Curious loss of web access

Eric

Curious loss of web access
Hi, I have a strange and persistent problem. Periodically, and for no obvious
reason, I lose access to web pages. Any attempt to access the web via IE
produces no result and no error, just an interminable wait. This problem
affects firefox and chrome browsers also. Access is blocked for all when it
happens on one. Other computers on my home network are unaffected, I can
still issue tracert and ping commands from the command prompt successfully
using name or IP address. MSN messenger, Skype etc. are unaffected. Closing
down antivirus and firewall has no effect, it neither fixes the problem or
prevents it from occurring. Rebooting the computer cures the problem until
next time which can be 30 minutes or several days.
Clearing temporary files has no effect.
As other machines on my network (Win 2K, XP, Linux) are unaffected, the
problem must be with this computer, which is the only Vista machine I have.
Details, Laptop Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, Vista Ultimate (all updates applied) IE
Version 7.0.6001.18000 Access to the network is wireless, but another XP
laptop also using wireless networking does not experience the same problems.

I have run out of ideas, can anyone help?

TimD

RE: Curious loss of web access
I have had exactly the same problem. I have even reinstalled XP completely.
I have a suspicion there is a physical problem, but registry errors may also
be a problem? I have now got rid of those registry editor programmes. It
does seem more stable now but still is very slow. Looking at Task Manager IE7
seems to be using at some points 500,000kb of memory. Surely this cannot be
right? I am going start aseparate post about this.
--
TimD

"Eric" wrote:

> Hi, I have a strange and persistent problem. Periodically, and for no obvious
> reason, I lose access to web pages. Any attempt to access the web via IE
> produces no result and no error, just an interminable wait. This problem
> affects firefox and chrome browsers also. Access is blocked for all when it
> happens on one. Other computers on my home network are unaffected, I can
> still issue tracert and ping commands from the command prompt successfully
> using name or IP address. MSN messenger, Skype etc. are unaffected. Closing
> down antivirus and firewall has no effect, it neither fixes the problem or
> prevents it from occurring. Rebooting the computer cures the problem until
> next time which can be 30 minutes or several days.
> Clearing temporary files has no effect.
> As other machines on my network (Win 2K, XP, Linux) are unaffected, the
> problem must be with this computer, which is the only Vista machine I have.
> Details, Laptop Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, Vista Ultimate (all updates applied) IE
> Version 7.0.6001.18000 Access to the network is wireless, but another XP
> laptop also using wireless networking does not experience the same problems.
>
> I have run out of ideas, can anyone help?

Re: Curious loss of web access
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Eric wrote:
> Hi, I have a strange and persistent problem. Periodically, and for no
> obvious reason, I lose access to web pages. Any attempt to access the web
> via IE produces no result and no error, just an interminable wait. This
> problem affects firefox and chrome browsers also. Access is blocked for
> all
> when it happens on one. Other computers on my home network are unaffected,
> I can still issue tracert and ping commands from the command prompt
> successfully using name or IP address. MSN messenger, Skype etc. are
> unaffected. Closing down antivirus and firewall has no effect, it neither
> fixes the problem or prevents it from occurring. Rebooting the computer
> cures the problem until next time which can be 30 minutes or several days.
> Clearing temporary files has no effect.
> As other machines on my network (Win 2K, XP, Linux) are unaffected, the
> problem must be with this computer, which is the only Vista machine I
> have.
> Details, Laptop Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, Vista Ultimate (all updates applied)
> IE
> Version 7.0.6001.18000 Access to the network is wireless, but another XP
> laptop also using wireless networking does not experience the same
> problems.
>
> I have run out of ideas, can anyone help?

Lou

Re: Curious loss of web access
I have the same problem. I went through all of the fixes I could find and
spent an hour and a half with a live chat. I'm running IE 7 on Vista. All
of the other PCs are XP on IE 7 and are OK. This was obviously an "update
issue" or a worm of some kind. Too many users have a similar problem at the
same time.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Eric wrote:
> > Hi, I have a strange and persistent problem. Periodically, and for no
> > obvious reason, I lose access to web pages. Any attempt to access the web
> > via IE produces no result and no error, just an interminable wait. This
> > problem affects firefox and chrome browsers also. Access is blocked for
> > all
> > when it happens on one. Other computers on my home network are unaffected,
> > I can still issue tracert and ping commands from the command prompt
> > successfully using name or IP address. MSN messenger, Skype etc. are
> > unaffected. Closing down antivirus and firewall has no effect, it neither
> > fixes the problem or prevents it from occurring. Rebooting the computer
> > cures the problem until next time which can be 30 minutes or several days.
> > Clearing temporary files has no effect.
> > As other machines on my network (Win 2K, XP, Linux) are unaffected, the
> > problem must be with this computer, which is the only Vista machine I
> > have.
> > Details, Laptop Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, Vista Ultimate (all updates applied)
> > IE
> > Version 7.0.6001.18000 Access to the network is wireless, but another XP
> > laptop also using wireless networking does not experience the same
> > problems.
> >
> > I have run out of ideas, can anyone help?

Lou

Re: Curious loss of web access
Nevermind. Update issue...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Eric wrote:
> > Hi, I have a strange and persistent problem. Periodically, and for no
> > obvious reason, I lose access to web pages. Any attempt to access the web
> > via IE produces no result and no error, just an interminable wait. This
> > problem affects firefox and chrome browsers also. Access is blocked for
> > all
> > when it happens on one. Other computers on my home network are unaffected,
> > I can still issue tracert and ping commands from the command prompt
> > successfully using name or IP address. MSN messenger, Skype etc. are
> > unaffected. Closing down antivirus and firewall has no effect, it neither
> > fixes the problem or prevents it from occurring. Rebooting the computer
> > cures the problem until next time which can be 30 minutes or several days.
> > Clearing temporary files has no effect.
> > As other machines on my network (Win 2K, XP, Linux) are unaffected, the
> > problem must be with this computer, which is the only Vista machine I
> > have.
> > Details, Laptop Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, Vista Ultimate (all updates applied)
> > IE
> > Version 7.0.6001.18000 Access to the network is wireless, but another XP
> > laptop also using wireless networking does not experience the same
> > problems.
> >
> > I have run out of ideas, can anyone help?

Daniel Crichton

Eric wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 05:34:18 -0800:

> Hi, I have a strange and persistent problem. Periodically, and for no
> obvious reason, I lose access to web pages. Any attempt to access the
> web via IE produces no result and no error, just an interminable wait.
> This problem affects firefox and chrome browsers also. Access is
> blocked for all when it happens on one. Other computers on my home
> network are unaffected, I can still issue tracert and ping commands
> from the command prompt successfully using name or IP address. MSN
> messenger, Skype etc. are unaffected. Closing down antivirus and
> firewall has no effect, it neither fixes the problem or prevents it
> from occurring. Rebooting the computer cures the problem until next
> time which can be 30 minutes or several days.
> Clearing temporary files has no effect.
> As other machines on my network (Win 2K, XP, Linux) are unaffected,
> the problem must be with this computer, which is the only Vista
> machine I have.
> Details, Laptop Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, Vista Ultimate (all updates
> applied) IE
> Version 7.0.6001.18000 Access to the network is wireless, but another
> XP laptop also using wireless networking does not experience the same
> problems.

> I have run out of ideas, can anyone help?

So you're saying you lose HTTP access only? I'd be looking for an
application running that is causing this, or checking the wireless access
point/router to make sure there isn't some sort of block coming into force
due to either a scheduled restriction or some security setting.

If it's affecting Chrome and Firefox as well as IE then it's not an IE
specific issue, you might be better off posting details in a Vista
networking group.

--
Dan

chucktur916

Re: Curious loss of web access
i'm getting ready for work so i'm in a hurry. i have the same problem with my
laptop running vista ulti. change your net surcurity to a wep instead of a
wpa and the laptop should go online with no problem. of course the signal for
the other computers will drop but if you have a signal boost it might help. i
don't think its the computer but the wireless router. i changed mine one and
it worked for about 4 months and started doing it again. i'll check back with
you this evening or you can call me at 773-430-3157 and i will explain it in
detail.