IE History of "today" not showing

pwresq

IE History of "today" not showing
Well, different spin on lost history. Have IE7, XP Professional, and can
access my history for the "past" weeks, but not the current "Today." I keep
my history for many months.

I looked in security issues (use AVG); negative.
I looked in Tools, to verify days to keep History and changed the date to
keep hisotry (shorter); still negative.

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.
Don Varnau

Re: IE History of "today" not showing
Hi,
I would not be surprised if keeping history for many months has caused this
problem.

Clear the history and see if it starts working properly.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"pwresq" <pwresq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, different spin on lost history. Have IE7, XP Professional, and can
> access my history for the "past" weeks, but not the current "Today." I

keep
> my history for many months.
>
> I looked in security issues (use AVG); negative.
> I looked in Tools, to verify days to keep History and changed the date to
> keep hisotry (shorter); still negative.
>
> Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.

pwresq

Re: IE History of "today" not showing
Thanks for the reply but I don't think that will solve it. I have had many,
many weeks kept in History, and never a problem. I did delete some of the
"past weeks" but that didn't help. Thanks again for the response.
--
Best,

Paul

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> I would not be surprised if keeping history for many months has caused this
> problem.
>
> Clear the history and see if it starts working properly.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "pwresq" <pwresq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, different spin on lost history. Have IE7, XP Professional, and can
> > access my history for the "past" weeks, but not the current "Today." I

> keep
> > my history for many months.
> >
> > I looked in security issues (use AVG); negative.
> > I looked in Tools, to verify days to keep History and changed the date to
> > keep hisotry (shorter); still negative.
> >
> > Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.

Don Varnau

Re: IE History of "today" not showing
Hi,
The issue isn't necessarily the size of the History folder, but possible
corruption of the History files or the index.dat file.

If clearing the History didn't resolve this, I would next recommend deleting
the History folder and allowing Windows to create a new one.

Easy method #1:
Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/fre...ory-eraser.htm can usually delete
the History folder (and the index.dat file) and a new one will be created
when you restart.

Or the History folder can be deleted manually.
The procedure [Windows XP]
Login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in safe mode.) Make sure that you can
see hidden and system files (Folder Options> View) then delete the affected
History folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\History] Restart the computer.

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP: