How do I get extraneous bars off IE?

tommyvin

How do I get extraneous bars off IE?
Today I helped a woman set up her new computer running the windows vista OS.
I put IE as her home page but it has an ATT bar, a Yahoo! bar, and a McAffee
bar under the Google Search bar. I also see the Bookmarks function. What I'd
like for her is the simple IE page with a Favorites function. I don't know
how to get rid of the other stuff which is cluttering up her home page.

I also downloaded IE8, the beta version but don't know what to do with this.

What can I do? I'm sure there is a simple answer to all this.
Don Varnau

Re: How do I get extraneous bars off IE?
Hi,
All three of those toolbars can be disabled from IE> Tools> Manage add-ons.
If by Google Search Bar you mean the search bar to the right of the Address
Bar, I wouldn't bother trying to remove it.

Bookmarks? The Links bar? That can be uncheckd from IE> View> Toolbars.

I'm not sure why you downloaded IE8 Beta 2, but I would definitely not
install it.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"tommyvin" <tommyvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Today I helped a woman set up her new computer running the windows vista

OS.
> I put IE as her home page but it has an ATT bar, a Yahoo! bar, and a

McAffee
> bar under the Google Search bar. I also see the Bookmarks function. What

I'd
> like for her is the simple IE page with a Favorites function. I don't know
> how to get rid of the other stuff which is cluttering up her home page.
>
> I also downloaded IE8, the beta version but don't know what to do with

this.

> What can I do? I'm sure there is a simple answer to all this.

Re: How do I get extraneous bars off IE?
Uninstall ATT, Yahoo, & Google toolbars via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.
Only reinstall one of them.

Ask McAfee Support if it's cool to disable or uninstall their toolbar.

PS: Uninstall IE8 Beta 2 ASAP (if you can).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

tommyvin wrote:
> Today I helped a woman set up her new computer running the windows vista
> OS.
> I put IE as her home page but it has an ATT bar, a Yahoo! bar, and a
> McAffee
> bar under the Google Search bar. I also see the Bookmarks function. What
> I'd
> like for her is the simple IE page with a Favorites function. I don't know
> how to get rid of the other stuff which is cluttering up her home page.
>
> I also downloaded IE8, the beta version but don't know what to do with
> this.
>
> What can I do? I'm sure there is a simple answer to all this.

skp3x

RE: How do I get extraneous bars off IE?
I found that you can also right click on any of the tool bars to show which
of them are enabled/disabled... by clicking on those that you do not want,
they will be removed from sight yet still be available when and if you want
them later by simply doing the same thing.

"tommyvin" wrote:

> Today I helped a woman set up her new computer running the windows vista OS.
> I put IE as her home page but it has an ATT bar, a Yahoo! bar, and a McAffee
> bar under the Google Search bar. I also see the Bookmarks function. What I'd
> like for her is the simple IE page with a Favorites function. I don't know
> how to get rid of the other stuff which is cluttering up her home page.
>
> I also downloaded IE8, the beta version but don't know what to do with this.
>
> What can I do? I'm sure there is a simple answer to all this.

tommyvin

RE: How do I get extraneous bars off IE?
What I have on my friend's screen is Google Accounts--Windows Interntet
Explorer. How can I get just IE7 on her screen without the Google Accounts
addition? I removed IE 8 from her hard drive and saw at least a hundred of
useless programs that were preinstalled, most of which were absolute junk.
Well, I'm not going to worry about that.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

> What I have on my friend's screen is Google Accounts--Windows Interntet
> Explorer. How can I get just IE7 on her screen without the Google Accounts
> addition? I removed IE 8 from her hard drive and saw at least a hundred of
> useless programs that were preinstalled, most of which were absolute junk.
> Well, I'm not going to worry about that.

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#debrand
(Contains instructions for both Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.)

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email