 7 runs

Still no icon.

Cannot locate my IE 7 icon in my start menu, my program menu, or my quick
lauch menu

Any ideas?

DH

_______________________________

posting to this newsgroup.

What happens if you do the following?...

Start | Run | (type) IEXPLORE.EXE | OK
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE 7 icon disappears
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

1. Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components | Internet Explorer
<=make sure this is checked | OK your way out & reboot if you had to recheck
it.

2a. [Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | ] Set Program Access and Defaults
| Configuration that's already checked | Browser: Select "Internet Explorer"
here.

2b. Now check your settings here: IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs |
Default web browser.

[IE should now be found in Start | (All) Programs.]

3. For the missing desktop icon, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402/

4. For the missing entry in START menu (not Start | Programs), add a
shortcut to IE7 in your Start Menu folder (typically C:\Documents and
Settings\[user]\Start Menu.

5. For the Mail Client hijack issue:

Microsoft Outlook updates change the default mail handler to Microsoft
Outlook
[ignore the reference to Outlook Express]
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13

You can reassert Windows Live Mail as your default in Set Program Access and
Defaults & then IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs. However, be aware
that installing any further OL updates will probably hijack this default
again. If you don't use OL (or OL Calender), REMOVE it from your install of
Office.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What happens if you do the following?...
>
> Start | Run | (type) IEXPLORE.EXE | OK
>
> David Hawkins wrote:
>> My IE desktop icon has disappeared. My IE icon on my start menu is also
>> gone missing.
>>
>> Something happened when I ran Outlook 2003 which is not my default email
>> client on this laptop. It changed itself to be the default mail client,
>> and
>> knocked Windows Live Mail client off the Default email client on this
>> laptop. When I went back and made Live Mail my default email client. My
>> IE
>> desktop icon went away from my desktop, my IE icon when away on the start
>> menu.

David Hawkins

Re: IE 7 icon disappears
Thank you! it worked.

________________________

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What happens if you do the following?...
>
> Start | Run | (type) IEXPLORE.EXE | OK
>
> David Hawkins wrote:
>> My IE desktop icon has disappeared. My IE icon on my start menu is also
>> gone missing.
>>
>> Something happened when I ran Outlook 2003 which is not my default email
>> client on this laptop. It changed itself to be the default mail client,
>> and
>> knocked Windows Live Mail client off the Default email client on this
>> laptop. When I went back and made Live Mail my default email client. My
>> IE
>> desktop icon went away from my desktop, my IE icon when away on the start
>> menu.

Re: IE 7 icon disappears
YW & thanks for your feedback, David.

David Hawkins wrote:
> Thank you! it worked.
>
> ________________________
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
> previous
> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]
>
> 1. Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components | Internet Explorer
> <=make sure this is checked | OK your way out & reboot if you had to
> recheck
> it.
>
> 2a. [Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | ] Set Program Access and
> Defaults
>> Configuration that's already checked | Browser: Select "Internet
>> Explorer"
>> here.

> 2b. Now check your settings here: IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs |
> Default web browser.
>
> [IE should now be found in Start | (All) Programs.]
>
> 3. For the missing desktop icon, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402/
>
> 4. For the missing entry in START menu (not Start | Programs), add a
> shortcut to IE7 in your Start Menu folder (typically C:\Documents and
> Settings\[user]\Start Menu.
>
> 5. For the Mail Client hijack issue:
>
> Microsoft Outlook updates change the default mail handler to Microsoft
> Outlook
> [ignore the reference to Outlook Express]
> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13
>
> You can reassert Windows Live Mail as your default in Set Program Access
> and
> Defaults & then IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs. However, be aware
> that installing any further OL updates will probably hijack this default
> again. If you don't use OL (or OL Calender), REMOVE it from your install
> of
> Office.
>
> David Hawkins wrote:
>> WINDOWS XP PRO with SP 3
>>
>> When I run IEXPLORE.EXE
>>
>> IE 7 runs
>>
>> Still no icon.
>>
>> Cannot locate my IE 7 icon in my start menu, my program menu, or my quick
>> lauch menu
>>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> What happens if you do the following?...
>>
>> Start | Run | (type) IEXPLORE.EXE | OK
>>
>> David Hawkins wrote:
>>> My IE desktop icon has disappeared. My IE icon on my start menu is also
>>> gone missing.
>>>
>>> Something happened when I ran Outlook 2003 which is not my default email
>>> client on this laptop. It changed itself to be the default mail client,
>>> and
>>> knocked Windows Live Mail client off the Default email client on this
>>> laptop. When I went back and made Live Mail my default email client. My
>>> IE
>>> desktop icon went away from my desktop, my IE icon when away on the
>>> start
>>> menu.